How much longer?

NickMaio

Original Poster
So the next time your car gets a flat tire you should give up on it because it is 100 year old technology?

Even if they tore down the whole system and replaced it with the most modern monorail system, it could still get a flat tire.
Let's be honest here - - - it's more than just a flat tire going on on.
Especially in the last 15 or so years.............

This thing is worse than an old dying car - - -it spends more time in the shop than on the road.

Last edited:

NickMaio

Original Poster
The Monorail is still transporting huge loads of guests on a daily basis. Some go the resort loop to get to each resort for dining, shopping or visiting. Guests utilize it to get from their resort to MK and from MK back to their resorts. They use it to transport to EP and back. Some guests just enjoy the ride as an added experience to their trip. It still functions effectively and has relatively few break downs compared to the trips/ miles that they traverse. Maintenance has done a fantastic job keeping them running. Losing the Monorail would be a travesty. Disney shouldnt give up on the Monorail over a flat tire and a few breakdowns that occur infrequently.
On our last 4 WDW trips - - the monorail was operational 50% of our time there.
Its efficiency has drastically dropped.

monorail81

On our last 4 WDW trips - - the monorail was operational 50% of our time there.
Its efficiency has drastically dropped.
I blame the automation for some of the mechanical issues. Sometimes, it is a lot harder on the trains than when the GOOD Pilots were actually driving them. There were ways to make the ride smoother for the Guests, which in turn made it easier on the trains.

MagicRat

How much longer?

Geez, longer they just put up new signs at the transportation and ticket center. This board was complaining about that for six months. New signs so wait longer.

NickMaio

Original Poster
I blame the automation for some of the mechanical issues. Sometimes, it is a lot harder on the trains than when the GOOD Pilots were actually driving them. There were ways to make the ride smoother for the Guests, which in turn made it easier on the trains.
It was brutal - - - In the past the monorails were never down - and if they were, it was an hour or so tops - - never all day or over extended days.
Every morning we entered the park - our little guys were so excited to ride the monorail - - nope, sorry its down - -
it was like this for 3 weeks every morning we went.

Whatever the cause, WDW is a billion dollar company---Billion.
They have the resources to create one of the most complicated and immerse dark rides in the world -- And have it running even when there is a glitch in the program.
Yet here were are with this monorail - flat tires and all ???

Maybe the answer lies in the past - - the monorail was treated like a WDW icon and given the attention it deserved.
Now - not so much.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Nope, that would be a drop in the bucket. I thought you followed the discussion over the years detailing the problem to change the contemporary station so new train design is out but the real problem is no one that makes monorails wants to build 12 trains that require new tooling. It is not possible for them to make a profit when they have orders for hundreds of trains from municipal systems. Disney is the little guy here hoping the single vendor that might have the ability to construct a train will put aside their other business to tool up and build a bespoke system.
I have not followed the monorail discussion... Because I have no hope for new monorails anyways, even though I think Disney is more than capable of getting it done and paying for it. Even if, as you say, new stations and this that and the other need to get done.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

NickMaio

Original Poster
How much longer?

Geez, longer they just put up new signs at the transportation and ticket center. This board was complaining about that for six months. New signs so wait longer.
You pay 150 per person to get into the MK - - yet one of the biggest sources of transportation to get there has been having issues for over a decade.....not little ones either.

- doors open while moving
-people evacuated in the air
-massive downtimes

I am not sure I see the corelation with compaling about signs here??

NickMaio

Original Poster
I have not followed the monorail discussion... Because I have no hope for new monorails anyways, even though I think Disney is more than capable of getting it done and paying for it. Even if, as you say, new stations and this that and the other need to get done.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
They totally are - - - - they just choose not to.

Because it is not a revenue generator like the new rides that are bringing people in.
If they can design ROTR to run even in B mode they can design/contract out a monorail that works just as well.

MagicRat

You pay 150 per person to get into the MK - - yet one of the biggest sources of transportation to get there has been having issues for over a decade.....not little ones either.

- doors open while moving
-people evacuated in the air
-massive downtimes

I am not sure I see the corelation with compaling about signs here??
You make this sound like it’s a daily occurrence. I have never entered from the TTC but know you can take a boat and even a bus to MK if you wanted to access.

I pay to stay at Poly, GF and BLT to use the monorail so I frequent them and am not remotely as fired up over a rare incident as you claim this to be, let’s go back to the nonissue spalling Epcot concrete from this past summer too while we’re at it!

Guess what airplane tires pop too! Do I want it to happen when I am on the flight, of course not, but the pilot and maintenance know how to handle the problem. So does Disney.

jloucks

I would think too, that a good pilot could hear and/or feel certain issues before they result in a catastrophic failure.

JoeCamel

I would think too, that a good pilot could hear and/or feel certain issues before they result in a catastrophic failure.
For the tire issue I think they have as much chance of finding a bad tire as the truck driver that fails to do a walk around of their trailer. The pilots don't have access to thump them or inspect for wear and they run in sets so if one goes down the other can mask it until it fails completely. If the train was in the shops overnight I would expect air pressures to be checked before it is returned to service but not all trains go to the shops overnight.
I guess someone could have let their anklebiter run out on the beam with a pocketful of roofing nails and the tire went flat after it left the shop if it was in at night but probably not.
Let me be clear I do think they should be replaced and I am sure some want to buy a new Hudson terraplane but that store is closed and the machinery to build one long since melted down into a new auto or I beam so there simply is nowhere to buy one. I guess you could design and build some yourself but are you going to spend a billion to get into the business of building outdated monorails for a non-existent market? Not good business on any level

Last edited:

NickMaio

Original Poster
You make this sound like it’s a daily occurrence. I have never entered from the TTC but know you can take a boat and even a bus to MK if you wanted to access.

I pay to stay at Poly, GF and BLT to use the monorail so I frequent them and am not remotely as fired up over a rare incident as you claim this to be, let’s go back to the nonissue spalling Epcot concrete from this past summer too while we’re at it!

Guess what airplane tires pop too! Do I want it to happen when I am on the flight, of course not, but the pilot and maintenance know how to handle the problem. So does Disney.
4 separate summer vacations....each with an operating ratio of about 50% give or take....

I guess we are the only ones who experience that level of outages.

Anyway....
Contrary to what you might think. I'm not worked up at all about it. Just stating that it really is time for WDW to invest in this icon of transportation.

As it seems to me. Things are getting worse and not better.

JIMINYCR

4 separate summer vacations....each with an operating ratio of about 50% give or take....

I guess we are the only ones who experience that level of outages.

Anyway....
Contrary to what you might think. I'm not worked up at all about it. Just stating that it really is time for WDW to invest in this icon of transportation.

As it seems to me. Things are getting worse and not better.
Maybe you hit it at just the wrong times. I cant dispute your report of 50% but In all my many trips which include multiple Monorail rides throughout our two week stays at different times of the year, weve had no issues. I have in the past seen online when its been reported when the door opened and the few breakdowns occurred so yes I acknowledge those happened but not to the extent that its a horrible service thats out of commission enough to scrap whats functioning.
Yes, its only proper for Disney to be upgrading when its feasible. When that day comes listen to the grumbling that gets posted about the lengthy out of service transportation and how inconvenienced guests are that pay for trips expecting the monorail running when they get there.

WondersOfLife

This entire statement in and of itself sounds too complicated and shouldn't exist. What worked in 1971 doesn't work nearly as well today.

WondersOfLife

They totally are - - - - they just choose not to.

Because it is not a revenue generator like the new rides that are bringing people in.
You'd think they'd want people to get to MK faster in order for them to get to those Main Street shops during rope drop though...... Anything is a revenue generator if you look at it from a different angle.

Even upgrading the monorails to be more efficient would be a revenue generator INVESTMENT by cutting down maintenance, repairs, and replacement parts not as often.

NickMaio

Original Poster
You'd think they'd want people to get to MK faster in order for them to get to those Main Street shops during rope drop though...... Anything is a revenue generator if you look at it from a different angle.

Even upgrading the monorails to be more efficient would be a revenue generator INVESTMENT by cutting down maintenance, repairs, and replacement parts not as often.
I get you totally
But what I mean is.....
People won't book a new trip because of the monorail.

They will for GOTG and ROTR.

Disstevefan1

"The EPCOT Monorail line will remain closed for the foreseeable future" This will make all the Monorail haters very happy.

Farewell to our old yet beautiful WDW monorail :cry: This is worse than losing the Osborne lights. :cry:

monorail81

People won't book a new trip because of the monorail.
You underestimate people. It’s no different than folks who book a new trip because of a new nighttime show. There are people in this world who would be happy to ride a monorail all day just like those who would be happy to ride Park rides all day.

JoeCamel

It would be cheaper to build parking garages at the MK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom