How to "fix" Living Seas

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Two words: James Cameron

Why not? He's already working with WDI on Avatar. That's if they don't kill him before completion of that project. Of anyone, Cameron would have the most to offer in the area of ideas and concepts for a re-imagined Living Seas pavilion. Get rid of Nemo and let Cameron have dibs at it!

PeterAlt

Original Poster
No definitely not..
But why? Think of his personal under water experiences and "talent" at driving project budgets up to new records... Sure, the executives get ed and are eventually talked out of hiring assassins to kill him, but every project he touches also makes money in record numbers!

The Empress Lilly

I'd so wish they'd consult Cameron about the Living Seas!

The guy understands both the deep and spectacle. I'm sure he could come up with some swell ideas.
Although the problem with EPCOT's FW is not a lack of ideas, but of funds, and of cohesive thought about a sense of purpose and direction.

AndyS2992

But why? Think of his personal under water experiences and "talent" at driving project budgets up to new records... Sure, the executives get ed and are eventually talked out of hiring assassins to kill him, but every project he touches also makes money in record numbers!

Sorry, misread what you wrote. I thought you were implyng they should put Avatar into the Living Seas o_O Actually I agree, he could possibly do something very good with it.

The Living Seas needed an update, so when they took out the hyrolators and put back the ride, I was fine with it. What I'm not fine with is the Nemo nonsense. I wish there was a way to fix what was broken before Nemo without adding Nemo.

Know what I mean?

Not sure James Cameron is the solution. But something needs to be done.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
James Cameron is constantly raising the bar :D

(South Park reference)
Leave it to Cameron to come up with an ingenious way to spend five times the cost of building it on a "rehab". The part that no one really "gets" is that no matter how much he would spend on a given project, it makes much more than that in short term and long term profits.

So, say the redo ends up costing $350 million. No actual work takes place on the structure. The experience inside is advertised: "See bioluminescent never-before seen sea creatures, collected by film maker James Cameron on his journey to the bottom of the deepest ocean trench and brought to WDW's Living Seas pavilion in Florida! To see these creatures, visitors will be given personal robotic submarine pods that they will control and drive!"

The breakdown of that $350 million budget is $300 million pays for Cameron and his crew to make the voyage to the ocean floor (where he bumps into Paul Neumann - kidding) and collects living samples of new species of bioluminescent sea creatures to ship back to Florida. The rest ($50 million) would be spent on the new interactive submarine ride vehicles and new blacklight effects. The hype alone of the outrageous cost to fund Cameron's expedition and bring back new species of sea creatures would drive the masses in record numbers to EPCOT because no one will really believe it until they go to EPCOT to see - and everyone will have to see it.

WED99

Leave it to Cameron to come up with an ingenious way to spend five times the cost of building it on a "rehab". The part that no one really "gets" is that no matter how much he would spend on a given project, it makes much more than that in short term and long term profits.

So, say the redo ends up costing $350 million. No actual work takes place on the structure. The experience inside is advertised: "See bioluminescent never-before seen sea creatures, collected by film maker James Cameron on his journey to the bottom of the deepest ocean trench and brought to WDW's Living Seas pavilion in Florida! To see these creatures, visitors will be given personal robotic submarine pods that they will control and drive!"

The breakdown of that $350 million budget is $300 million pays for Cameron and his crew to make the voyage to the ocean floor (where he bumps into Paul Neumann - kidding) and collects living samples of new species of bioluminescent sea creatures to ship back to Florida. The rest ($50 million) would be spent on the new interactive submarine ride vehicles and new blacklight effects. The hype alone of the outrageous cost to fund Cameron's expedition and bring back new species of sea creatures would drive the masses in record numbers to EPCOT because no one will really believe it until they go to EPCOT to see - and everyone will have to see it.
It's true, Cameron is cursed. No matter what he does, he always makes money!

Tom Morrow

If it had to be Nemo themed, I hate that the ride is just a recap of the movie. Actually, in this day and age, I feel that any new ride that is simply a recap of the movie is as lazy as it gets. Especially for a ride in Future World.

Example: Mermaid - it's just a recap that you observe, and it doesn't even properly tell the story.
Radiator Springs Racers, on the other hand, is an entirely new story, and it involves YOU - YOU are actually racing.

They could have had you take a field trip with Mr. Ray through the coral reef. Boom - informative, edutainment, still involves Nemo.

Bairstow

This sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

It's probably too early to redo the nemo-themed sections of pavilion, but some of the sea exploration sections of the pavilion on the first floor could be dedicated to showcasing some of Cameron's work with mini-subs and that kind of stuff. Have him record some narration of the exhibits and have some of them be interactive- joystick makes the claw on the vehicle move around, that sort of thing. He's obviously passionate about the subject and people might be more inclined to spend time looking at the hardware if there's a human face attached to it.

james-cameron-national-geographic-mariana-trench-touchdown_50300_600x450.jpg

Chrononymous

If it had to be Nemo themed, I hate that the ride is just a recap of the movie. Actually, in this day and age, I feel that any new ride that is simply a recap of the movie is as lazy as it gets. Especially for a ride in Future World.

Example: Mermaid - it's just a recap that you observe, and it doesn't even properly tell the story.
Radiator Springs Racers, on the other hand, is an entirely new story, and it involves YOU - YOU are actually racing.

They could have had you take a field trip with Mr. Ray through the coral reef. Boom - informative, edutainment, still involves Nemo.

Yes yes yes!...I agree 100%.
Replaying the same scenes from a movie in a 3 dimensional ride through would be ok...IF they also included something more...an interactive element, or a new spin on it with new technology, or simply a new way to continue the story after the credits! Show us what these characters do that's separate from the story we have already seen!

It's why I think Living Seas Nemo is just OK...while Nemo the musical is brilliant.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
"And it rained and rained and rained: The deluge."

Methinks, bringing back some grand over the top spectacle and vision to the pavilion would be awesome, whether or not JC was involved. I'm sure he'd do a good job. It would be neat if he caught the TP bug and stayed on as a general consultant.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
It's bad enough they are bringing Cameron's junk into AK, keep him the heck out of EPCOT!

They don't have to use franchises he's involved in, but he is attentive detail and does a good job with spectacle. I think he'd be a good person to have around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom