How to "lessen the blow" of leaving WDW?

graphite1326

Go when it is super crowded? ...which is like most times nowadays?

The last time we left, it was so dang-awful crowded, it was almost a relief. Definitely not the grief of prior visits. So much so, we have never been back. I'd like to return, but just cannot reconcile the crowd levels with the pricetag.
  • High crowd levels and cheap - ok.
  • Low crowd levels and cheap - ok.
  • Low crowd levels and expensive - ok.
  • High crowd levels and expensive - what-the-heck-no.
The human mind is funny in this regard. You tend to forget the miseries and only remember the good parts. I am trying to not forget the writhing masses of smelly sweaty scooting cranky humanity all around me last visit. ...the memory is starting to fade. I fear my time to return may be coming up. Quick! I need a distraction! Disney Cruise! There we go. Yea, I need to stick with DCL. That had a lot of the magic without the crowds. ...still had the pricetag tho.... :p
I kind of felt the same on our last Fall visit. However, for us it was the bus ride back. We stayed at POP and the bus station back to the resort was always super crowded at the end of the evening. Especially after a night time event. After the MK fireworks we waited on 6 buses before we got on. One of which was a double. We also experienced this after leaving EPCOT. We became so frustrated we stopped going to nigh time events.

Bill in Atlanta

Original Poster
Some good ideas in here. I like the idea to plan your next trip on the way home.

We started a little family tradition a few years ago - on the way home from any vacation, we tell the kids where/when our next vacation is going to be. It gives them a little something to look forward to. Of course when it's WDW they get extra excited :)

mf1972

you can chain yourself up at your favorite attraction. it’ll get you a couple more days in orlando. just not wdw 😜

mf1972

like other responses, we start planning out our next trip. browse through some pics & videos we take. also listen to some disney cd’s as we’re diving back home

Graham9

The last full day begins with wherever the Magic Hours are and then get round as many parks as it possible in the time allowed, catching any rides or shows we may have missed, last minute shopping until wherever the evening Magic Hours are (assuming there are any that day), ending in Disney Springs for last meal & coffee and back to the room late and exhausted.

The final day starts with last minute bag-packing, down to Disney Springs to check in our luggage and size up how much time is left, off to Magic Kingdom car park, monorail to Epcot for an hour or two, back to MK and spend the last remaining hours getting as much as we can in the time available. Leave WDW at 3:00pm (or thereabouts) and drive to airport.

These days we usually go round the parks sedately and like to take our time. In the last days, we don't stop for anything.

Walt Disney1955

I always thought that finishing things of going to MK was the best way. It hasn't always happened with me, but we usually spend 1.5 days at MK if we can help it and we'll just hop there on the last day. The fireworks at the end and riding the ferry while looking back at the Castle at night might be "painful" to watch but there is no more grand way to finish it off.

However, once we are home and back to reality how do I deal with the post-WDW blues? Lots have said plan your next trip. I always talk about the next time we could come tentatively but not everyone has the money to put a deposit down for the next trip in a year or two.

So for me we still do other things. We are huge sports fans, so we go to baseball games, hockey games, etc. Visit big cities while we are there. I was at Fenway Park a month ago and visited JFK's Presidential Library just 3-4 miles away on the Boston Harbour. I love the historical stuff. WDW is the best vacation, but if you think that is all there is then you are wrong. There is lots to see just in North America alone.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
The trick is to stay long enough that you're actually ready to leave.

I haven't actually found that magic number yet, but when I do, I'll share it here.

JoMarch

UGH, we mostly let MK be our last day...and it's always tough. It's leaving the "bubble" that gets me....work, life is tough and these trips provide a great escapism.

I agree with booking our return trip right away. The planning and discussions build an entire year of excitement!

We also collect those Disney porcelain figurines. We hunt thrift shops, flea markets, ebay...some of them are antique. We place them all under the Christmas Tree. So even though it's not a trip, it's something fun and "Disney" we look forward to!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom