How much for DVC?

MaXXimus

Original Poster
How much money are you looking at putting out yearly for a DVC and is this payed in full or monthly installments? Being able to stay at VWL seems very tempting but dont know a thing about DVCs and how they work.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
How much money are you looking at putting out yearly for a DVC and is this payed in full or monthly installments? Being able to stay at VWL seems very tempting but dont know a thing about DVCs and how they work.

How much you spend is dependant on how many points you buy. How many points you purchase is dependant on how many times you anticipate visiting in a one to two year period and how big (studio, one br, two br, three br) villa you would need. I think the minimum to buy in is 150 points. On top of the purchase cost there are yearly dues to cover property upkeep and taxes that run anywhere from $3-$4(more or less) per point. These annual dues are due at the beginning of the year. I highly recomend that you get the informational packet from DVC as well as take the tour if you are going to be on property.

Honestly, if you only go every two or three years for a week, its probably not for you. If you go every year, maybe twice a year, it can be a very good investment of your discretionary income.

You will find verying opinions on this board. There are quite of few threads already and you will find alot of information in them.

Good luck!

mprewitt

Honestly, if you only go every two or three years for a week, its probably not for you. If you go every year, maybe twice a year, it can be a very good investment of your discretionary income.

If someone will be going to WDW a minimum of once every other year, and will keep on doing this for the next 7-10 years, and usually stays at a Deluxe or even moderate resort, DVC will probably make sense.

You don't have to go every year. You can bank your points one year and have a fantastic vacation at WDW every other year.

While you can use your DVC points at the regular resorts at WDW, DL/DCA, DLP, etc, as well as at over 500 over locations via Interval Intl, I don't think anyone should buy into DVC because of that.

I agree with the prior poster about taking the DVC tour the next time you're at WDW.

MaXXimus

Original Poster
Well my next trip probably wont be until next year sometime and was hoping that if it was worth the money I would try to get into it before that trip. I am only interested in staying @ VWL 100% of the time with not a single thought about anywhere but there. All I would need is a one bedroom to accomidate my wife and myself and would like to go either 2 weeks a year or at the minimum 2 weeks every other year all depending upon the cost. With that in mind what costs would I be looking at?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Well my next trip probably wont be until next year sometime and was hoping that if it was worth the money I would try to get into it before that trip. I am only interested in staying @ VWL 100% of the time with not a single thought about anywhere but there. All I would need is a one bedroom to accomidate my wife and myself and would like to go either 2 weeks a year or at the minimum 2 weeks every other year all depending upon the cost. With that in mind what costs would I be looking at?

Well, in order to pretty much guarentee VWL, you would likely need to purchase VWL points. I am not sure if you can get those through Disney anymore, so you would likely have to go through a resaler or buy them from someone individualy.

mprewitt

VWL direct from DVC costs $98/point; the resale market would be less expensive. The annual maintenance at VWL is currently $4.73/point.

How many points you would need would also depend upon what time of year you wanted to go, as there are various DVC "seasons".

A 1 BR at VWL during "Adventure" season would be 22 points per night (Sun-Thu) and 45 points per night for Fri & Sat night.

mprewitt

Well, in order to pretty much guarentee VWL, you would likely need to purchase VWL points. I am not sure if you can get those through Disney anymore, so you would likely have to go through a resaler or buy them from someone individualy.

I just purchased 90 points at VWL direct from Disney. I've been able to purchase points direct from DVC for VWL, BWL, and BCV. I had to wait about 3 weeks on a waiting list for the BCV points, but the other two were immediately available.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I just purchased 90 points at VWL direct from Disney. I've been able to purchase points direct from DVC for VWL, BWL, and BCV. I had to wait about 3 weeks on a waiting list for the BCV points, but the other two were immediately available.

Wow, didnt realize they were that available or we would have added 150 VWL instead of SSR about a year ago. I am assuming these are from people that Disney bought them back from with right of first refusal?

mprewitt

Wow, didnt realize they were that available or we would have added 150 VWL instead of SSR about a year ago. I am assuming these are from people that Disney bought them back from with right of first refusal?

Yes, Disney execises ROFR and then turns around and sells the points to DVC members.

slappy magoo

Follow one of the links to the Timeshare Store, they're all over DVC threads. When you're there, you can find out what people are charging for the resale of DVC points, and how many points the rooms will cost you for the times of year you want.

Once you do all that, then you can determine whether or not it's worth it for you to buy into DVC. Everything else is kinda-educated-guessing on the parts of strangers on an internet forum.

Keep in mind, if VWL, OKW, BWV or BCV (or Vero Beach or Hilton Head for that matter) becomes your home resort, your points will expire much sooner than if you become a member at SSR or Animal Kingdom. Whether or not that factors into your decision making process, I've no idea.

MaXXimus

Original Poster
Can someone just tell me this... if I wanted to buy 200 points... @ $98/point that comes out to $19,600... how is this payed for? Is this required upfront or do you make payments? And then once that is payed off then all I will be required to pay is the maint. fees each year right? Which I figured out would be around $946 (2007 rates for VWL).

Also going with the assumption that points purchase can be payed in installments and you opted for the monthly payments of your maint. fees, will this be combined into one bill each month?

slappy magoo

Can someone just tell me this... if I wanted to buy 200 points... @ $98/point that comes out to $19,600... how is this payed for? Is this required upfront or do you make payments? And then once that is payed off then all I will be required to pay is the maint. fees each year right? Which I figured out would be around $946 (2007 rates for VWL).

Also going with the assumption that points purchase can be payed in installments and you opted for the monthly payments of your maint. fees, will this be combined into one bill each month?

DVC has a financing company if you need it, but their rates are high (10.99%). If you can't pay for it all up front, which is your best bet, you might want to see if you can get a home equity loan.

I don't know if they can combine your monthly payment with your maintenance fee. I know mine are separate.

hansel1

If you buy from disney direct, you can finance both the full payment and the monthly maintenance fees. However, disney takes out the maintenance fee on the 1st day of the month. Your mortgage payment will be seperate.

For 170 points with 10 percent down: I pay $203 in mortgage payments per month on the 15th. I pay $88 dollars for maintenance on the 1st.

Depending on your credit, disney requires 10 - 30 % down and then will finance the rest for you. The preferred interest rate from disney is 10.75% for 10 years.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
If it's VWL or nothing, buy your points through the Timeshare Store. I just got mine for $82.00/point (200 points). So if Disney is gonna charge you $98/pt you're looking at a $3200 price difference.

beachclubbasics

If you can hold out, keep watching the resales for VWL through the place that sponsors this page (The Timeshare store). If the economy tanks (many fed economists are prediitng a recession to start in the next 6 months to a year) you may be able to buy points much cheaper than if you bought today. Also, if the housing market keeps going down you may again be able to get a better deal as people will stat selling off assets in order to stave off bankruptcy/foreclosure.

I'm monitoring BCV points..if they get to a price level that I feel is advantageous, then I'll buy as well. But I need something like 300 points due to having a large family so I'm going to be waiting a bit longer than many would need to.

mprewitt

If you can hold out, keep watching the resales for VWL through the place that sponsors this page (The Timeshare store). If the economy tanks (many fed economists are prediitng a recession to start in the next 6 months to a year) you may be able to buy points much cheaper than if you bought today. Also, if the housing market keeps going down you may again be able to get a better deal as people will stat selling off assets in order to stave off bankruptcy/foreclosure.

Just keep in mind that the price per point for DVC only goes up. If what you think may happen, doesn't, then you'll end up paying more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom