how will IP attractions hold up

CaptainAmerica

The definition of IP is weird for things like Snow White, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, etc, they are all based off public domain fairy tales, which is a bit different than things like Star Wars and Marvel.
They were all public domain fairy tales when their respective Disney movies were made, but their theme park incarnations were always based on their established movie IPs.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The definition of IP is weird for things like Snow White, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, etc, they are all based off public domain fairy tales, which is a bit different than things like Star Wars and Marvel.

Peter Pan wasn't a public domain fairy tale. Disney paid a licensing fee. Alice was public domain, but from a modern-ish novel, and not from a fairy tale.

Disney would then go on to buy up rights to Pooh and Poppins and Dalmatians and Dumbo and even Song of the South.

So a distinction between their public domain appropriations and what they bought would eliminate as being "Disney" a core body of their 'classic' movies and rides.

ppete1975

Peter Pan wasn't a public domain fairy tale. Disney paid a licensing fee. Alice was public domain, but from a modern-ish novel, and not from a fairy tale.

Disney would then go on to buy up rights to Pooh and Poppins and Dalmatians and Dumbo and even Song of the South.

So a distinction between their public domain appropriations and what they bought would eliminate as being "Disney" a core body of their 'classic' movies and rides.
the difference in my eyes is peter pan, or even the grimm family (Cinderella, snow white, sleeping beauty (briar rose controversy), princess and the frog, tangled) is the original stories are nothing like what Disney has made them. Almost all of the Disney cartoons are based off of fairy tales https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_animated_films_based_on_fairy_tales
https://sharples2013.weebly.com/index.html <Disney stories vs grimm stories
but the rides are based off of the Disney version, unlike star wars marvel muppets where the characters and likenesses were created way before Disney acquired them
So when your "little princess" thinks snow white shes thinking Disney created snow white.. not brothers grimm acquired snow white

1381146162-0.jpg

ppete1975

THAT'S MY POINT. It was an IP based land that was created without consideration of how it will hold up in the long term. It's being replaced now. Perhaps one day Frozen land or Cars land will need a replacement?
I don't see cars land ever being replaced. I look at bugs land more like a really well themed dino land or goofys barnstormer. Cheap rides that are for kiddies at local theme parks. Not surprised its leaving. Especially with how much more land is valued at Disney land.

TwilightZone

Aren't the Marvel characters decades old? The longevity of those characters is the definition of timeless.
The marvel characters are old, but the movies aren't. I'm sure most people haven't heard of the majority of the characters before the movies came out. That's why I'm so iffy about it right now.

justintheharris

I don't see cars land ever being replaced. I look at bugs land more like a really well themed dino land or goofys barnstormer. Cheap rides that are for kiddies at local theme parks. Not surprised its leaving. Especially with how much more land is valued at Disney land.

Hmm.. There is definitely merit to that statement. However, I'm worried that no amount of theming or technology can prop up a land forever. If A Bug's Land was a lot more technologically advanced, would it really have survived? It's very easy to answer yes right now but I feel like Cars Land, Toy Story Land and Frozen Land will be the real testers of that theory. As I said earlier on the thread, Beauty and the Beast and Lion King are wonderful movies and HUGE hits from their times but wouldn't a full land dedicated to those franchises feel awkward in 2018? And yes, I'm aware one could argue that a good portion of New Fantasyland is really a mini Beauty and the Beast land but wouldn't dedicating say.. 10 acres to it feel a little weird now?

BenJacobs

Disney is obviously going in the direction of adding rides based on popular IPs to the parks and if that's a good or bad thing is neither here nor there. But I was thinking about how some of these IPs will hold up in 10+ years (for example Gaurdians) and what Disney might do if these IPs become more irrelevant or unpopular as more bigger and better movies come out. Thoughts?

I would imagine that many will have rethemes to more recent IPs.

Miami Blues

The attractions that people truly love are the ones that are 100% original and not based on movies or IP, but instead came directly from the hearts of Imagineers. The Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Small World, Tiki Birds, Jungle Cruise, the Adventurers Club, Trader Sam's, the Matterhorn, Space Mountain...all Disney originals. The Company is thinking only about fast, short-term dollars when they make an IP-based attraction, and that's all well and good; but I suggest they allow Imagineering to create new, long-term attractions that use the Disney style of entertainment to create something truly long-lasting and beloved.

Raineman

In all of this discussion of IP based attractions vs non-IP based attractions, I think we are missing one thing: all of the most famous “non-IP” attractions , eg HM, POTC, JC have, due to their popularity and longevity, almost become an IP unto themselves. POTC is now an actual IP thanks to he popularity of the ride-a non-IP ride basically spawned a hugely successful IP. The discussion should really be media based IP attractions vs non-media based attractions.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Personally I don't have a problem with IP based rides as long at the IP are used "properly". With that said, I can't think of time where IP influenced my decision to go on a ride or not. For example Universal now has a ride based on The Fast and the Furious. I have never seen these movies, and they really don't interest me, but it won't stop me from going on the ride.

peterwendy

Original Poster
The discussion should really be media based IP attractions vs non-media based attractions.

That's more of how I wanted to word it in my original post but I had a brain fart. As many have pointed out virtually ever ride in Disney is based off of an IP but I think the problem comes when popular IP based attractions are introduced because they are a hot topic at the time or because they just need an IP to use for an attraction.

TwilightZone

The attractions that people truly love are the ones that are 100% original and not based on movies or IP, but instead came directly from the hearts of Imagineers. The Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Small World, Tiki Birds, Jungle Cruise, the Adventurers Club, Trader Sam's, the Matterhorn, Space Mountain...all Disney originals. The Company is thinking only about fast, short-term dollars when they make an IP-based attraction, and that's all well and good; but I suggest they allow Imagineering to create new, long-term attractions that use the Disney style of entertainment to create something truly long-lasting and beloved.
There are also a handful that are ip that are loved.
Indiana jones, matterhorn (supposedly an ip), star tours, tower of terror, mr toad, peter pan, splash mountain and many more.

FutureCEO

My bigger fear is the ips that have live characters. Snow white is never going to be arrested for doing drugs out of the back of a mini van. But several people michael jackson, bill cosby, pee wee herman, oj simpson were all super popular at times and public opinion changed due to their actions. Lets say jimmy fallon kills three people or hurts a child. What becomes of his show? Its happened before with michael jackson. Cartoons or non ip based are safer. I feel if chris evans does something that marvel would be fine but who knows just my thoughts.

Disney and Michael Jackson in the same sentence is just creepy.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
the difference in my eyes is peter pan, or even the grimm family (Cinderella, snow white, sleeping beauty (briar rose controversy), princess and the frog, tangled) is the original stories are nothing like what Disney has made them. Almost all of the Disney cartoons are based off of fairy tales https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_animated_films_based_on_fairy_tales
https://sharples2013.weebly.com/index.html <Disney stories vs grimm stories
but the rides are based off of the Disney version, unlike star wars marvel muppets where the characters and likenesses were created way before Disney acquired them
So when your "little princess" thinks snow white shes thinking Disney created snow white.. not brothers grimm acquired snow white

1381146162-0.jpg

Once again showing Disneys unique ability to make evil cute...

See Bambi, one parent dies in fire, the other whacked by a hunter. Its a wonder that Bambi did not grow up to be a serial killer...

Dumbo. What can I say we all know the story

Or even 'The Old Mill' during the storm.

Last edited:

ppete1975

Personally I don't have a problem with IP based rides as long at the IP are used "properly". With that said, I can't think of time where IP influenced my decision to go on a ride or not. For example Universal now has a ride based on The Fast and the Furious. I have never seen these movies, and they really don't interest me, but it won't stop me from going on the ride.
Have you seen the early pov ride view.... that would keep me from riding...... screens and done horribly... universal did great with harry potter, their land grab looks scary as does Nintendo coming... but kong was a letdown (amazing queue but just screens really) and fallon and now this.... Disney doesn't look like they have as much competition as we thought lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom