How much longer?

JoeCamel

JoeCamel

I'd say yes. If they're in the year 2023 and are still heavily relying on these things to get people just to the cars, I'd say this is kind of unacceptable.

If the monorails were updated to the latest tech, they probably wouldn't have to worry about even a flat tire.
You want to teleport or pay $300 to get in? A new transportation system is not in the budget and won't be so the future is not innovative it is utilitarian and the customer (not guest) will just have to cope with what is offered. The reality is that to replace the fleet you have to find someone who will tool up and devote a good portion of their operation to producing an outdated design when they can be turning out municipal fleets that make Disney look like a play toy or maybe you want to rebuild the stations to accommodate the new style of cars? Not in the budget so bus or build a parking garage at the park is the future.
As fans we can wish for the sky but it will always be a budget driven decision that weighs the return of spending against the costs and does not value or consider intangibles like "nice to have" "make the feels" or any other facet of fandom

gitchard

I'd say yes. If they're in the year 2023 and are still heavily relying on these things to get people just to the cars, I'd say this is kind of unacceptable.

If the monorails were updated to the latest tech, they probably wouldn't have to worry about even a flat tire.
So the next time your car gets a flat tire you should give up on it because it is 100 year old technology?

Even if they tore down the whole system and replaced it with the most modern monorail system, it could still get a flat tire.

monorail81

Well, they can’t tow it if the tire that went “flat” actually blew out and the undercarriage is touching the beam. If it was a load tire and it’s no longer capable
of bearing its load, it will damage the beam if they try to tow it. My non-insider guess is they are trying to secure some equipment to at least partially fix it on the beam so they CAN tow it. Either that or there’s suddenly a new State “inspection” on top of it none of us knows about keeping it where it is.

JIMINYCR

The Monorail is still transporting huge loads of guests on a daily basis. Some go the resort loop to get to each resort for dining, shopping or visiting. Guests utilize it to get from their resort to MK and from MK back to their resorts. They use it to transport to EP and back. Some guests just enjoy the ride as an added experience to their trip. It still functions effectively and has relatively few break downs compared to the trips/ miles that they traverse. Maintenance has done a fantastic job keeping them running. Losing the Monorail would be a travesty. Disney shouldnt give up on the Monorail over a flat tire and a few breakdowns that occur infrequently.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
A new transportation system is not in the budget and won't be so the future is not innovative it is utilitarian and the customer (not guest) will just have to cope with what is offered.
Their budget for the skyliner plus the money they've used to maintain the old system plus the money they poured into the Moana playground probably would have been enough for new monorail vehicles.

Wouldn't even need to change anything like capacity or whatnot. Just a more reliable new system.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
So the next time your car gets a flat tire you should give up on it because it is 100 year old technology?
....If I had a car that was 100 years old, I'd bring it to car shows or put it on display. Not transport my family and friends in for several hours a day 365 days a year.

....if I had a really old car, I would go out on a limb and say I'd get a new one that's more reliable, safe, and efficient.
Even if they tore down the whole system and replaced it with the most modern monorail system, it could still get a flat tire.
You're just trolling at this point. It's not about a flat tire. On a side note, Id actually be willing to bet that a new and more efficient system would be able to let a CM know there's an issue with a tire before it becomes a major problem. 🤷‍♂️😛

gitchard

Their budget for the skyliner plus the money they've used to maintain the old system plus the money they poured into the Moana playground probably would have been enough for new monorail vehicles.

Wouldn't even need to change anything like capacity or whatnot. Just a more reliable new system.
From my understanding, the new monorail systems cannot be put on the current beams. So they would need to start over with designing the trains then have to retool a factory to manufacture them.

If they want to go with more modern monorail trains they would need to replace all of the rails and rebuild the stations.

As long as the current trains frames are good, you could replace every part on them. Rebuild with modern motors and electronics with minor modifications. So why replace them?

ppete1975

Honestly outside of this the refurbs have done alot of good. Remember pre 2020 when doors wouldnt close and things were falling off. Anything can break, and I think this is one of those. Not the pre 2020 issues where they were just falling apart.

JoeCamel

Nope, that would be a drop in the bucket. I thought you followed the discussion over the years detailing the problem to change the contemporary station so new train design is out but the real problem is no one that makes monorails wants to build 12 trains that require new tooling. It is not possible for them to make a profit when they have orders for hundreds of trains from municipal systems. Disney is the little guy here hoping the single vendor that might have the ability to construct a train will put aside their other business to tool up and build a bespoke system.

Last edited:

plutofan15

Nope, that would be a drop in the bucket. I thought you followed the discussion over the years detailing the problem to change the contemporary station so new train design is out but the real problem is no one that makes monorails wants to build 12 trains that require new tooling. It is not possible for them to make a profit when they have orders for hundreds of trains from municipal systems. Disney is the little guy here hoping the single vendor that might be possible to construct a train will put aside their other business to tool up and build a bespoke system.
It doesn’t fit his narrative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom