How would Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway fit in Disneyland Paris?

mharrington

Original Poster
While I'm pretty sure it's not on the table at the moment, I believe there was a rumor that Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway would at some point be added to Disneyland Paris, presumably in Fantasyland. I'm not sure how it would fit thematically, though, particularly since it was deliberately themed around European stories. How would it fit there?

SplashJacket

How would Minnie and Mickey fit in Fantasyland ?
It wouldn’t, but it’s honestly incredible how well MMRR would’ve fit in DHS using the same “toon” theater approach.

Alternatively, it could’ve worked extremely well in Storybook circus in Magic Kingdom, giving that area a whole further level of depth and purpose.

Using the same plot line, they could use a traveling circus showcasing cartoons and then commence as normal.

I do think MMRR works thematically in the Chinese theater, I just don’t think it appropriately fills the space, which is a story for another day.

I’m curious though, I know you’ve talked about MMRR coming to Paris, are the suggestions for its placement appropriate in regards to theme? Or?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It wouldn’t, but it’s honestly incredible how well MMRR would’ve fit in DHS using the same “toon” theater approach.

Alternatively, it could’ve worked extremely well in Storybook circus in Magic Kingdom, giving that area a whole further level of depth and purpose.

Using the same plot line, they could use a traveling circus showcasing cartoons and then commence as normal.

I do think MMRR works thematically in the Chinese theater, I just don’t think it appropriately fills the space, which is a story for another day.

I’m curious though, I know you’ve talked about MMRR coming to Paris, are the suggestions for its placement appropriate in regards to theme? Or?
Absolutely it would fit -IMHO of course. Mickey is already there. Historically the Fantasylands were all about the animated films.

Personally I’d go for the plot north of the Fantasyland station - with some work for the fireworks launch site of course. It would fit like a glove. But I’ve heard vague mentions of East of Small world and of course there is the argument the studios still needs it more.

yensidtlaw1969

Absolutely it would fit -IMHO of course. Mickey is already there. Historically the Fantasylands were all about the animated films.

Personally I’d go for the plot north of the Fantasyland station - with some work for the fireworks launch site of course. It would fit like a glove. But I’ve heard vague mentions of East of Small world and of course there is the argument the studios still needs it more.

Count me in as someone who both thinks Studios needs it more and that it's a better fit there than Fantasyland. Both the concept and the animation style are too contemporary relative to the European Village stylings. It'd be like opening a Target in Troyes.

A film screening gone wrong is begging to be out in a Studios park, especially one that's already short on attractions.

That said, I also find Runaway Railway to be a little underbaked, and I don't think either park at DLP needs underwhelming new attractions.

Inspired Figment

While I'm pretty sure it's not on the table at the moment, I believe there was a rumor that Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway would at some point be added to Disneyland Paris, presumably in Fantasyland. I'm not sure how it would fit thematically, though, particularly since it was deliberately themed around European stories. How would it fit there?
Wouldn’t it be more fitting in Disney Studios Paris? Considering DLP’s Fantasyland doesn’t have a ToonTown area, that’d be the only place I can think of where it’d fit seamlessly.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Count me in as someone who both thinks Studios needs it more and that it's a better fit there than Fantasyland. Both the concept and the animation style are too contemporary relative to the European Village stylings. It'd be like opening a Target in Troyes.

A film screening gone wrong is begging to be out in a Studios park, especially one that's already short on attractions.

That said, I also find Runaway Railway to be a little underbaked, and I don't think either park at DLP needs underwhelming new attractions.
Your last paragraph especially.

yensidtlaw1969

Your last paragraph especially.
I wish it weren't so - I had hoped Disneyland was gonna take it the rest of the way, but despite some improvements the experience overall is incomplete. The showscenes feel like a temporary display rather than a fully realized cartoon world.

The preshow is nice. The queue at Disneyland is well done. That level of commitment needed to carry over to the ride itself.

I'm not sure it would compare favorably to Ratatouille if built in the same park. Rat suffers some similar issues, but fewer of them.

Animaniac93-98

Honestly, the animation style of the ride doesn't even match how Mickey is depicted in the queue at Disneyland or the rest of ToonTown.

The character had a pretty consistent look for about 60 some-odd years (both on screen and at the parks), but they decided not to base the ride around that and I can't imagine it working any better if they just duplicate it for either Paris park.

There's a small "Toon Studios" meet and greet backdrop in WDSP that could be fleshed out to a real land to host the ride, but again its design doesn't match the ride. Though that's easily fixed given what a tiny set it is.

cjkeating

I agree with the consensus that MMRR is a ride that is underwhelming and I'd rather Disneyland Park had something else (Adventureland flume ride?) however if it was to go in the rumoured plot east of IASW towards Discoveryland/Star Tours I think it would be suitably out of the way to not impact on the Fantasyland style. A bit like how IASW already sits adjacent to the main 'village' area

mharrington

Original Poster
I agree with the consensus that MMRR is a ride that is underwhelming and I'd rather Disneyland Park had something else (Adventureland flume ride?) however if it was to go in the rumoured plot east of IASW towards Discoveryland/Star Tours I think it would be suitably out of the way to not impact on the Fantasyland style. A bit like how IASW already sits adjacent to the main 'village' area

This is not about how good the ride itself is, but rather how the ride would fit into the obviously European-themed Fantasyland, if it were built there. The purpose of this thread was my concern that MMRR, with scenes set in the obviously American West-type canyon, a carnival and a big city, would seem out of place in a land otherwise devoted to Europe and European stories (save for Dumbo).

cjkeating

This is not about how good the ride itself is, but rather how the ride would fit into the obviously European-themed Fantasyland, if it were built there. The purpose of this thread was my concern that MMRR, with scenes set in the obviously American West-type canyon, a carnival and a big city, would seem out of place in a land otherwise devoted to Europe and European stories (save for Dumbo).
So how does It’s A Small World fit?

LondonTom

How does he's current theatre for meet and greets currently fit in Fantasyland?

A Toontown expansion off of Fantasyland is the answer to do it justice and expand a few more offerings but I don't it necessarily doesn't fit Fantasyland. Just about how you do the entrance.

yensidtlaw1969

Let’s go for a Pooh or Toad LPS dark ride behind the railroad station, build the other shelved Meet Mickey M&G to replace it, and stick a better MMRR in the studios.

And build the original Mermaid next to Small World.
The money I would pay to see a newly-built Mr. Toad ride 😍😍😍 . . . but I won't fool myself for a second into believing current-day Disney would even consider such a thing. Paris would be great for it, though.

I'm pleasantly surprised that neither Paris nor Tokyo ended up with a Mermaid dark ride in the wake of the American ones opening, if for no other reason than the fact that it leaves them open to do better. Build WDW's Prince Eric's Castle on the DLP Mermaid plot next to Small World and just punch up the ride to match the exterior and I'd be happy.

No idea how Tokyo hasn't built the Mermaid E-Ticket dark ride of everyone's dreams, that seems like the perfect marriage of theme and IP.

Brer Oswald

How would Minnie and Mickey fit in Fantasyland ?
0212CBBA-2EEB-490C-8A31-A291FBFEE9A5.jpeg

No clue.

yensidtlaw1969

Let’s go for a Pooh or Toad LPS dark ride behind the railroad station, build the other shelved Meet Mickey M&G to replace it, and stick a better MMRR in the studios.

And build the original Mermaid next to Small World.
Just because I'm thinking about it again, it is odd how no Pooh ride ever made its way to DLP. It's the only resort without one.

I feel like I remember hearing in the 2000's that Pooh was being considered to replace Pinocchio's Daring Journey. I'm glad that didn't happen, but you'd think he would have popped up somewhere else. Was there ever any alternative proposal?

mharrington

Original Poster
How does he's current theatre for meet and greets currently fit in Fantasyland?

A Toontown expansion off of Fantasyland is the answer to do it justice and expand a few more offerings but I don't it necessarily doesn't fit Fantasyland. Just about how you do the entrance.

I had thought of putting a smaller version of Disneyland's Toontown in Disneyland Paris and putting MMRR there, but the space seems too small.

wdrive

There's a small "Toon Studios" meet and greet backdrop in WDSP that could be fleshed out to a real land to host the ride, but again its design doesn't match the ride. Though that's easily fixed given what a tiny set it is.

I don’t think there’s much room there for anything there but a meet and greet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom