How would you introduce kids to Peter Pan?

DBV

Original Poster
Heading down to WDW in a few weeks, and before going on the Peter pan ride, I think it would be much better if my kids (age 5 and 4) knew the story.

I thought about watching the recent movie with them, but a co-worker said it was not that good. Should I find an older version of the movie, or read them a particular book?

Suggestions are welcome.

Disneyana

I would say to show them the original animated classic. They will adore it and love it. And there is a good connection in their minds then associating the animated characters with characters featured in the attraction.

Yellow Shoes

I agree with everyone else--show them the original animated movie. The ride looks like the movie, and everything will be familiar.

I have previously suggested that parents do this very thing as part of their WDW preparations. I think the rides are a little more fun when you have seen the movies they are based on.

So while you're at Blockbuster, also grab:
Dumbo
Snow White
Alice in Wonderland
Winnie the Pooh (many to choose from here, or just catch it on the Disney channel)
a Mickey Mouse movie
Toy Story
Lilo and Stitch
A Bug's Life
Little Mermaid
...plus the ones I'm forgetting

Good for you!!

waltdisny

If you want to read the book to them there's a Disney picture-book version that tracks pretty well with the ride; you might be able to get it at the local library. I also saw it recently at Target. This is the same version I had as a kid in the 70's. I kept it and read it to my kids, until the evil NotMe ruined it. But I digress.....

I'd show them the movie on DVD. The restored version is wonderful.:D

TheDisneyGirl02

I can't believe that anybody could say that movie is bad! It's a wonderful movie with a wonderful story! Show it to your kids, and then allow them to experience one of the best (and original) rides at the park!

TheDisneyGirl02

BRER STITCH

Start with the introduction LOTS of us had...

The original GOLDEN BOOK version! Once they are familiar with the story and characters, toss in the original Disney animated feature video.

They will thank you for it!

:)

Disney_Belle

I watched peter pan (the original animated one) on saturday night and I loved it. I think any kid would enjoy it how could they not... its all about not growing up and being able to use your imagination. I think you should let your kids watch it before they go on the ride then it will make the ride that extra special

NadieMasK2

BRER STITCH said:

The original GOLDEN BOOK version! Once they are familiar with the story and characters, toss in the original Disney animated feature video.

Yes!!!! I miss my Little Golden Books!! What a great flashback!

Halfling418

I love the Disney animated version.

I also saw the play on TV when I was a child, and didn't understand why Peter was a woman--and I was disturbed--haha. It took a few years for me to realize that was the origional stage tradition, and it is beautiful in it's own way.

I know your kids are young, but when they get a wee bit older, Return to Neverland is an amazing movie, and a good way to learn the origins of the story. It has no cursing, violence, sexual activity, or anything like that(pretty sure it's PG)....it just had me blubbering like a baby. Gorgeous, gorgeous film. I love when Peter Davies (boy who inspired Peter Pan) is talking to Barrie near the beginning:

Peter--"This is absurd. It's just a dog."
J.M. Barrie-- "Just a dog? Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's just a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, 'He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man,' or 'That's not a diamond, it's just a rock.' ...Just."

*sigh*

Anyways, back to the Disney movie--I think that's a great way to introduce Peter into your children's lives. I like how Hook and Mr. Darling's voices are done by the same person, in the same fashion that in the stage production, the same actor must be used. And I love how Neverland is like a metaphor for forgotten childhood days, something we so easily forget in our quest to "grow up." When Mr. Darling finally sees the light at the end, and says his final line, it always brings tears to my eyes: "You know, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that ship before, a long time ago, when I was very young."

Kwit35

Definately show them the animated movie. However, the newer, live action version that came out 2 christmas' ago is really good. My daughter (now 4) was mesmorized by it. The little girl who plays Wendy is absolutely beautiful. Any little girl who has a great imagination will love this version, since the story is really about Wendy and the fact that she has to face the reality of growing up.
Also, whether they see either movie or not, they will still love the ride. It is fun just to fly over London and volcanos and a pirate ship.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
BRER STITCH said:

that is a definate!!! that is how i first read it (or had it read to me). then the animated version.

good luck

DanStat

DBV said:
Heading down to WDW in a few weeks, and before going on the Peter pan ride, I think it would be much better if my kids (age 5 and 4) knew the story.

I thought about watching the recent movie with them, but a co-worker said it was not that good. Should I find an older version of the movie, or read them a particular book?

Suggestions are welcome.

Finding Neverland is an excellent movie that provides the back-story to Peter Pan. You might be interested in watching it yourself. However, I feel like much would be lost in the translation from the movie to the theme park attraction. Your best bet would be the Disney animated movie, and sequel.

beauty_Belle27

nickcarraway said:
Whatever you do, don't introduce them to nicholas. For some reason, he wants Peter Pan all to himself.
:lol: i was just thinking that.The original animated version is great,and then u can move on to the new one.that one is more like J.m.Barries original peter pan,and it is beautiful.

gboiler1

The Disney Peter Pan is possibly my favorite animated classic. That said, the Peter Pan ride at MK is probably the ride closest based attraction to the movie itself.

Enjoy!

IA with everyone else...Golden Book, Disney's animated film, and Finding Neverland last (haven't seen it, but I've got plans to watch it ASAP). And, if they really enjoy Peter Pan, I think Hook is an awesome movie.

Halfling418

Oh yeah! Hook dude!

I forgot to mention that in my last post.

Good for kids to watch after they see Peter Pan....cause it's after he grows up. Robin Williams is spectacular!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom