How to Prevent the End of Disneyland (within reason)

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
Earlier I asked, "How Will Disneyland End, in Your Opinion?" and now I'm just thinking of some hypothetical solutions. You guys said stuff like hostile takeovers, being phased out in favor of the metaverse or something else, and pricing out consumers. Natural disasters and war aren't preventable by Disney, but hostile takeovers can be prevented using legal measures like poison pills, theme parks (and their predecessors like amusement parks) can, and have evolved to adapt to the changing times, and they can keep consumers by eliminating unnecessary costs like eliminating large stage shows (I mean are they packed every time?), automating as many tasks as possible, and reducing waste. This way, prices can be lowered (or kept the same and not raised every year) to stimulate demand, improve PR, recover costs through in-park sales, continue building a new consumer base, and have more capital to expand to meet demand.

DrAlice

Replace current execs with execs that remember/understand what made the parks special to begin with! The parks have always leaned into nostalgia in one form or another. I think the reason the "no more IP" argument exists with many fans is that IP doesn't necessarily add to that nostalgia factor that made the parks feel special. That isn't to say that IP doesn't have a place in the parks. Of course it does. However, IP without heart just misses the mark on what made the parks something you can't get elsewhere (*cough* universal).

Sailor310

I don't know the answer, but somehow Disney needs to manage the growing demand/growing population and limited size/best experience of the park.

CaptinEO

Have a healthy balance of both original and movie based rides and shows. When every nighttime show is a Disney movie clip show and every ride is from a movie it gets boring.

They should totally make movie based rides when it makes sense, but it shouldn't be all they do.

shambolicdefending

I think the reason the "no more IP" argument exists with many fans is that IP doesn't necessarily add to that nostalgia factor that made the parks feel special. That isn't to say that IP doesn't have a place in the parks. Of course it does. However, IP without heart just misses the mark on what made the parks something you can't get elsewhere (*cough* universal).
Being a parent of younger kids has opened my eyes to the fact that nostalgia in IPs is very subjective and generational.

My kids absolutely love stuff like GotG, Nemo, and Incredicoaster. It's every bit as magical to them as anything at Disneyland was when I was their age.

No doubt their generation will whine and complain about how Disney execs 30 years from now have ruined the heart and purity of SWGE by adding new characters to scenes in a revamped RotR.

Phroobar

Going to Disneyland is like having a tattoo. If a kid's parents have tattoos, that makes tattoos uncool to the kid. If a parent is really into Disneyland, the kid isn't going to care about Disneyland when he grows up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom