How much do you plan?

PhilharMagician

I definately recommend making ADR's for those special restaurants.

I usually go through the park hours and EMH's to plan the park days and make my ADR decisions for dinner each night and 1 or 2 breakfasts. Then when we get there we can eat at the restaurant we planned for or cancel and do something else. See the first time we went to WDW we could not get in anywhere to eat that we wanted and ate mostly counter service. I now rather be overprepared and cancel some reservations rather than spend my vacation eating only hamburgers and chicken.

dreamscometrue

robynchic said:
I feel like I'm planning too much for BF and my trip over this summer. The different restaurants, which means the parks on specific days; trying to work around hiccups (like how Boardwalk doesn't have any studios available), things that we MUST do...
I've never planned so much for a WDW vacation, so I feel like I'm doing too much. I mean, don't get me wrong- I'm not planning that we MUST be up by a specific time, that we MUST be here or there at a specific time, etc. I'm just trying to plan the basic (major) stuff.

So am I planning too much? And how much do you guys usually plan for a WDW trip that's 5 days long?

I am very proactive and usually like to plan everything in my life. The first time we went we had quite an itinerary. Now, however, we plan a timeline to save for the trip, decide where to stay and make a few PS dining arrangements, but that's it. We just go by how we feel that day. I never thought I'd feel this way, but I enjoy it so much more!

During the last trip, for example, we planned on spending one of our last days at MK, but we arrived late (noon) and it was super crowded. We went back to Pop and sat by the pool. Instead of being disappointed, I was happy to be on vacation in the sun at WDW and not at work! Later that afternoon we decided to go to Epcot for a couple of hours, then MK. We saw SpectroMagic, Wishes, then rode Big Thunder and Splash twice each before closing. The day was not even remotely as we had envisioned that morning, but it was awesome. The earliest we plan a day now is the night before.

Vernonpush

PhilharMagician said:
I definately recommend making ADR's for those special restaurants.

I usually go through the park hours and EMH's to plan the park days and make my ADR decisions for dinner each night and 1 or 2 breakfasts. Then when we get there we can eat at the restaurant we planned for or cancel and do something else. See the first time we went to WDW we could not get in anywhere to eat that we wanted and ate mostly counter service. I now rather be overprepared and cancel some reservations rather than spend my vacation eating only hamburgers and chicken.

We do make ADRs now! I have walked too may times between Mexico and Canada trying to find a place to eat. Now we have the lists of "musts" and "never been to/must try" and make ADRs. If we decide not to go to that park that day we can always cancel and make new ressies in the morning.

MouseMadness

shannonpete32 said:
I plan to the max..

I have 3 kids
so if I dont plan I hear all day ,what are we having for dinner , lunch, etc. Or where are we going, what park, how long. It drives me and my husband into insanity. So I plan all meals, parks to coridinate with Extra magic hours. I am goign in Sept and have a plan already. I do leave one day free for the kids drag us from park to park.

Only thing i have not done yet is air fare and that is because I am waiting for the biggest deal.:sohappy:

Me too, for almost the same reason. I've found that with our large groups (smallest we go with is 6, but usually we have 12 :eek: ) you can't just call up somewhere and get in right away. However, Robyn, in your situation, I'd play it by ear. I don't think tables for two are quite as hard to come by! It would be much more fun to just go where you feel like at the moment, I think.

poohbear6103

I also love to plan and agree with GrowingUpDisney that it's part of the anticipation and the fun for me. We are going May 16th-21st so about 2 weeks ago I booked the hotel and got the airline tickets. I normally plan way longer in advance but this was a more spur of the moment trip. Then I plan what park we will visit on which day and accordingly what meals we will have on those days. Last night I made the "advanced reservations" for the times I think we will like to eat. On the other hand, I do not let this plan dictate my vacation.If I have a meal planned at the Contemporary and we are still at a park having a great time, we keep going and try our best to get in to eat at a later time. It usually works out so the vacation gods must be on our side :)

Pippa

Planning is half the fun!!!

I am currently weighing up the merits of Boma, Japan, France and Liberty Tree Tavern

Obssessing about toiletries to take and clothes I will wear......

Only 235 days to go!!!

Mandyhope

I love to plan! I start as soon as we decide we're going. It helps me to get the best prices and the best experience. I have two kids (4&2) and I want to go places that they will enjoy and know that I won't have a 2 hour wait at a restaurant. I make out a list of must-see attractions and what should definately be skipped. I know most by heart, but my family doesn't. If I make a PS and I change my mind, I can usually cancel without a penalty. I don't plan an order of what attractions I see and when. I do plan what to bring, what parks we will go to and on what days. I plan the meals and I build in time to see the resort and relax. My family appreciates the planning and I'm more than happy to do it!

daverube

robynchic -

Planning is half the fun....but I think it also depends on how long you are staying. I find that the longer the vacation, the less I plan. That being said, the fiancee and I usually discuss hotel and dining and which days to do the parks (based upon extra magic hours and how many dole whips I intend on eating).....

Good luck with your trip this summer!!

And by the way, Go Hokies!! Alumni '95

lawyergirl77

MouseMadness said:
Me too, for almost the same reason. I've found that with our large groups (smallest we go with is 6, but usually we have 12 :eek: ) you can't just call up somewhere and get in right away. However, Robyn, in your situation, I'd play it by ear. I don't think tables for two are quite as hard to come by! It would be much more fun to just go where you feel like at the moment, I think.
Actually, tables for 2 are HARDER to get than tables for 4-6 people. They don't have as many seatings for two at most restaurants... I know this because I tried to get Chef Mickey's one day for breakkie and there was no space for two, at 8:00 A.M (only at 7:00) but there was plenty of space for tables for 4 two weeks later when two more people decided to come along.

Just a word to the wise... :wave:

JimboJones123

lawyergirl77 said:
Actually, tables for 2 are HARDER to get than tables for 4-6 people. They don't have as many seatings for two at most restaurants... I know this because I tried to get Chef Mickey's one day for breakkie and there was no space for two, at 8:00 A.M (only at 7:00) but there was plenty of space for tables for 4 two weeks later when two more people decided to come along.

Just a word to the wise... :wave:

so you would recomend calling back and booking for four, but then 2 just "happened" to not show up?

Kadee

I LOVE the planning part! Like others who posted that they plan, I base my ressies on park hours and EMH's. I don't plan specific attractions, just the food for a couple of special restaurants. EMH's are the deciding factor.

Heatherbell

I am pretty psycho myself. From the second that I book a trip I plan. I plan everything. I look for park hours, decide what park to go to on which day and then I do all my dinner reservattions. I am very type A so if one thing doesn't work out it reeeaaallllyyy bugs me, LOL.

In fact, I am attempting to plan a trip in September and it in't final yet and it is reeeaaalllyy bother ing me that I can't make my ADRs yet.....
I am a little compulsive when it comes to planning. But to me planning is my favorite part!!

robynchic

Original Poster
Okay, I know that they give a number of days in advance that someone can make reservations...but how many months is that? Like, for my time frame (July 7-11), when is the earliest I can make reservations for non-character dining restaurants?

Computer Magic

Planning ahead depends on the time of year and situation. For example, we just booked in Sept during the free dinner plan. AR is the only way to go, since every resort guest will most likely have this plan (like last year), table service, character dinner and signature dinner will fill up quickly.

Now I agree the more you go the less planning you need. Before WDWMAGIC came into my life, I planned every detail. Even right down to the rides I didn't want to miss. I now consider myself a season veteran....family calls in something else...but I digress

My planning is limited to AR and which park I want to visit on any given day. So I keep tabs on the park hours and eat near the park I'm at. I keep in very flexabily but organized.

and table for 2 can be hard to find.

Computer Magic

robynchic said:
Okay, I know that they give a number of days in advance that someone can make reservations...but how many months is that? Like, for my time frame (July 7-11), when is the earliest I can make reservations for non-character dining restaurants?
new rules are now 180 days. I just booked all my AR for Sept...Artist Point, GF Cafe, Yachman's, and LeCellier

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom