How Much Do You Tip at Buffets?

Club Cooloholic

Why do you people tip for bad service?

Even if its bad, I'll leave a tip, these guys are making less than minimum wage per hour, and I don't always know whats going on with them(could be a bad day). If service is bad enough, I'll leave a small tip and then make sure to tell the manager. Its like when you get a bad haircut, you hate what they did but but there is a certain decorum you have to follow and thus leave that tip.

disneygirl1

Honestly, I think it all still depends on the service. I will say that I do not tip as much as I do at a sit down place where they take my order, but I usually tip between 10-15% depending.

SleepingMonk

Even if its bad, I'll leave a tip, these guys are making less than minimum wage per hour, and I don't always know whats going on with them(could be a bad day). If service is bad enough, I'll leave a small tip and then make sure to tell the manager. Its like when you get a bad haircut, you hate what they did but but there is a certain decorum you have to follow and thus leave that tip.

If it's something out of their control or an honest mistake I could understand.

Packed house, new kitchen staff, switched sides and apps, etc...

But for flat out bad service?

No tip.

Club Cooloholic

If it's something out of their control or an honest mistake I could understand.

Packed house, new kitchen staff, switched sides and apps, etc...

But for flat out bad service?

No tip.

We disagree I guess, I mean the service would have to be really bad! Did you ever have the displeasure of waiting tables? I did many moons ago, in a Disney owned property no less..ah I recall the shirt sleeve crease inspection like it was yesterday.....

420WDW MONSTER

I HATE TIPPING ALL TOGETHER AT RESTAURANTS!!! ITS NOT MY FAULT YOUR A WAITER , I HATE PAYING 20 EXTRA BUCKS FOR MY FOOD BECAUSE YOU BROUGHT MY FOOD FROM POINT A TO POINT B. TIP THE CHEF NOT THE WAITER, I'LL GLADING PICK UP MY FOOD AND REFILL MY DRINKS.

i still tip but i don't have to like it:mad:

DizMagic

If you can't afford tipping 20% for good service then you shouldn't be eating there. Like it or not tips are just a part of the cost of a meal in the US. I like it that way because it makes the servers work harder. I'm sure service would decline if all waiters made a fixed wage. Most are willing to work extra hard because it results in more money.

menamechris

I think the entire notion of tipping based on a certain percentage of the check is absurd, regardless of whether it's a served meal or a buffet. Did your waiter work any harder to bring you your filet mignon and Sam Adams than the couple next to you who ordered the turkey club and water? Why should the tip be any different?

So let me get this right. You scoff at people who are upset about ticket prices increases, and proceed to attempt to give them a business and economics lesson - However - You do not understand the importance of tipping wait staff who are providing a dining and service experience for you? I am guessing tips where you would eat would be between $5-10. Ironically, about the same amount of money you have been belittling others over with regard to ticket price increases. :rolleyes:

forevermickey

Always a tough debate. Technically a server at a non-buffet style table service restaurant should have a greater knowledge of the menu items and is responsible for bringing your food when it is prepared to order. So, there is more responsibility in bringing your food and beverages in a timely manner as it needs to be hot/cold. Also, they may be responsible for some perperation as in salads, soup and special considerations like things on the side. Servers occasionally also have to talk with the cooking staff to communicate special instructions.

They also often have to get drinks from the bar and have a basic knowledge of wine/beer/cocktails.

Although, just the sheer amount of table touches a server at a buffet could be considerably more. Plates, silverware, napkins, refills.....

In the past I usually gave 10-15% at a buffet and 20% at non-buffets.
I as well do 10- 15% @ buffet and 20 % @TS

wizards8507

So let me get this right. You scoff at people who are upset about ticket prices increases, and proceed to attempt to give them a business and economics lesson - However - You do not understand the importance of tipping wait staff who are providing a dining and service experience for you? I am guessing tips where you would eat would be between $5-10. Ironically, about the same amount of money you have been belittling others over with regard to ticket price increases.

No, I'm saying exactly the opposite of that. I fully appreciate the need to tip, but I think our system of tipping based on percentage is misguided. A waiter works just as hard to bring me a glass of water as they do to bring me a glass of beer. If I order water, I tip as if I ordered a soft drink. If I order a sandwich for dinner, I tip as if I ordered a chicken or beef dish.

Waiter A has a party of four and everyone gets soup and a sandwich with water. Waiter B has a party of two and each orders the surf and turf and a bottle of wine. Why should waiter B make three times as much?

Drop the personal insults any time.

menamechris

I apologize if you misconstrue my points as a personal insult.

I think if you asked any waiter or waitress, they would tell you the tipping system works fine. It is when people do not tip that it gets rough on them. And we all use it. I am sure you do not tip the same amount at Tony's on Main Street the same as California Grille at the Contemporary. They do the same amount of work - but you wouldn't tip $40 on a $30 bill - and to tip $6.00 on a $120+ dinner would be insulting to a fine dining waiter. Believe it or not, being a waiter or waitress is like most other jobs - you start at the bottom, learn the skills, pay your dues, and move up to finer dining establishments where you are paid more (and people don't order a soup and sandwich).

Again, I am not insulting you - just pointing out the "gray" area in your points.

wizards8507

I think if you asked any waiter or waitress, they would tell you the tipping system works fine. It is when people do not tip that it gets rough on them. And we all use it. I am sure you do not tip the same amount at Tony's on Main Street the same as California Grille at the Contemporary. They do the same amount of work - but you wouldn't tip $40 on a $30 bill - and to tip $6.00 on a $120+ dinner would be insulting to a fine dining waiter. Believe it or not, being a waiter or waitress is like most other jobs - you start at the bottom, learn the skills, pay your dues, and move up to finer dining establishments where you are paid more (and people don't order a soup and sandwich).

I agree with everything you said, but that wasn't my point. Certainly the waiter or waitress at the California Grill has "earned his/her stripes" enough where they deserve better compensation, it just seems bizarre that within the California Grill, typical etiquette rules dictate that the tip on a Filet is $8.80, while the tip on the ravioli is $5.60. That's a significant difference when you're working for tips. Each dish requires the same amount of work with the only difference presumably being the cost of the ingredients, which has nothing to do with the speed, attention, or friendliness of the wait staff.

menamechris

I agree with everything you said, but that wasn't my point. Certainly the waiter or waitress at the California Grill has "earned his/her stripes" enough where they deserve better compensation, it just seems bizarre that within the California Grill, typical etiquette rules dictate that the tip on a Filet is $8.80, while the tip on the ravioli is $5.60. That's a significant difference when you're working for tips. Each dish requires the same amount of work with the only difference presumably being the cost of the ingredients, which has nothing to do with the speed, attention, or friendliness of the wait staff.

Point taken. But again, its just the natural of the job and people in that line of work get it. Monday may not be a big tip day - but Tuesday may make up for it. Maybe Monday night no one ordered the wine, but Tuesday, 2 tables may order a bottle. I think its pretty safe to say it more often than not evens out.

wizards8507

Point taken. But again, its just the natural of the job and people in that line of work get it. Monday may not be a big tip day - but Tuesday may make up for it. Maybe Monday night no one ordered the wine, but Tuesday, 2 tables may order a bottle. I think its pretty safe to say it more often than not evens out.

Do you (or does anyone else) know if tips are pooled at WDW?

tizzo

I think the entire notion of tipping based on a certain percentage of the check is absurd, regardless of whether it's a served meal or a buffet. Did your waiter work any harder to bring you your filet mignon and Sam Adams than the couple next to you who ordered the turkey club and water? Why should the tip be any different?

I think that's why tipping a percentage of the bill is called a "rule of thumb" as opposed to a formula or a rule. Like I said in an earlier post, if I order water instead of tea, I'm going to adjust the tip accordingly. Likewise if I drink three glasses of water I'll probably tip a little differently than if I drink just one.

flavious27

If you can't afford tipping 20% for good service then you shouldn't be eating there. Like it or not tips are just a part of the cost of a meal in the US. I like it that way because it makes the servers work harder. I'm sure service would decline if all waiters made a fixed wage. Most are willing to work extra hard because it results in more money.

Most of us do not have the majority of our pay based on a gratuity, we all work hard, no matter the pay rate. This is also how servers in most country do it, they get a small monetary amount if they deserve.

As for 20% being the floor, this mentality pushed by wait staffs has to stop or people will just avoid going out. When I was growing up not 20 years ago 10% was a good enough tip, when I graduated from HS 10 years ago it had risen to 15%, now today it is 20%. The cost of entrees, beverages, and extras have been increasing, tips have risen in kind without needing to increase the percentage expected. Customers should not be shamed into not bowing down to the blogging wait staffs that want more and more for the same service.

flavious27

No, I'm saying exactly the opposite of that. I fully appreciate the need to tip, but I think our system of tipping based on percentage is misguided. A waiter works just as hard to bring me a glass of water as they do to bring me a glass of beer. If I order water, I tip as if I ordered a soft drink. If I order a sandwich for dinner, I tip as if I ordered a chicken or beef dish.

Waiter A has a party of four and everyone gets soup and a sandwich with water. Waiter B has a party of two and each orders the surf and turf and a bottle of wine. Why should waiter B make three times as much?

Because that is the way the american way is, everything is based on percentages in sales. The real estate agent that sold a 300k house worked as much as the guy selling a 200k house, but will get paid more because he brought in more income. The amount that a wait staff gets as a gratuity is a crap shoot, but it works out well when extras are promoted and specials are pushed.

lighteningqueen

I found out yesterday when I made our ressies for Dec that because there are 6 of us.. ages 55 55 34 36 8 and just turned 2 that we are expected to pay 18% no matter what and where, the baby will not require much that her mother will do for her, but we will pay the 18% this is new to us..

jllayton

The reason tips are calculated based on the amount of sales is because that is how taxes are calculated often times by the IRS. It is not based solely on tips reported because the IRS is not ignorant to servers withholding reported tips. This ensures that they pay adequate taxes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom