How much longer?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
We focused on it because that was the main reason why the thread was started. They have a flat tire and it is made a direct connection to a completely different problem. If anyone thinks that I wouldn't like to see a new fleet of trains at WDW one would be way off base. The problem is that I am a realist, fantasy is Disney's job, but even they cannot circumvent reality. The two things that are falsely labeled would be the idea that they will replace them and that no maintenance is being done or is cut back. In response I reply things like if they had less maintenance on a 30 year old train they would already have been relegated to the scrap heap and why would anyone think that 30 years would be the lifespan of a train. For tax purposes maybe, but not physically. They have trains in the rail fleet that are 100 years old. (they don't have flat tires) Anything that has been built once can be rebuilt. It depends on the incentive. In my mind, there really aren't that many more monorail events then average through the years, however, now we find out about them because social media tells us when a tire goes flat. Before that unless we were there we never would have known that.

The second reality is because of costs, they will never replace the fleet, they will however eliminate them and replace them with gondola's now that they know they work well. If they were to replace them right now with gondola's within a generation and a half all the guests will never have seen or ridden on the monorails and they will be missed by no one except us old people and we tend to not travel as much to places like WDW due to illness or mobility or financial restrictions.

I never worry about the trains, however, I do have concern about the rails. Some have been out there in the open for 50 years. 50 years in the heat and humidity, wind and storms of Florida. If I were to be concerned about anything that would be my primary concern. They are nothing but reinforced concrete, the same materials used in so many bridge collapses over the years and they don't get much more than an occasional visual check. Think about that high spot coming out of the Contemporary. A spot that not only has the up and down stress but also it curves so it has sideways stress as well. If you really believe that Disney has cut back on maintenance imagine what little attention they get.
Any down time related to the monorails is relevant to the discussion given how often it happens.

Goofyernmost

Any down time related to the monorails is relevant to the discussion given how often it happens.
You missed my point. I don't think it happens much more often then it has over the last 30 years. We just didn't ever hear about it before then because either no one thought it was interesting or we ran out of things to complain about. Either way, I am not convinced that it happens any more often when balanced against the years/miles they have run. When, for example, did you last hear about a stalled train due to a flat tire. It might have happened many times we just didn't know the reason for the repair, but if it is unique it might be because they had to repair this before they could move it. Possibly to avoid further damage to the train or the rail. Stuff happens and not everything is news. But with that I will sign off the discussion about this.

WondersOfLife

You missed my point. I don't think it happens much more often then it has over the last 30 years. We just didn't ever hear about it before then because either no one thought it was interesting or we ran out of things to complain about. Either way, I am not convinced that it happens any more often when balanced against the years/miles they have run. When, for example, did you last hear about a stalled train due to a flat tire. It might have happened many times we just didn't know the reason for the repair, but if it is unique it might be because they had to repair this before they could move it. Possibly to avoid further damage to the train or the rail. Stuff happens and not everything is news. But with that I will sign off the discussion about this.
Point not missed. I just disagree.

John park hopper

The monorail for me is an attraction my first ride was in 1972 recently discharged from the service it was amazing. Been to WDW many times in the 70's and 80' 90's and riding the monorail was the beginning of my WDW trip experience. I don't ever remember it breaking down --maybe I was lucky. But I have noticed in later trips the last being 2019 they are showing their age ---for me its sad. Then again the DW says I'm showing my age.

Smiley/OCD

....If I had a car that was 100 years old, I'd bring it to car shows or put it on display. Not transport my family and friends in for several hours a day 365 days a year.

....if I had a really old car, I would go out on a limb and say I'd get a new one that's more reliable, safe, and efficient.

You're just trolling at this point. It's not about a flat tire. On a side note, Id actually be willing to bet that a new and more efficient system would be able to let a CM know there's an issue with a tire before it becomes a major problem. 🤷‍♂️😛
First, you’re implying that Disney’s monorails in Florida are 100 years old…they’re not.
Secondly, you say that with new technology, a CM would know ahead of time if there was an issue with a tire…yes, there is technology that can inform a CM or a driver if tires are over or under inflated…there is no technology that can inform a driver if there’s a defect in the tire that would cause a blowout. THAT could only be found by removing the tire, and in some cases removing it from the rim for inspection on the interior of the tire. Blowouts happen all the time. The age of the monorail has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it…the age and condition of the tire does…

WondersOfLife

First, you’re implying that Disney’s monorails in Florida are 100 years old…they’re not.
No I wasn't. Look at the post I quoted.
Secondly, you say that with new technology, a CM would know ahead of time if there was an issue with a tire…yes, there is technology that can inform a CM or a driver if tires are over or under inflated…there is no technology that can inform a driver if there’s a defect in the tire that would cause a blowout.
If something caused a blowout out of nowhere instead of just an old flat tire, then there must be a lack of maintenance involved somewhere.
Blowouts happen all the time.
Ah yes. The age old tire blowout problem we have had for years and years with no solution. I see it happen all the time.
The age of the monorail has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it…the age and condition of the tire does…
So maintenance. 👍 Lol

WondersOfLife

A blown tire is not a catastrophic failure…
For a moving vehicle several feet in the air on a singular beam with no way for guests to evacuate for several upon several hours where they spent thousands of dollars being nickeled and dimes and forced to schedule every minute of their day, and all of a sudden come to a hault... I'd consider it a catastrophic failure in my book. Lol.

Smiley/OCD

No I wasn't. Look at the post I quoted.

If something caused a blowout out of nowhere instead of just an old flat tire, then there must be a lack of maintenance involved somewhere.

Ah yes. The age old tire blowout problem we have had for years and years with no solution. I see it happen all the time.

So maintenance. 👍 Lol
You said “If I had a car that was 100 years old”…I don’t know how you could spin that any differently.

You obviously don’t trust Disney’s maintenance…I would suggest driving to the parks in your vehicle that I’m sure is meticulously maintained and you won’t have anything to worry about. I guess we’ll just agree to disagree 🤷‍♂️

Robbiem

For a moving vehicle several feet in the air on a singular beam with no way for guests to evacuate for several upon several hours where they spent thousands of dollars being nickeled and dimes and forced to schedule every minute of their day, and all of a sudden come to a hault... I'd consider it a catastrophic failure in my book. Lol.
I’d also examine the maintenance- how often are the tyres inspected now vs in the past, when are they replaced and what tyres are used.

If tyres were inspected daily replaced after 10,000 miles and they used goodyear brand in the past but now inspect weekly replace after 25,000 miles and use acme remoulds then Disney have added to the failure by making it more likely

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The monorails are going to go…

And the main reason is you’ve seen how incapable the management is of spending anything on infrastructure and maintenance…it’s like kryptonite now.

TWDC should have never been a wheeling and dealing stock company. It’s not compatible with quality in todays world.

Monorails are a good metaphor for that.

John park hopper

So the next time your car gets a flat tire you should give up on it because it is 100 year old technology?

Even if they tore down the whole system and replaced it with the most modern monorail system, it could still get a flat tire.
Pneumatic tires have been around for 100 years but the technology to make those tires has improved drastically. You wouldn't land todays jumbo jets or todays cars on tires from the 1920s or even tires from 1990. Monorail is 50 years old-- you are comparing apples to oranges.

lewisc

If tyres were inspected daily replaced after 10,000 miles and they used goodyear brand in the past but now inspect weekly replace after 25,000 miles and use acme remoulds then Disney have added to the failure by making it more likely
Do we have any reason to believe what you suggested is true?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually, these trains are younger than that. The current generation was introduced between 1989-1991. So, the oldest monorail in the fleet right now is about 34 years.
Yeah…but really they’re still past their reasonable operational expectation

The first Marks in Florida were replaced in 20 years…so there’s that

I doubt wells and Eisner got loaded one night and called up bombardier and said “hey…ya know those trains? Let’s get a new set…we don’t need em…but why not?”

Last edited:

NickMaio

Original Poster
Yeah…but really they’re still past their reasonable operational expectation

The first Marks in Florida were replaced in 20 years…so there’s that

I doubt wells and Eisner got loaded one night and called up bombardier and said “hey…ya know those trains? Let’s get a new set…we don’t need em…but why not?”
Eisner sure - - - Wells not so much. :)

The Colonel

monorail.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom