How's the coffee these days?

Yellow Shoes

Original Poster
Disclaimer: I am NOT a coffee snob. I don't use beans harvested under a full moon by virgins; I don't even grind my own beans. I think the sacred Starbucks tastes like burned mud.

I'm perfectly happy with Folgers (red can) or Maxwell House (blue can--endorsed by Teddy Roosevelt) purchased from Wal-Mart.

That said, my last experience with resort food court coffee was around 2010 and it was nearly un-drinkable. (Some of you may be shocked, given what you would consider my pretty low standards).

I'm not asking about Starbucks, or some out of the way kiosk in Animal Kingdom--I'm asking about the plain 'ole black coffee in the big urns in the resorts.
I seem to recall a CM saying that it wasn't brewed--it was a concentrated coffee syrup to which hot water was added. (that explains a lot)

So....all you regular no-frills simple coffee drinkers out there...How is the basic brew at the resorts?
If it matters, my next trip will be to Wilderness Lodge.

Kevin_W

Most of the non-Starbucks coffee at WDW is Joffrey's. I don't drink coffee, but my wife is a coffee snob (she roasts and grinds her own, and hates Starbucks) and she think's Joffrey's is perfectly adequate. The Nescafe (concentrated liquid) they served back in 2010 she described as "troll swill" and she would pack her own rather than drink it.

While she drinks plenty of the Joffrey's there is some very good coffee around property - Kona cafe in the Polynesian and Tiffins in Animal Kingdom come to mind.

Mickey5150

My parents are regular coffee drinkers, not snobs, but they do grind their own beans, and they have no problem drinking coffee for breakfast and after a day at the parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Depends how bad you need a cup. I find the regular resort coffee to be OK. I am not a huge fan of Star Bucks either, I prefer the Joffrey’s. I know you said nothing out of the way, but if you happen to find yourself on the resort monorail hop off at Poly and grab a cup of the real Kona Coffee. They serve the real stuff, 100% Kona, not a blend. If you don’t want to stay for a meal at Kona Cafe you can grab a to go cup at the little sushi bar next door. Directly to the left when you get in the door from the monorail.

FCE859D9-A3B4-481A-B287-A66E0AB2D50A.jpeg

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I tend to go heavier on cream when I'm at the Disney resorts. Normally I'm a DD and Timmy fan for coffee. Agree Starbucks (and affiliated Starbucks locations) tastes like mud. Sometimes (when I remember) I bring a small single serve Kuerig with a pack of DD K-Cups. (It's easy when you drive)

Kevin_W

after a day or 2, i get used to joffrey’s. my wife is another story. she brings our mini keurig from home.

Interesting, my wife does not like Keurig at all and prefers Joffrey's. In the NEscafe days, we packed a french press and electric kettle in the luggage. :)

CaptainAmerica

The water, no matter how much I'm told that it's filtered, tastes just like it was harvested from Splash Mountain. I have yet to have a good cup of coffee at Disney, the water is horrid.
Depends on where you come from and even where you are on property. I couldn't drink the water when I lived in the midwest because it tasted like rusty batteries. Florida water is actually an improvement compared to that.

Magic Kingdom seems to be the worst offender within WDW.

Weather_Lady

The Disney-supplied Joffrey's is just fine for me (also not a coffee snob -- I prefer Dunkin Donuts or McDonald's coffee to Starbucks). I never buy it on-site, though; I just brew the coffee that is provided in my onsite hotel room. Full disclosure: I bring my own flavored powdered creamer from home, so I'm never drinking the coffee "straight" anyway.

Last edited:

mf1972

The Disney-supplied Joffrey's is just fine for me (also not a coffee snob -- I prefer Dunkin Donuts of McDonald's coffee to Starbucks). I never buy it on-site, though; I just brew the coffee that is provided in my onsite hotel room. Full disclosure: I bring my own flavored powdered creamer from home, so I'm never drinking the coffee "straight" anyway.
we did the same thing last year. brought a small powdered creamer for a change in taste. just my opinion, but i’d rather have DD coffee over starbucks & joffrey’s (runs for cover).

thumper

That’s why the bagels and pizza crust is so good. It’s the water.

Just don’t try drinking from the Hudson.

LOL - so true (as a NY'er myself and living right on the Hudson, I wouldn't even swim in it)!

So glad this thread came up as I was going to post the question as well (and I am by no means a coffee snob but require my 16 oz cup of joe to get me through the day)! When we were there last month and stayed at POFQ, the coffee was absolutely disgusting and I couldn't pinpoint the reason. I tried both the packet in the room using Zephyrilis bottled water, as well as purchasing a cup at Sassagoula Floatworks, and both were just off. I was previously at AKL in Nov 2017 and the coffee at the Mara was perfectly fine, so wasn't sure if the composition or brand changed in 9 months time (or does AKL have different coffee than the moderate resorts)? Either way - I couldn't wait to get back home to grind my beans (good old Columbian Roast from BJ's)!

Does anyone remember the "Mickey's Diner"/"Really Swell Coffee" which was sold in the canisters in the parks? What brand was that?

Nottamus

I always wondered why Disney never put Kuerig machines in their rooms.

We usually bring our own mini Kuerig, but my wife turned us into coffee snobs over the last year, so next trip we are bringing french press.

yay me.

winstongator

Depends how bad you need a cup. I find the regular resort coffee to be OK. I am not a huge fan of Star Bucks either, I prefer the Joffrey’s. I know you said nothing out of the way, but if you happen to find yourself on the resort monorail hop off at Poly and grab a cup of the real Kona Coffee. They serve the real stuff, 100% Kona, not a blend. If you don’t want to stay for a meal at Kona Cafe you can grab a to go cup at the little sushi bar next door. Directly to the left when you get in the door from the monorail.

View attachment 311467
One of my favorite spots our one stay at the Poly. It would open before most of my family would wake up. I'd sneak out for a french press. Great start to the day.

ppet

As another person who despises Starbuck's coffee, McDonalds has a better cup of coffee. I have had good luck with the in room coffee makers. I prefer to bring a small water filter or bottled water to use. Also I don't hide the taste of the coffee with sugar or creamer.

NormC

I prefer Starbucks over Dunkin' but I do not drink the Pike Place regular brew from Starbucks. It is crap. I prefer Cafe Verona or Sumatra or Komodo. Even McDonalds is better than Dunkin.

We also have Cumberland Farms which is better than Dunkin.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom