How soon is too soon between trips?

santa's surpriz

Been a while since I posted and this has been a pressing topic for me lately. Hoping to get a few opinions...how soon is too soon between trips. My daughter is 6 and we just there in December 2007. I would love to take her again bc she had such a wonderful time. I was thinking of late Jan/early Feb 2009. Mostly bc I do not have time this holiday season but also to experience another time of the year. I am hoping I can plan it so the Pirate and Princess Party can be option. But I am afraid to set the precedence that we will go every year, the last thing I want to do is spoil my child..I am single parent so I cannot promise her that will happen. On the flip side...in a few years she will not enjoy spending as much time with me! Even though it's difficult to grow out of Disney I think she will enjoy much more now rather than closer to her teens when every thing will be lame with mom...Not a day goes by that I hear, "next time at Disney World..."

Every other vacation option I consider WDW just seems like a better value for the money and the memories. With just the two of us a beach vacation seems out the question bc I foresee it as complete stress trying to keep a 360 degree view on her 24/7 where as WDW is a more controlled environment. I am stuck on what to do...no one quite understands my dilemma bc they are at not in love with such a magical place as I am, so I am seeking opinions of those that share the same passions for everything Disney!

JustPlainBill

But I am afraid to set the precedence that we will go every year, the last thing I want to do is spoil my child..I am single parent so I cannot promise her that will happen.
I understand fully what you are saying here.
We went last June 2007 and we have another trip planned this August 2008. It took some self-convincing to justify the cost of going again, for us sooner than we ever have before. On our trip last year there was so much we weren't able to see. We probably won't go again for 3 or 5 years, after this one. It's not just a matter of not wanting to go, or about what we can afford for our family. We would also like to take our kids to other places for vacation to widen their world and show them there is more than just Disney, as sacrilegious as that may sound. I'm sure our kids will understand that.

Upvote 0

santa's surpriz

Original Poster
I could go several times a year and never get tired of it. While I would love to go every year, DH thinks that it is more special to go every other year or so. He's crazy right!?! I say, if you have the money, and you are not charging, delaying paying bills or anything else like that, then go!!:wave:

That is the exact same feedback I am getting...every year will not make it special, but I truly believe that being special is in the planning. I don't want to go overboard, but I do believe that DD wants to go back as much as I do. Planning WDW trips means I am not blowing money on vacations elsewhere so with all the great feedback, I am investing my money in memories. What could be more priceless?

Upvote 0

gmg

i agree that you can never go too often. My DH took us in jan for my 40th birthday and we bought into DVC. We have a long weekend planed for June and then 9 days in October. I have too children dd6 and ds9, pretty soon they will not want to be with us (as much as we would like) If you can afford it, why not? your children will remember these times for the rest of their lives - you can only be with them for so long

Upvote 0

Scooter

We usually go twice a year. That seems about right for us.

One year we bought an annual pass and went 3 times in one year, and to be honest, it got to be kind of redundant. All three trips were week long stays and the problem was that not much changes when you go that often. The gift shops have the same stuff, and the attractions are pretty much the same. We are going to wait a year until our next trip. That's about as long as we can stand without going...and with gas and food prices the way they are getting, that's about all we can afford right now.:(

We may still go twice a year once in a while. We always go in May because we Love The Flower and Garden show, but if we only went once a year all the time in May, we would never get to see Disney at Christmas time, which is awesome.

Upvote 0

palmage

We used to go between 4-6 times a year since 89.
It started to get a little stale.

We're now over a year since our last visit and probably won't be there till fall.

We still love going, and I love talking about it.

I just want it to be fresh when we go again.

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

I know where you are coming from. As a fellow single parent who keeps track of every dime I have, making trips to Disney World isn't always easy, but we still go as much as we can (at least once a year).

I know people think that too many trips like that will spoil a kid, but I think its all in how you approach things. For one, envolve her in the planing. We are always talking about what we want to see on our next trip. We read about things we have never done before, and laugh about the things we did last time. Also, let her know how much it costs and ask her to help you save up for the trip. My DD does chores around the house so every week we put some money in our "Disney Fund" jar we keep in the kitchen. This way she feels like she is helping earn the trip, and she knows that getting to go takes a lot of hard work.

Upvote 0

No1DopeyFan

I don't think there is a too soon either. I don't think I could ever get tired of going to my favorite place. I love watching my kids as they enter the MK. I don't think there is anything better.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

If taking kids on family vacations where they just spend quality time with mom & dad is spoiling them... then consider my kids spoiled rotten!!!

We as a family love WDW, it's the place where we have the most fun "together", it's the place where we relax the most, and it's the place where it's just us (our family and nobody else)! WDW is our special place! I know it's the memories I make there that I'll remember when the kids are left home. Life's too short not to spend good quality time together as a family!

Planning a vacation every year puts things in perspective during the year as well. We have to save and cut corners to afford our WDW vacation. We explain to our son that to be able to go to WDW that we can't always eat out, buy treats all the time, or purchase toys for no reason (other than birthdays, Christmas, etc.). He's really starting to understand the value of a WDW vacation. In fact, just last night we were at Walmart together and he was looking at a toy he wanted. I was actually going to price the toy and put it away for his birthday (which is just before our next trip) but my son told me to put the toy back b/c we needed the money for WDW! Wow, he's only 4 but he's starting to understand the concept of money!

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

We usually go a year in between our trips. This year we are going almost exactly a year later than when we went in November 07. The planning and counting down the days of the trip builds most of the anitcipation, and we love it. Every year we get the same exciting feelings before our trip and it will never change.

I can remember one time I went in August of 1998 with my stepdad and stepsister for 8 days, came home and a week later went again with my mom and sister. It was so cool, and a once in a lifetime thing for me. I'll never forget it.

Upvote 0

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
We went for about 3 days for my daughter's birthday in January 2006. Found out they were holding passholder previews for Expedition Everest so we came back the next weekend. Ending up getting our Seasonal Passes so we made 7 visits that year. Only 1 visit last year (I think...they blur a bit) Have ressies for Free Dining 8/29-9/1. Who knows...might get passes again and make another 6-7 trips in the year. I happen to live in Miami so it's easy to make the 3.5 hour drive plus lots and lots of Disney Reward dollars helps to make multiple trips a reality. (In my lifetime, I think I've been to Disney World more than 70 times...my Dad loved to drive!) It all depends on your individual situation.

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
My daughter is 6 and we just there in December 2007. I would love to take her again bc she had such a wonderful time. I was thinking of late Jan/early Feb 2009.

*giggle*

Oh wait, you're serious. :lookaroun

My kids are ages 4 and 6 and in a couple weeks I'm taking them on their NINTH full length Disney vacation. We rarely go over 6 months between Disney vacations.

And you're talking about 13-14 months in between! I think I would absolutely die! :eek:

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Sounds like my dream, Carolyn...hehe.

We went in summer 06 (DS was 2 1/2) and 07 (then 3 1/2) and are going back again this summer. It is a great family vacation with sooo much to see, do and eat. It is also a good value for the money, I think. Sure, the cost of some items are a bit embellished, like water bottles, but for the most part, we think it isn't bad.:)

Upvote 0

santa's surpriz

Original Poster
Drumroll please.....I have decided that I agree with so many of you! We are going early 2009!!!!

Reading all posts it's easy to realize that it will only spoil my daughter if she does not appreciate it. Which I have learned is in the planning. The other thing i began to think about...my family went on a several long long weekend trips throughout the year to many destinations, but never to WDW. ( I caught the bug when I was on the CP, 1993.) Not one of them is overly memorable! In fact, we went to DC , I cannot remember anything about actually being in DC, but I do remember stopping at McDonald's in PA on that trip. That is the only specific detail I remember from all of the trips! Adding up all the costs of the trips in any given year my parents probably spent more than I would on our trip to WDW. I know the memories we make at WDW will stick and I will cut my self short the rest of the year, but I know it will be worth it!

Thank you everyone!!!!! Now I have some planning to do! I hope the Pirate and Princess Parties will be in full swing and a discount would not hurt either!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom