How to hold back the tears?

HouCuseChickie

So, I've mentioned it a few times...I'm a sap. :lol: No- seriously. :lookaroun

The trip we've got coming up is our girls' first and I've gone to great lengths to try and plan the perfect trip for them. The problem- every time I think about some of the highlights or watch a video of something I can't wait for them to do or see- I get teary eyed. I guess the appropriate term would be "Mouseketears." Surely, it will be all out crying when it's actually them experiencing these things. And it's a lot of things doing this... thoughts about their first boat ride over to MK when they get their first glimpse of the castle...sitting on Main Street when the lights go out for MSEP...their first Mickey meeting...BBB and CRT...pictures of them and my parents at Akershus...MVMCP...and so on.

Is anyone else like this? And if so, how do you control the tears? I know I'm not going to be able to control it all the time, but I don't want to be a blubbering mess the entire trip. :cry:

bradybig

I have had my bouts with tears over the years at Disney and I am a dad who coaches football and baseball etc... This year will be the worst. We are heading down to Disney from 11/13 to 11/21. This will be our last trip to Disney before our son goes off to college and could likely be the last time we all (my wife, myself and 3 kids) go together as a family like this. We have gone to Disney 5 times over the years together and have so many memories. While we will continue to go to Disney, and I am sure will make many, many more memories, it won't be quite the same. I still remember his first time when he was only 5....:cry:

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

I can relate - I get teary eyed at the opening of the MK, when I walk down Main Street & see the castle, & when I view Wishes.
I really cry when it's time to leave! :cry:

Upvote 0

dvcmooch

We've been to WDW 43 times and I can tell you that I too, get emotional multiple times throughout the day. I'm a 53 year old male whose children think of their Dad as a strong-willed tough guy. If they only knew of the many times that my throat was so tight that I could not speak, it would blow their minds!
Don't worry about the "emotional overload". Let the tears ease out, hug them tight, and love them. You will totally enjoy the memories!
Have a safe trip! Have Fun! Enjoy your vacation and your family! And, bring back pictures for all to see ! ! !

Upvote 0

becanya

I love you people! I so glad I'm not the only one who cries like a baby over disney. My son is 5, and the next time we go he will almost be seven. My husband found me the other day crying because I am worried he'll be too old to think it is as magical as this year!

Upvote 0

TINKERLOR

I am there right with you. I may not be balling my eyes out, but I have caughy myself having tears in my eyes, more that I probably even realize.

Here are a few examples:

As soon a Wishes starts, and Tink flies, you've lost me, Illumiations, when then globe starts moving and the song starts playing..here come the water works; The Festival of the Lion King, when Zazu is flying and they are singing Can you Feel the Love Tonight, and the Studios Beauty and the Beast Show of course when Belle and Beast are dancing at the end.

Disney is very special to me and my entire family.:kiss:

Upvote 0

iheartdisney91

i tend to cry every now and then at WDW and im 19, just emotional i guess.
but for our Senior Trip i cried a little more i think because i was in my favorite place with my favorite person. it was so magical and i'll never forget it.

also i think 3 years back i made a wish while crying during "Wishes" and needless to say. that wish came true :sohappy:

Upvote 0
We spent our honeymoon at Disney World and couldn't wait to bring our children there. Throughout the years...things happened with jobs and homes and we never were able to bring them.

For our 35th wedding anniversary last year we treated the family.. we finally brought our daughers (now 31 and 33) and it was our first time back since our honeymoon. When Mickey appeared at the train station to open the Magic Kingdom, I turned to see what the reaction was of our daughters...both were in tears..and needless to say my husband and I were also !

It truly is a MAGICAL place :king:

Upvote 0

Jayhawkie

Don't hold back the tears!!! The tears are a wonderful thing!!! The one thing I can tell you is don't set your expectations too high with them liking it. I am not saying that they won't LOVE it but sometimes their reactions are not what you had envisioned. This happened with my sister and her husbands, brothers family. My sister was so excited for them but their enthusiasm was not what she expected. I felt so bad for her. She set herself up for excitement and got disappointment. This also happened to me with my first child. The first time we went he was a joy. The second time it was a surprise, and he was too worried about eating his dinner. The reaction to going to Disney is not what I expected and was disappointing. All I am saying, is don't plan so much that you can't enjoy yourself. Have more fun than you can stand!!!!

Upvote 0

EnchantedRose

I'm a huge crier!:cry: LOL. We have gone to Disney 3 times with our son....
and all 3 times I cried when he saw Mickey for the first time, when he saw the castle for the first time each trip & of course I cried watching the video on the ME on our way to hotel! I'm such a sap!!

We have a trip planned for next year, in september...& now our son remembers things from our last trip, he was 2.5, 3 now....and every once in a while he says "i want to go to dizzy world" I tear and wish i could pack and go tomorrow! LOL I even cry with the commercials for Let the Memories begin!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Don't hold back the tears!!! The tears are a wonderful thing!!! The one thing I can tell you is don't set your expectations too high with them liking it. I am not saying that they won't LOVE it but sometimes their reactions are not what you had envisioned. This happened with my sister and her husbands, brothers family. My sister was so excited for them but their enthusiasm was not what she expected. I felt so bad for her. She set herself up for excitement and got disappointment. This also happened to me with my first child. The first time we went he was a joy. The second time it was a surprise, and he was too worried about eating his dinner. The reaction to going to Disney is not what I expected and was disappointing. All I am saying, is don't plan so much that you can't enjoy yourself. Have more fun than you can stand!!!!

Excellent Point! Especially since DD4 is tantrum prone and is often scared by the strangest things. Who knows what might set her off or might not go over as well as it goes in my head. She's done well with large costumed characters before and we've been prepping her with videos, but she's definitely the wild card in all of this...well, not counting my dad and his patience levels. :lol: Oh well- they won't be with us on our MK days.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom