How to Find the Perfect Angle

fractal

Original Poster
https://petapixel.com/2018/08/06/how-to-find-the-perfect-angle/

There is a tool in your kit that beginners rarely use to full advantage. I’m talking about your feet. At first, they may not seem like critical kit, but let me assure you — they are. And here’s why.

“A good photograph is knowing where to stand.” —Ansel Adams

If you ever have watched a pro shoot, you will notice a common character trait they all share. They move, a lot. They are trying to get their movement and positioning just perfect...

Lyman

Back in the stone age I shot weddings with film. With film if you ran out of film that was it. I carried plenty of film

The majority of shots were poses. one shot, maybe two.

I worked with two cameras

When it came to the first dance with spouse and parents I made sure each camera was loaded with fresh film (36 each). Then it was bang bang bang bang. With all those shots I was able to get a hand full of "perfect shots". With the movement you don't have the time to compose the right one. You go with percentages.

It would be a good idea to take a couple of shots from different angles.

ddbowdoin

There’s an app that will show a number of different focal lengths. I use this app when scouting before I change a lens or the position of my camera.

Helps when you have to move this sucker around...

thomas998

There’s an app that will show a number of different focal lengths. I use this app when scouting before I change a lens or the position of my camera.

Helps when you have to move this sucker around...

I used to use a program called Poser that allowed you to set up model in different scenes you could create then move a camera around along with lighting to see effects... wasn't super realistic but it was good enough that you could figure out different angles and lighting to use before you ever touched the camera so you always had an idea in mind before you started... I think they still sell the software but its pricey and unless you have a lot of time to learn it a very tedious program to use. I think it was originally designed for 3d computer artists but it works for photographers that are willing to burn some hours learning it.

stratman50th

I started with film too. Every shot had to count since you didn't know what you had till it was developed. I use SLR's exclusively now, but I still have my AE-1 and the glass that went with it. I plan and execute my digital shots as if I was still shooting film. I do very little post as well.

eliza61nyc

Interesting stuff guys, thanks. I am a newbie photo gal (not even going to use photographer, lol). my kids brought me a Nikon slr for mother's day so I'm voraciously reading stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom