How scary is DINOSAUR for a 5-year-old?

JChoma

Original Poster
Another poster helpfully pointed out that Dinosaur at AK terrified her child, who did fine at Haunted Mansion. I'm leaning towards not taking my five-year-old now. Obviously kids are all different and what's really scary for some may not be for others, but to get a general idea, just how scary is dinosaur? I wouldn't put my daughter in the "easily scared" category...she's seen the Harry Potter and Star Wars movies (has an older brother :) and has done fine. I'm sure dinosaur takes things to a new level, though. How did your kids react to the ride? Would appreciate any tips/ advice :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Like you said, it depends on the kid, but I would put Dinosaur in the pretty scary category.

It is incredibly loud and a pretty rough ride. Quite honestly, there is nothing in WDW that you could really compare it to save for maybe ToT and even that is a bit of a stretch.

epcotisbest

Another poster helpfully pointed out that Dinosaur at AK terrified her child, who did fine at Haunted Mansion. I'm leaning towards not taking my five-year-old now. Obviously kids are all different and what's really scary for some may not be for others, but to get a general idea, just how scary is dinosaur? I wouldn't put my daughter in the "easily scared" category...she's seen the Harry Potter and Star Wars movies (has an older brother :) and has done fine. I'm sure dinosaur takes things to a new level, though. How did your kids react to the ride? Would appreciate any tips/ advice :)
It is too intense for me, and I am in my 50s. I don't see any reason to chance it when there are so many other wonderful things to do. And seeing a movie is less intense than a dark ride.

belledream

I would definitely classify it as scary. It's dark, chaotic and choppy, and the dinosaurs are pretty large and can 'get pretty close'. That being said, I'm pretty sure a lot of kids come out crying the first time, but others grow to love it afterwards.

PrincessRachelT

I would say it's pretty scary. My grandmother forced me on it when o was 8 (forced because I knew what it was from the Animal Kingdom singalong with Flik) and I still can't go on it without closing my eyes and having small panic attacks :p I'm terrified of it!

FigmentPigments

I love that ride! However, for a 5 year old, I think it's a little too intense, the dinosaur literally comes at your at the end of the ride, not to mention when you get your picture taken it's leaning over you roaring. I can't tell you how many ride pictures I see with the kids covering their ears or hiding their faces in Mom or Dad's shirt. Might want to skip it this time.

MrDee

Like others have said, it depends on the child. I have a 10yr. old son that still won't even try it, but my 7 yr. old quadruplets love it. It is very loud, very bumpy, mostly dark, and even I got chills the first time I rode it, but of course LOVED that it elicited such an actual physical sensory response.

dizfan917

We took my nephew on the ride during his first visit and I think he was 5 1/2 or so. He LOVED dinosaurs and could tell you all about them. We thought he'd really enjoy the ride. nope. scared the crap out of him and he kept his head down the whole time. I don't think he ever even saw a dinosaur on the ride... He digs it now at 13, so no permanent damage done. I might give it a pass.

JChoma

Original Poster
Ok, after seeing the video I think my daughter might freak out. I mean, I might!! :)
I have feeling I'll be at the boneyard while the rest of the fam rides that :) Thanks everyone!

DfromATX

I've ridden Tricertops Spin many times with my son when he was that age while we waited for the others to do Dinosaur. It was his favorite ride at the time. Actually, they are fond memories cause now he loves Tower of Terror.

Last edited:

MississippiBelle

Sounds like you already have your mind made up, but just another confirmation from me! Last time we were there, there was an extremely young child (probably 6 or 7) who looked absolutely terrified the entire time. I felt so bad for him... but mostly because my brother and I were entertaining ourselves by acting extra scared by everything and we didn't realize he was in the car with us (and that we were probably making it much worse) until we got to the in-ride photo area and saw his poor little face. :( If his family happens to be on here, we are really sorry!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom