How many Points to buy

gmajew

Premium Member
Original Poster
I am planning on buying my first dvc contract this week, my question is how many points should I buy?

I have a family of 4 two boys ages ten and 6. We go to disney every year and stay at the grand Floridian over spring break.

Do not spend much time in rooms so size is not an issue. Looking for it more when it is just me and the wife going in a couple of years.

I want the VGF as my home resort so buying direct from disney. I do not want to over do it with this buy since I am sure in 5 years their will be plenty of points on resale.

BCVTalsJam

Well go on the points chart and calculate how much it will be for a week at the VGF and since your going once a year you could start with that. But again it's what's best for you. You can make any amount of points work just depends on how many you want to start with or if you are cool with borrowing some points.

gmajew

Premium Member
Original Poster
Is it better to buy more points now so you have room to grow into them or wait and buy them at that time?

Disneykidder

I agree with the above. Decide when you will probably be going and which resort you prefer. Then check the points calculator to determine how many you will need to purchase. We purchased at BLT because my hubby really wants to be in that resort and we like the monorail line. We were given a choice of BLT, Aulani or AKL. We are staying at BLT MK view and AKV Savanna view this summer.

Sumrdog

If it were me working in those parameters I would get the minimum number of points needed to stay in a one bedroom every year. Having a full kitchen is really one of my favorite things about my DVC membership. I don't mind cooking on vacation and I love going back to the room for a little afternoon nap and swim and then having a nice quiet family dinner before we head back out into the crowds.

Anyway it really depends on what you can comfortably afford. The nice thing about having a few extra points is you can always rent them out. We only have 120 points, enough for a nice 10 day vakay every third year. If I won the lottery next week I would buy another 350 at the BCV. But until then I will make do and am really happy with what I have, I use them all and none go to waste.

I think your smart to buy into your favorite resort. You should be able to make a pretty informed decision based on the points chart. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom