How much do you think you would like WDW in 1971 today and where would you rank it?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
The thing is, in 1971 can you make more than a day at Magic Kingdom? I suspect there wasn't too many people staying an entire week at Fort Wilderness or Poly or the Contemporary, was there? I guess that would be the biggest knock.

Bender123

The thing is, in 1971 can you make more than a day at Magic Kingdom? I suspect there wasn't too many people staying an entire week at Fort Wilderness or Poly or the Contemporary, was there? I guess that would be the biggest knock.

The whole idea of WDW wasn't a theme park experience, it was a resort experience. We went as a family from the 70s and 80s and it was a couple days at the Park, parents would golf for a day or two, we would have days at the pool, rent a boat, head over to the village for shopping, catch the Hoop de Doo, Luau, etc...Parents would take a date night at the Top of the World.

The theme park was the wienie to get a family there to do the other things. The MK was something you did because it was there, not because it was the only reason you went.

jloucks

The whole idea of WDW wasn't a theme park experience, it was a resort experience. We went as a family from the 70s and 80s and it was a couple days at the Park, parents would golf for a day or two, we would have days at the pool, rent a boat, head over to the village for shopping, catch the Hoop de Doo, Luau, etc...Parents would take a date night at the Top of the World.

The theme park was the wienie to get a family there to do the other things. The MK was something you did because it was there, not because it was the only reason you went.
It was toyed with going even further and making it an entire lifestyle complete with on site housing. Walt died tho, and that was that.

General Mayhem

I think my favorite years at WDW were 1993-1997, 1998 is where it all started going downhill.

As for 1971 I'm good, that was like WDW lite back then.

BoarderPhreak

Magic Kingdom in 1971, you say? Remember the lush hub?

Literally lined with trees, benches and planters bursting with flowers...

oct25.png

Mainahman

Can I interest you in a closed Wonders of Life, run down Imagination, and a deserted Sea Base Alpha?
No i got 2002 epcot as my first visit. Which gave me the end of Seabase alpha... ( i miss the hydrolators) and lkets not talk about imagination, the empty dome, and a giant pad where horizons used to be :(

Tanna Eros

Yes, it was wonderful. We didn't feel pressed for time. We stayed a day at the beach, Goofy was waterskiing. The characters would walk up to you and joke around. There was a lot to do. You could meander more and really appreciate the work that went into making the park.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Generally in the 70's MK was a one day see it all, Honeymoon in 77 we spent 2 nights at the Contemporary and spent 2 1/2 days doing MK at a very leisurely pace it was great. Contemporary had nighttime entertainment with stars of the day. You could swim in the lake

I guess it has been talked about before but why could you swim in the lake, or lagoon I guess, in the 1970s and not today? Alligators existed then too with what I would assume was with less resources to keep them out.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
WDW in 1971 would be interesting because it was at its purest point. Everything was new. Would have loved to have experienced 20,000 leagues again as it closed after the 1st time I went. Or just see the Mickey Mouse Revue or ride the Skyway again. I would guess I could fill in a couple days at MK a little more leisurely. It would be funny to see stuff like the open space where Thunder Mountain or Splash would end up. I am guessing it was just dirt or grass at that time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom