How strict are they on dining reservations?

Jheyman

Original Poster
Ok here is my question, we have a bunch of ADRs and just found out some other relatives are traveling at the same time. We have a party of 8 total ( 7 + a high chair) and the new party is a party of 3. One of our reservations has a party of 8 at a table for 10 at the cape may café. My question is if I up the reservation to 10 do you think they will let us just add the high chair when we get there? I was told we could do this at whispering canyon originally but then I was just told no by this particular reservation person. Anyone ever do this? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :brick: :veryconfu

Edit: Also I forgot anything special if I register us all as a magical gathering?

ELopez

If your ADR is at a table for 10, could you at least change your reservation to a party of 10 (if you can't get 11)?

We tried showing up with extra people for our D+ADRs at LTT once. It was a weekday at the end of Sept. They said "no problem", but then we waited FOREVER (ok, it just felt like it). Anyway, I won't try that again.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
A party of 11 is a lot of people for a restaurant to deal with. They need to know the full number of people coming and they wont put you at a smaller table and just add the highchair. They need to keep walkways and such open.

Jheyman

Original Poster
If your ADR is at a table for 10, could you at least change your reservation to a party of 10 (if you can't get 11)?

We tried showing up with extra people for our D+ADRs at LTT once. It was a weekday at the end of Sept. They said "no problem", but then we waited FOREVER (ok, it just felt like it). Anyway, I won't try that again.

Yes if I call back they will let me change it to 10 but when i told them we were 11 including the chair she was like absolutly not, I don't want to lose our good ADRs but if I change this to ten I don't see how it could be a big deal to add the high chair but if there is a reason I am sure that the folks on here can tell me why.

Jheyman

Original Poster
A party of 11 is a lot of people for a restaurant to deal with. They need to know the full number of people coming and they wont put you at a smaller table and just add the highchair. They need to keep walkways and such open.

Thanks Merf, I agree , but I am kinda in a tough situation some peoples feelings have been hurt by this so I am trying to do my best, on the good side of things we are talking about cape may cafe's buffet so there isnt much to do as far as wait staff and such.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Have the party of 3 make their own ressie. 11 people cannot sit at a table and communicate anyways.

Disney will not put excess people at tables because they need walkways and exits - the restaurants are crowded as it is.

And about hurting people's feelings - they obviously missed a deadline somewhere. The hurt feelings should be a wakeup call to plan ahead.

Jheyman

Original Poster
I agree Merf but family is well family ya know sometimes you have to do illogical things. If anyone has had specific experince at CMC at the BC let me know. Thanks!

MaXXimus

I myself would be pretty peeved if they wouldnt accomidate a highchair. I would go in as a party of 10 and then be like "Oh wait I need a highchair also... oops my bad" :shrug:

Sleepy01

I don't want to lose our good ADRs but if I change this to ten I don't see how it could be a big deal to add the high chair but if there is a reason I am sure that the folks on here can tell me why.

I don't feel like anyone here should have to tell you why. Disney already told you absolutely not. If you wanted to know why you should have asked the representative. It seems like you want people here to validate your thoughts about trying to get around the rules.

If I were in your position I would ask myself what the priority is. Is it to have dinner at a place I've been looking forward to and planned in advance to make that happen? Or is it to have dinner with my family and avoid the hurt feelings and potential conflicts? Once I made that decision I would take the appropriate actions to make that happen.

We can't always have our Beaches & Cream and eat it too...

I myself would be pretty peeved if they wouldnt accomidate a highchair. I would go in as a party of 10 and then be like "Oh wait I need a highchair also... oops my bad" :shrug:

And then when your request was denied or you had to wait a while you'd come back and post about what awful service you got during your trip. About how you had ADRs and the staff didn't handle the situation well at all. All the while you knew going in you were trying to get away with something.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I can honestly tell you since I literally book hundreds of dining reservations for clients each month that you must tell them the total number in your party including the high chair when making a dining reservation. I agree with Merf on the suggestion of having the party of 3 make thier own reservation.

Good Luck and have a wonderful time!

Pam

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
I used to book Disney dining and what you have been told so far about having to give the exact number of people in the party, no matter the age, is correct. Every person must have their own seat. The restaurants can not just stick a chair (or highchair) anywhere they want. As Merf said there are rules about the walkways as well as fire codes and maximum occupancy. There is no way around this except to book a separate reservation for the second party and request at the podium to be NEAR each other IF POSSIBLE. The restaurant will do their best, but you may have to wait longer and it may ultimately end up not being possible.

Also, a Magical Gathering does not help your chances of being seated together, you still have to make ressies just like everyone else for your entire party size. Dining at the very beginning or very end of the meal period will help your chances of being seated together. :wave:

Jheyman

Original Poster
Can't we all get along.........

I don't feel like anyone here should have to tell you why. Disney already told you absolutely not. If you wanted to know why you should have asked the representative. It seems like you want people here to validate your thoughts about trying to get around the rules.

If I were in your position I would ask myself what the priority is. Is it to have dinner at a place I've been looking forward to and planned in advance to make that happen? Or is it to have dinner with my family and avoid the hurt feelings and potential conflicts? Once I made that decision I would take the appropriate actions to make that happen.

We can't always have our Beaches & Cream and eat it too...

And then when your request was denied or you had to wait a while you'd come back and post about what awful service you got during your trip. About how you had ADRs and the staff didn't handle the situation well at all. All the while you knew going in you were trying to get away with something.

Ok lets ease up here a bit folks, I wasn't trying to get around rules, I guess I left out a part that originally another one of our ADRs at Whispering Canyon I was told by another rep that you can just pull a highchair up. Please don't assume things that are far from the truth, I was just asking what folks experiences were with highchairs/ # of people and everyone except for you seemed to have great and constructive answer ( as always thank you all!!)

Personally I don't care if this other group can make it but I'm attempting to accommodate a ton of people and was looking for the friendly advice I am used to around here. Again sorry I left out part of the story but I was just trying to keep it short, sweet and hear folks opinions. As far as people having to tell me anything no one HAS to tell me anything, but Merf was nice enough to give me a logical explanation.

I still don't get why no matter what the topic someone feels these boards are a place to start a fight and criticize other people. Why I personally would never encourage censorship I just think people need to think about what to do when you have nothing nice to say.....

Anyway to all of you who helped THANK YOU!!!

Sleepy01

I sincerely apologize if you were insulted by my tone, or I made a judgment off the initial post without having the whole story.

In all honestly I hope you have a great trip with your family!

Jheyman

Original Poster
I sincerely apologize if you were insulted by my tone, or I made a judgment off the initial post without having the whole story.

In all honestly I hope you have a great trip with your family!

Not a problem we can all have misunderstandings espically across text, it was also a general comment though how this boards can get mean sometimes. Thank you very much for appoligizing though and have a great night!

PigletIsMyCat

I would keep the original ADR, but shoot for two ADRs, one for five people and one for five plus high chair. That way everyone can talk to each other (ten is too much at a table for conversations) and, since it's a buffet, you could technically table hop. If you can get two ADRs, put in a request that they be near each other, and reiterate that request when you go to check in. Chances are that they may be able to put your groups at two tables in the same area. Remember that rules are there for a reason, and I'm guessing that the CM that told you you could just request a high chair with no problems was assuming that you had an ADR INCLUDING the child with need for a high chair, not adding on a child in a high chair, if you see what I mean.

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
Instead of a high chair, can the child just sit on someone's lap? Does Disney allow this?

I've never tried it, so I don't know what they would say at the podium, but the answer we were given at the time that I was booking was no, every person, regardless of age had to be accounted for in a seat :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom