How Visible Are Meet & Greets?

joanna71985

Last time I was at WDW there were no meet & greets, you just ran into (a few) characters randomly, so the idea of waiting in line 30 minutes to meet a character just seems like a lot of time to burn for that. He's the only one who might want to meet some, so I just wanted to get an idea of how likely it is that he'll "notice" that there's a meet & greet happening. But I think we'll be able to skirt them when necessary.

We're only doing one TS breakfast, but it's not a character breakfast.

On average, the lines usually aren't too bad. I would plan in advance if there are any he wants to see

ToyStoryMiss

I'm hoping DS4 doesn't want to do any M&Gs - just my opinion but I feel like it'd be a waste of time. I know at least a few may be unavoidable (hey, we can do the free Disney Visa Card one ;) ) and yes, I've read some comments where people said they were surprised by their kids' interest in them. Overall, though, is it REALLY obvious that M&Gs are going on? Are they usually out in the open (the way they used to be) or are they mostly indoors now to avoid the heat? Is there signage that makes it obvious?

In short, how easily can I keep my kid from knowing what's going on? LOL. Will we get past Main Street?
It's what makes the magic! :joyfull:
But, yes, most are going indoors now, BUT there are a few out in the open. There are a few that are out on Main Street, i.e. Pluto, Goofy, sometimes Daisy, sometimes Chip & Dale, Minnie, etc. Mickey moved indoors, but you can FP him.
So they are mostly avoidable, just Main Street and maybe Fantasyland. (Although Tiana and Naveen are out in the open in Liberty Square when you cross the little bridge.
The other parks, on the other hand, like Animal Kingdom, the characters are outside mostly. Hollywood Studios has some outside the Sorcerer's Hat, Phineas and Ferb towards the back, etc. At Epcot, most characters are outside, but some are inside, like at Character Spot. Aladdin and Jasmine may be towards the back of Morocco, so you don't really need to worry about them. But throughout the UK pavillion, Alice, Aurora, Marie, and Mary Poppins are out in the open. Mulan is halfway hidden in the China pavillion. Beast and Belle are in the open in France, and Fiesta Donald is in Mexico. And in Germany, Snow White and Dopey are out.
Hope this helps you! :happy:

joanna71985

It's what makes the magic! :joyfull:
But, yes, most are going indoors now, BUT there are a few out in the open. There are a few that are out on Main Street, i.e. Pluto, Goofy, sometimes Daisy, sometimes Chip & Dale, Minnie, etc. Mickey moved indoors, but you can FP him.
So they are mostly avoidable, just Main Street and maybe Fantasyland. (Although Tiana and Naveen are out in the open in Liberty Square when you cross the little bridge.
The other parks, on the other hand, like Animal Kingdom, the characters are outside mostly. Hollywood Studios has some outside the Sorcerer's Hat, Phineas and Ferb towards the back, etc. At Epcot, most characters are outside, but some are inside, like at Character Spot. Aladdin and Jasmine may be towards the back of Morocco, so you don't really need to worry about them. But throughout the UK pavillion, Alice, Aurora, Marie, and Mary Poppins are out in the open. Mulan is halfway hidden in the China pavillion. Beast and Belle are in the open in France, and Fiesta Donald is in Mexico. And in Germany, Snow White and Dopey are out.
Hope this helps you! :happy:

Just a few corrections...
Main Street is Pluto, Marie, Snow White, and Mary Poppins (Goofy, Daisy, and Minnie are at Pete's Silly Sideshow, and Chip and Dale are in Frontierland).
At Epcot- Marie is no longer in France (she now is at MK in Town Square), Beast is no longer in France (only at BOG), and Dopey is no longer in Germany

ImagineerDude

When I was 4 I got a kiss from Cinderella. It made the entire trip...the CM even led us through the exit to cut through the line! The best memories are made in some M & Gs. Now that I'm "old" I doubt cinderella is going to give me a kiss on the cheek. :( (which really bugged me that I had to "make" the characters treat me like a kid on our last trip because most people my age are too cool) Though she did inform me I had grown quite a bit since I last saw her :rolleyes: Anyway, what I'm getting at is do you really want your kid to miss out on this when they still believe?! Those attractions will be here forever (well kind of) but the characters are what is changing in WDW now...which shouldn't be their main concern but that's a topic for another thread :happy:

75disney

For my DDs, meeting the characters is part of the Disney experience, especially when they were preschoolers. We were willing to wait in lines to meet their faves and it was well worth the time to see their faces light up as they chatted with them. We also did many character meals. As they get older, my DDs (now 11 and 8) still want to do the character meals and do the M&Gs. In fact, Merida and the new princess from Frozen (it comes out while we are there) are on their must-do list for the next trip. If you think your DS would enjoy meeting some favorite characters, I highly suggest a character meal so you don't need to wait in line. Or discuss with him which characters he might like to meet and try to do a few, but tell him that he can't meet every character he sees. The M&G time are posted in the guide maps. Some appear continuously throughout the day, others at specific times. If he wants to meet characters that only appear for a limited time, go about 15 minutes before the scheduled appearance or he may miss out. Lines form fast and they will cut them off since the characters can only be out for a certain amount of time. Whatever you decide to do, there is plenty of fun and magic to be found at Disney.

ToyStoryMiss

Just a few corrections...
Main Street is Pluto, Marie, Snow White, and Mary Poppins (Goofy, Daisy, and Minnie are at Pete's Silly Sideshow, and Chip and Dale are in Frontierland).
At Epcot- Marie is no longer in France (she now is at MK in Town Square), Beast is no longer in France (only at BOG), and Dopey is no longer in Germany
Oh dear, I forgot! I remember now that Snow White is there, although I haven't seen Mary Poppins there in quite a few years.
Aw, those two left? What a shame. :(
I remembered the others went to Storybook Cirus, and Chip & Dale in Frontierland (such darling outfits!), but I still thought they were out in front. My bad. :oops:
I must have confused it with the Main Street in Disneyland..I was just there not long ago (April), and they were all out there. Even Cruella De Vil! :eek:
She is such a great person to meet, she's hilarious!

Question, if you know, is Merida still in her same spot? I haven't yet a chance to meet her.
Thank you for the corrections! :happy:

dreamfinder

A few thoughts. Remember that many of the characters work in 20 minute sets. Some may only take a momentary break, others may be off for a while longer. But most of the outdoor M&Gs will either have that 20 min max wait (unless you decide to queue up for the next set), or will be for a princess. The few remaining outdoor M&Gs that would possibly draw a massively long line that come to mind would be Merida, Snow White, and Tiana. Most of the others are fairly short manageable lines. But are you taking the trip for you, and just bringing your DS along because you don't want to be accused of child abandonment, or is this a family trip where everyone should be able to enjoy themselves? I'm assuming the later, so I would strongly suggest keeping an open mind. Look over the lists from www.kennythepirate.com, and see who might be available, and where they might be. Broaching the subject in advance might let you say "We can only meet 2 characters a day" or similar, and then if your DS does like characters, you can minimize the waits while making sure he sees the ones he really wants to see. The reactions from some kids when they meet characters melt my heart, and they aren't even my kids. The 5 minutes they end up spending talking with Mickey might be the one thing they remember when they get home.

Since1976

My opinion is that nothing is a waste of time if your kids actually want to do it. Sure, they might miss a ride or two, but at the end of the day they won't regret missing an attraction they didn't know was there to begin with.

My advice to first timers with young kids is to give them a preview of what's at the park. That way you can have them weigh each "side adventure" with the question "Do I really want to risk missing X to see Y?"

jkl2000

Original Poster
A few thoughts. Remember that many of the characters work in 20 minute sets. Some may only take a momentary break, others may be off for a while longer. But most of the outdoor M&Gs will either have that 20 min max wait (unless you decide to queue up for the next set), or will be for a princess. The few remaining outdoor M&Gs that would possibly draw a massively long line that come to mind would be Merida, Snow White, and Tiana. Most of the others are fairly short manageable lines. But are you taking the trip for you, and just bringing your DS along because you don't want to be accused of child abandonment, or is this a family trip where everyone should be able to enjoy themselves? I'm assuming the later, so I would strongly suggest keeping an open mind. Look over the lists from www.kennythepirate.com, and see who might be available, and where they might be. Broaching the subject in advance might let you say "We can only meet 2 characters a day" or similar, and then if your DS does like characters, you can minimize the waits while making sure he sees the ones he really wants to see. The reactions from some kids when they meet characters melt my heart, and they aren't even my kids. The 5 minutes they end up spending talking with Mickey might be the one thing they remember when they get home.

Thanks. Yes, of course it's for everyone - I just want to avoid having touring plans scuttled if the parks are crowded - have to keep DS14 happy too. Planning for the worst, expecting the best.

dreamfinder

Thanks. Yes, of course it's for everyone - I just want to avoid having touring plans scuttled if the parks are crowded - have to keep DS14 happy too. Planning for the worst, expecting the best.

Ahhh, the DS14 does throw a monkey wrench into the mix. Might be a good time to split up and take him to a thrill ride the younger one cannot do? Or bribe him with a dole whip? Good luck.....

mattdenine

When I was at Disney in April the only meet and greet that I noticed was Merida from Brave. The only meet and greet my wife and I did was Mickey as it was both of our first time at MK.

KCheatle

I get where you're coming from. M&Gs can take a large chunk of time out of your day for what may seem like relatively nothing. However, most kids your son's age do like M&Gs. the way we combat it is to have as many character meals as possible. We figure we already have to take a considerable amount of time out of our day to eat at a TS (1-1.5 hours on average). If we combine that time with a M&G (where we are in air conditioning and eating), then it really kills 2 birds with one stone. We typically do Chef Mickey's the first night we arrive so that we don't waste time trying to meeting the fab 5. Then we do a princess meal so my daughter is happy. Then we do either Winnie the Pooh or the Disney Junior one at HS so my son is happy. It's really the way to go IMO.

DJMoore2011

Maybe a divde and conquer plan then have one parent stay with the child that wants to do the M&G and the other set go on ride and meet up at the ride when the M&G is over? Or some other thing that DS14 will like.

MOXOMUMD

If you want to avoid m&g don't go near Animation Courtyard or into the Art of Animation building at DHS. BUT with the very limited things geared towards a 4 year old at DHS, it's unavoidable.

KCheatle

The character meals are pretty much booked up by now except for Garden Grove and H&V.

Bummer. The other advice I would have so that your kiddo can do a M&G without you being totally annoyed is to get to AK early and go to Camp Mickey and Minnie right when it opens at 10 am. There are like a dozen characters down there to meet without waiting in any lines. It's particularly nice to do at AK since that isn't, IMO, such a "busy" park.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Bummer. The other advice I would have so that your kiddo can do a M&G without you being totally annoyed is to get to AK early and go to Camp Mickey and Minnie right when it opens at 10 am. There are like a dozen characters down there to meet without waiting in any lines. It's particularly nice to do at AK since that isn't, IMO, such a "busy" park.
Also Character Spot in EPCOT is quite empty at park opening and you can fp quite a few characters in MK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom