How much do you think you would like WDW in 1971 today and where would you rank it?

John park hopper

I posted this back in 2017-- some may be interested
Recently looking through old boxes of pictures for some of my military stuff and found our original Contemporary reservation for our honeymoon from March 20, 1977. I was shocked to see what we paid back then, we stayed at the Contemporary Garden wing (think it's gone now) paid $45/night, stayed 3 nights. If we stayed in the tower it would have been $60/night. On check in we received a folder which contained a copy of the The World news " good news from the vacation Kingdom" 8 page newpaper of info on WDW (still have it) Vol 7, No 3 It lists all sorts of stuff watercraft rentals --Ski Boat with driver $15/hour, Catamaran 12'-14' $4-6/ hour, sunfish $4/hour. Also says miles of sandy beaches which attracts swimmers all year round. For those in my age bracket who may remember these performers the following Guy Lombardo and his royal Canadians, Comic George Kirby and the Mills Brothers would be performing the month of March at the Sky Top Supper Club. We made reservations for the Polynesian Luaus 8:15 seating cost $12.50/person (lucky to find a burger @ that price now). We also ate at The Contemporary Terrace Buffeteria $1.10-3.95. To be honest I can't remember how the food compares to now. Times and prices sure have changed over the years

I remember swimming in the lagoon and never gave gators a thought

BoarderPhreak

I guess it has been talked about before but why could you swim in the lake, or lagoon I guess, in the 1970s and not today? Alligators existed then too with what I would assume was with less resources to keep them out.
It wasn't until gators snatched a boy on-property that things got serious - and all beaches got roped off. But before that, there was concern over naegleria fowleri (brain-eating amoeba) which a boy at River Country contracted. Disney figured it was all too much liability and that was that. There are countless pools on property that can be sanitized, monitored - controlled.

John park hopper

It wasn't until gators snatched a boy on-property that things got serious - and all beaches got roped off. But before that, there was concern over naegleria fowleri (brain-eating amoeba) which made its debut at River Country.
Back in 77 the amoeba was something we never even heard of. Not isolated to FL waters we had a case here in SC a few years back seems to be prevalent in warm lake/pond water

BoarderPhreak

Back in 77 the amoeba was something we never even heard of. Not isolated to FL waters we had a case here in SC a few years back seems to be prevalent in warm lake/pond water
Yup... It was a case here, a case there. Now it seems we're hearing about it all over. There was a case in New Jersey just a few weeks ago at a water park.

FettFan

I guess it has been talked about before but why could you swim in the lake, or lagoon I guess, in the 1970s and not today? Alligators existed then too with what I would assume was with less resources to keep them out.

That's a good question...
seven_seas_lagoon_swimming_11.jpg

Personally I think it's the lack of activity in the 7SL that has caused the gators to start coming back.
There used to be water skiing, sailboating, parasailing, etc.

Heck, Dick Nunis had a wave machine built on the island facing the Polynesian because he was an avid surfer and hoped that the Poly could host an annual surf competition.
Problem was it worked a little TOO well, and was actually causing the sand beaches to erode away....so it was turned off and, in true Disney fashion, allowed to rot away.

Alas....that era is long over now. Maybe because Disney was worried about accidental drownings, maybe they figured that the brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri that inhabits warm freshwater in the southeast United States, maybe because in the 1990s, they wanted to shift the focus to resort hotels and fancier themed swimming pools and the two new water parks. Maybe it was a perfect storm of all of the above.

But, whatever the reason, the activity on the 7SL died down tremendously...and the lack of human activity led to more wildlife moving right in.

Not to mention the fact that the 7SL islands that once had routine landscaping and maintenance.....
1df132_3be4f5b6684545879e2b693903f5ecb0.jpg

have been allowed to grow wild, providing more places for wildlife to call home very close to the Poly and Grand Floridian.
59f4d8f00c90de83594b378204803d62.jpg
Magic_Kingdom_-_Castle_from_Lagoon.jpg

Left: the islands with white sand beaches in 1972. Right: How the islands have looked since the early 2000s.

EDIT - WOW. Way to go, censorship software. Dick Nunis. Dick Nunis. RICHARD Nunis?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom