How to Prevent the End of Disneyland (within reason)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Being a parent of younger kids has opened my eyes to the fact that nostalgia in IPs is very subjective and generational.

My kids absolutely love stuff like GotG, Nemo, and Incredicoaster. It's every bit as magical to them as anything at Disneyland was when I was their age.

No doubt their generation will whine and complain about how Disney execs 30 years from now have ruined the heart and purity of SWGE by adding new characters to scenes in a revamped RotR.
I agree and have said this before. Just because the proliferation of IP into the Parks isn't something that is appealing to older generations of Park goers, the newer generations growing up in the Parks today will created bonds with the IP driven experiences and have nostalgia for it in the future.

That is a hard pill for many Disney Parks purists to swallow as they know that every generation that grows up with IP driven experiences is one more nail in the coffin for an IP-less Parks.

Californian Elitist

Being a parent of younger kids has opened my eyes to the fact that nostalgia in IPs is very subjective and generational.

My kids absolutely love stuff like GotG, Nemo, and Incredicoaster. It's every bit as magical to them as anything at Disneyland was when I was their age.

No doubt their generation will whine and complain about how Disney execs 30 years from now have ruined the heart and purity of SWGE by adding new characters to scenes in a revamped RotR.
100%. I’ve made similar comments. This generation will absolutely complain in the future and will recount the great days of Pixar Pier, Rise of the Resistance, and Genie+.

According to my mom, Disneyland hasn’t been the same since the 70s and 80s.🤷🏾‍♀️ Everyone’s perspective is different. It’s all subjective.

Consumer

Does nostalgia alter perspective? Sure, but as far as I'm concerned, Disneyland peaked in 1995 and I my first memory of the park isn't until 2003. I remember early DCA and, while I have a fondness for it, clearly the 2012 remodel was superior both to opening day and to now. Nostalgia definitely effects us, but it is still possible to pull yourself away from your experiences and reflect unbiasedly towards the parks.

DLR92

100%. I’ve made similar comments. This generation will absolutely complain in the future and will recount the great days of Pixar Pier, Rise of the Resistance, and Genie+.

According to my mom, Disneyland hasn’t been the same since the 70s and 80s.🤷🏾‍♀️ Everyone’s perspective is different. It’s all subjective.
This is pretty true, I grew up with Disneyland in the 2000 era. I think those items were good. Actually my high school years were the best time of my life in Disneyland (2008-2011).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Does nostalgia alter perspective? Sure, but as far as I'm concerned, Disneyland peaked in 1995 and I my first memory of the park isn't until 2003. I remember early DCA and, while I have a fondness for it, clearly the 2012 remodel was superior both to opening day and to now. Nostalgia definitely effects us, but it is still possible to pull yourself away from your experiences and reflect unbiasedly towards the parks.
You're not looking at it from the normal guest perspective. The normal guest isn't going to disconnect from nostalgia as easily as you make it seem, its the whole reason why Disney Parks are so popular. Also remember nostalgia deepens over time. As such I would say there is much less nostalgia for opening day DCA since there wasn't enough time for that nostalgia to really set in and deepen before they started making changes. So that really isn't a good example.

The Peoplemover at DL is a perfect example of nostalgia. Just look at how many Parks Fans want it back even though its been gone for 27 years and is basically outdated. Add IP it, alter it, do whatever to it as long as the Peoplemover comes back and that will scratch that nostalgia itch.

Consumer

You're not looking at it from the normal guest perspective. The normal guest isn't going to disconnect from nostalgia as easily as you make it seem, its the whole reason why Disney Parks are so popular. Also remember nostalgia deepens over time. As such I would say there is much less nostalgia for opening day DCA since there wasn't enough time for that nostalgia to really set in and deepen before they started making changes. So that really isn't a good example.

The Peoplemover at DL is a perfect example of nostalgia. Just look at how many Parks Fans want it back even though its been gone for 27 years and is basically outdated. Add IP it, alter it, do whatever to it as long as the Peoplemover comes back and that will scratch that nostalgia itch.
The People Mover is a dumb ride.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The People Mover is a dumb ride.
Well that is your opinion, and not one share by the majority of the Fan community. The point is no matter the experience, whether you feel its dumb or not, nostalgia is a strong emotion. It will be tied to the experience even if that experience is an IP driven one that older generations detest.

The newer generations that are growing up in the Parks today are building that emotional bond with the IP driven experiences offered today. As they grow up they will get the nostalgic feeling every time they encounter that same experience. And will be the ones that lament in the future when said IP drive experience is changed or removed, its inevitable.

DrAlice

100%.

My gripe isn't about adding IP. It's about HOW it is added. For example, make a fully fleshed out San Fransokyo in DCA. Don't just slap some Torii gates on the bridge and some lanterns on the buildings in the wharf area and call it "good enough".

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
100%.

My gripe isn't about adding IP. It's about HOW it is added. For example, make a fully fleshed out San Fransokyo in DCA. Don't just slap some Torii gates on the bridge and some lanterns on the buildings in the wharf area and call it "good enough".
Better that than yet another half-baked Santa Monica Pier..and thats just a short reference ride away. Lazy illegitimate drawers of undeserved salaries.

Consumer

I'd very much like to make the argument that due to the frequent rethemes and changes of the last 10 years- and the huge decline in quality- today's generation will not have the same nostalgia for the new stuff that the people who grew up in the '50s-80s did.
The best example of this, I think, is the new Star Tours. The original is an attraction I have a strong nostalgia for and has had a great impact on Disneyland and Star Wars with its aesthetic being turned into popular apparel even today amongst park fans. Star Tours: The Adventures Continue? Honestly, who cares about the Starspeeder 1000 or about C-3PO as a pilot? The Starspeeder 3000 and Rex are still the iconic elements from that ride. Star Tours 2 has existed for over a decade and has failed to make any lasting impression in park fans. Any goodwill towards Star Tours comes from the original version of the attraction. I admit Star Tours 2 is still a fun ride, but where is the fan following for it?

Phroobar

The best example of this, I think, is the new Star Tours. The original is an attraction I have a strong nostalgia for and has had a great impact on Disneyland and Star Wars with its aesthetic being turned into popular apparel even today amongst park fans. Star Tours: The Adventures Continue? Honestly, who cares about the Starspeeder 1000 or about C-3PO as a pilot? The Starspeeder 3000 and Rex are still the iconic elements from that ride. Star Tours 2 has existed for over a decade and has failed to make any lasting impression in park fans. Any goodwill towards Star Tours comes from the original version of the attraction. I admit Star Tours 2 is still a fun ride, but where is the fan following for it?

mickEblu

I agree. I think it can work both ways. We can see the past with rose colored glasses and have nostalgia for stuff that may not really deserve it sometimes. But we can also use our brain and say Fantasyland 1983 is better than original Fantasyland. I mean it’s funny how you don’t hear many people crying for Fantasyland 1.0 to come back right? Some things are objectively better.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I'd very much like to make the argument that due to the frequent rethemes and changes of the last 10 years- and the huge decline in quality- today's generation will not have the same nostalgia for the new stuff that the people who grew up in the '50s-80s did.

100%. Hard to build nostalgia when things are getting ripped out every 10 years. With that said, in our youth we are very impressionable. I still have a soft spot for E.T. and I only rode it a handful of times in the early/mid 90s and it only lasted at USH I think for 10 years. But then again I think E.T is a great ride. It’s Peter Pans flight on steroids.

Californian Elitist

I agree. I think it can work both ways. We can see the past with rose colored glasses and have nostalgia for stuff that may not really deserve it sometimes. But we can also use our brain and say Fantasyland 1983 is better than original Fantasyland. I mean it’s funny how you don’t hear many people crying for Fantasyland 1.0 back right? Some things are objectively better.
Some people may find the original Fantasyland better. You just haven’t met those people.

Nothing is objectively better or worse when it comes to the park and what people like or dislike/find better or worse. People have their opinions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom