How young is too young?

RachelsMommie

Original Poster
My husband and I are considering going to WDW next spring. We are trying to decide if it's a good idea to take our daughter, who will turn 2 in March.

Any good/bad experiences with a 2-year-old at WDW. We want to stay at the Wilderness Lodge, which I think would be good for her age group. We love WDW and went the month before I got pregnant...haven't been back and need a vacation!

Thanks in advance!
Kristi :animwink:

Nut4Disney

I don't think that there is an age that is too young. We've been there while my wife was pregnant with each of our children. (our first born was even conceived there :lol: ) Our son's first official trip was at 9 months, and he is now 3.5 and has been 7 times. Our daughter's first trip was in April at 6 months. As part of our family they go where we go. We were/are very careful to not over do it. We don't stay at the parks all day, we go back to the room and take naps and get in the pool, and do relaxing things at nite. Our daughter will not remember it at 6 months, but we will. The important thing is that we experienced WDW as a family.

WDWEric

A lot of people on here will tell you 2(or 3) is to young, and that they won't remember it. We are planning a trip next spring in which my kids will be 1 and almost 3 and I can't wait!

tigsmom

We took our youngest when she was 18 months old, her sister was 7. The little one had a great time with the characters (she just loves Minnie) and on the age appropriate rides. We had to adjust our style to allow for rests and there were some things we didn't get to do, but we had a great time nonethe less.

People will say that those under 3 or 4 don't remember the trip...so what. Its the moment that counts with little kids and you will always have photos.
If you think its right for your family then it is. We love to stay at the WL and keep going back. Relax and enjoy your vacation. :wave:

shoppingnut

I don't think there is a thing as too young, if you go by that thinking you won't go on ANY type of vacation. You just plan your time around the little ones and don't expect the trip to be the same as when you had no kids and you'll be fine. You might even want to consider babysitting services for one night, so that you can have nice romantic meal for just the two of you.

erasure fan1

We had a fantastic time when my daughter was 1, 2 and 3. I think every child reacts differently I know people who said it was terrible taking a 2 yr old. I say its fine and you will have some of the best memories ever.

ScrapIron

If you subordinate most of what you would want to do in favor of what the 2 year old wants to do, bearing in mind that a bug crawling in a planter can be much more interesting to the kid than a great ride somewhere off in the distance, than it can be a good idea. If not, it's a bad idea.

Cheers.

wannab@dis

RachelsMommie said:
My husband and I are considering going to WDW next spring. We are trying to decide if it's a good idea to take our daughter, who will turn 2 in March.

Any good/bad experiences with a 2-year-old at WDW. We want to stay at the Wilderness Lodge, which I think would be good for her age group. We love WDW and went the month before I got pregnant...haven't been back and need a vacation!

Thanks in advance!
Kristi :animwink:

We took our then 20mo old this past December. She loved it and still talks about the trip. In fact, we purchased and watched Dumbo the other night and she said "I rode flying dumbo". Such a treat! She loves watching the videos that we made at the parks and asks to watch them all the time.

You will see WDW in a whole new light when you make this first trip with a child. You'll see it through their eyes and it's unbelievable what will absolutely thrill them. The little lizards that are around the resorts? At least 20 minutes was spent watching and studying that lizard. I'm sure you've seen yours squat down and study something. :lol:

She was in wide-eyed amazement on IaSW and wanted to ride the spinners over and over -- quick tip, the Alladin spinner always has a shorter line than Dumbo and they can move it up and down and tilt it. She was a little leary of the characters at first, but soon warmed up to them and by the end of the week was running up to them with her autograph book. The Castle at night and the fireworks were a source of endless gazing. You just have to wonder what they are thinking.

We made sure that we went back to the resort most afternoons and let her take a nap and she was ready to head out for an evening at the parks. Make the trip about your little one and they will enjoy every minute. We didn't get to ride all the big rides, but we actually didn't miss them in the least. We did find out that she wasn't very fond of shopping when there was a park with all the sights and sounds just outside the door.

Too young? Absolutely not! :wave:

Meandude

We took our 14 month old last September. He had a good time. You just have to pace your schedule around your little one. Make some time for breaks and rest stops.

We took our daughter who had just turned 1 last fall. She wasn't too keen on the rides (we tried dumbo and IASW and she cried the whole time). However, she loved the atmosphere and just looking at all the different sights. I agree with the previous post that if you are willing to sacrifice what you want to do in favor of your child you will have a ball.

coltow

As everyone will tell you each child is different. Only you can say if your child is too young. I for one believe that there is no such thing as too young. My son went at 8months, 22months and will be going next month at 2 1/2. The first trip we only went to the Magic Kingdom with him and spent the other days at the pool and visiting the other resorts and downtown. Our last trip was great, he new a bunch of characters and really enjoyed the rides at MK. Playhouse Disney is a great show at MGM for the little ones. My son's favorite was probably AK he loved being able to see all the animals and the petting zoo was a nice change of pace.

I say go for it. Take plenty of pictures and alot of video both will help the child remember some things and remember your feelings when your child did or saw some magical things.

Miss Bell

I personally would not want to take a child that young, but then again, my child is no longer that young. :)

I think any age works for Disney as long as you take into consideration what your child can handle. I have seen some out and out temper tantrums in the parks (and that's just the parents.) Seriously, as long as you plan breaks, snacks, and naps, you should have a great time.

schachteles

We took my daughter when she turned two and she had a good time...like other posters said, you have to take it slow.

Do I think that there is a TOO young? Yes, the people that are out there in 95 degree heat with a newborn...now that is TOTALLY crazy! I couldn't even imagine the number of tiny babies I saw...sad really.

Dwarful

Go for it. We took our girls 18mths and up. No problems. You won't do everything you would w/o kids or w/older kids but you'll have fun. Remember to offer snacks and drinks and lots of sunblock. I can't tell you how often I'd see a little one w/red skin because some parent forgot to reapply the sunblock.

justducky78

shoppingnut said:
I don't think there is a thing as too young, if you go by that thinking you won't go on ANY type of vacation. You just plan your time around the little ones and don't expect the trip to be the same as when you had no kids and you'll be fine. You might even want to consider babysitting services for one night, so that you can have nice romantic meal for just the two of you.

This is exactly what I was going to say. If you're not comfortable with a babysitter, maybe consider vacationing with close family/friends with children the same age or grandparents to help out. Then, you can at least get out on our your own for one night, while the grandparents (or someone) spends some time at the pool with your little one. Your trip will definitely be different, you'll have to go back for naps and not overdo it. But you can make it work.

For people who say, they won't remember it, if you're a wdwmagic member, you're probably not going for them anyway!! Hee, hee...:D

olive10tails

We're going in September. My son will be 2 months old-I believe any age is okay to go to WDW. As other people have mentioned, take it easy; you will go at a slower pace, but sometimes it is nice as it makes for a more relaxing vacation.

shoppingnut

justducky78 said:
For people who say, they won't remember it, if you're a wdwmagic member, you're probably not going for them anyway!! Hee, hee...:D

So true! They might not remember, but you'll have the photo's to prove it and when they get older they will get a kick out of the fact that they were there when just a "baby.":lol:

SarahBella82

We took my three-year-old niece last year, and I've decided that it must mostly depend on your child's personality. My nieces don't embrace THAT much stimulation and would have played on the playground outside Mickey and Minnie's houses all day if we'd let them. And even as they do not care about the rides (save for the Carousel), I always see kids their ages and younger who are enthralled with all of it.

I'm with the camp that says "never too young" and "it's precious time spent with your family." Have a blast!!!

maelstrom

I went to WDW when I was almost 3 (it was September and I turned 3 in January) and I did remember the trip and remember bits of it to this day.

We took my cousin for her second birthday and she remembered it for awhile but now I don't think she really remembers the trip, except that it was a fun place and she wanted to go back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom