How to "lessen the blow" of leaving WDW?

Bill in Atlanta

Original Poster
For those of us who love Disney World, leaving on that last day is always a bummer. I've learned to not make MK our last day because my wife has a hard time walking out past that beautiful castle and down Main Street. It's a little easier when our last day is AK or HS :)

What other things do you do to make leaving WDW at the end of a fun trip not so bad?

Graham9

For those of us who love Disney World, leaving on that last day is always a bummer. I've learned to not make MK our last day because my wife has a hard time walking out past that beautiful castle and down Main Street. It's a little easier when our last day is AK or HS :)

What other things do you do to make leaving WDW at the end of a fun trip not so bad?

For me, there is no real answer to this. Leaving WDW is always painful with little to look forward to except a long flight home and back to work a few days after that, with little or no money left.

That said, we will have a lot of photos to look at, camcorder footage and stuff we have bought home with us. I guess the only real thing we do to lesson the impact is to take stock of what we did and decide how we can do things better, plan way ahead when you can next come, make note of stuff being built with the promise to go back to see it on return to WDW and plan finances until such time as you can make a booking.

MAGICFLOP

Is this aimed at kids or adults? I thought it was kids until the wife was mentioned...

If it is as adult... We ended it with a grand processional... others may call it (including me) 'following the lines of people heading out the exit' but "processional" sounds more ceremonious to those who are sentimental...

Smiley/OCD

Start planning our next trip as we're walking down Main St. towards the train station!

Rumrunner

We get home and start planning our next trip in 2 years initially with a month count down and then converting to days and weeks as we get under 10 months.

I do like your idea of not making MK the last day but not sure I could pull that off with my kids and my 6 grandkids. MK is king for them.

Smiley/OCD

We get home and start planning our next trip in 2 years initially with a month count down and then converting to days and weeks as we get under 10 months.

I do like your idea of not making MK the last day but not sure I could pull that off with my kids and my 6 grandkids. MK is king for them.
I agree...not going to MK on the last day is kinda like going to a seafood restaurant and ordering a steak...

eliza61nyc

I feel your pain. I immediately start editing my photos and getting them into an electronic album. I also try to have something fun planned for back at home within a few days of arriving back home. It gives me something to think about as we are flying back from Disney.

This is what we do also.
Since my kids are young adults now we lean toward AK as our favorite park so we try to end there. If we don't have a early flight we also try to have breakfast at a resort hotel, so of end the trip on a high note getting mickey waffles.

zurgandfriend

I agree with others that stated, “start planning your next trip on the way home.” After our flight lands and I am pulling luggage off the baggage carousel that’s when the post Disney blues hit. A little voice tells me “you’re home get to work unpacking and doing laundry, oh wait that little voice is my DW.

Hank Hill

We usually have park hoppers or passes, so the last day we try go to all 4 parks. It is a nice way to see everything one last time, take a few rides and say goodbye. Personally On longer trips, I am usually ready to get back to life and am so tired from the trip, it feels good to be done. Shorter trips are harder to do that with though.

Nottamus

We did the bounce back thing once and that was nice...made it easier than just leaving with nothing planned.

We drive, so the last day we try to go to sleep early, to get an early start...and it’s really hard to go to bed early at WDW! Too many things to do!

The last day we just usually do a relaxed pace at Epcot...have a few snacks, a nice late lunch...and just take it easy. Enjoy the walk. Maybe one ride....maybe none.

JohnD

I usually visit MK on check out day and leave between 2-3pm. Also as I arrive via Western Way and take the same route out when going home, my last stop is always the gift shop in Coronado Springs for any possible last-minute gift to myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom