How many people you think move to FL to be near disney?

Epicpilot

I'
I love the places you can go and eat, you just don't get the quality, portions (OMG the portions) and variety of the restaurants in England like you do in America.
QUALITY!?!?!?!?!??!! MCDONALD'S AND SUBWAY AND WENDY'S IS QUALITY?!?!?!!!!!?!?!? Jk, sadly not all restaurants are quality though I have never crossed the pond so I don't know what restaurants are like by you. Though as for portions, yes here they are huge, though you will find out overtime that its a blessing and a curse...

rob0519

I lived in a real touristy part of Orlando, so I'm sure there's more that I don't know. But the only not so friendly part of Orlando that I've seen is downtown Orlando, and I'd never live there.

I'd wanna live in either Celebration or Windemere

Well, unless you have at least a mid level management job at Disney or are independently weathly, you won't be living in either place. The park jobs may look like fun, but they don't pay enough to live in places like that

Kitchandro

QUALITY!?!?!?!?!??!! MCDONALD'S AND SUBWAY AND WENDY'S IS QUALITY?!?!?!!!!!?!?!? Jk, sadly not all restaurants are quality though I have never crossed the pond so I don't know what restaurants are like by you. Though as for portions, yes here they are huge, though you will find out overtime that its a blessing and a curse...

No I mean like the restaurants on International Drive (?) (and yes I include IHOP in that!). We've got Fast Food that's not what I'm on about. I mean places like Red Lobster, Chillis, Hoolahans, etc. Much better than any place I've been to in England, we have some similar places but they're not as impressive. A bit like the theme parks.

The service is great, everything is really flavourful, there's a lot of choice and different kind of things; over here you seem to just get the same stuff everywhere, in a way.

I watch Man v Food now and again, I can't imagine places like some of those in England. America just does the dining experience better IMO. They just seem to go the extra mile. We do do chips (fries) better though. And we realise Budweiser is rubbish ;)

As for the portions, fair point haha :D

acishere

I don't think I could move to the Disney area simply because then it would no longer be an escape from daily life. When I need to move next year though I need to get closer to NYC. As much as I like living by the shore, its just too much of a commute and if I ever want to be promoted they are going to want me in NYC daily.

If I wanted to move for weather though, I'd go with California. Less humidity.

Disneykidder

My nephew goes to college in Orlando and loves it. He is moving into a house off campus next month...nice house in a decent area for low rent. He said the area is fine.

We are contemplating moving to Florida but may move closer to the Southern part.

ToyStoryMiss

Our winters are awful, snow in april and October. If we get 2 nice months a year during summer, it's a good year.

And lately it's been raining like crazy!

About 3 weeks ago, no joke, it rained for about 10 days straight. It was miserable!

And hurricanes have been kicking up here too. In 2011 we had Irene, 2012 obviously we had Sandy.
I feel ya, Stevie. This weather here has been nuts! Yesterday, we were driving home from my grandparents, and it was like driving through a hurricane!
This weather has got to go. :mad:

bubbles1812

how lucky are you!?!? I'm in wood-ridge, i'm working my behind off trying to convince my fiancée to just try it for a year, but to call her family oriented is putting it lightly. Me on the other hand, my father lives in CO, and I don't speak to my mother. So it wouldn't be a big deal for me
Persuading/cajoling a very family oriented person away from her family... Yeah, that doesn't strike me as a good set up for a lot of resentment at all. Sorry, but this seems like a poor idea. It may not be a big deal to you but having to "work your behind off" to even get her to consider it would highly, HIGHLY suggest she does not want to do it. Love of the Mouse should never trump love of the Spouse.

I would never just move to Orlando for Disney or the weather either. By that logic, there are plenty of places in the south with good weather (and better job markets). Maybe if I were at retiring age, it might be a fun thing to do, but not when you are just starting out life, especially when starting married life.

Californian Elitist

Willing to change one's life to increase a high/escape is not something to consider lightly. If Walt Disney World is a literal escape, and one wants to increase that time escaping, I think it seriously needs to be asked, "What are you running from?"

Persuading/cajoling a very family oriented person away from her family... Yeah, that doesn't strike me as a good set up for a lot of resentment at all. Sorry, but this seems like a poor idea. It may not be a big deal to you but having to "work your behind off" to even get her to consider it would highly, HIGHLY suggest she does not want to do it. Love of the Mouse should never trump love of the Spouse.

I would never just move to Orlando for Disney or the weather either. By that logic, there are plenty of places in the south with good weather (and better job markets). Maybe if I were at retiring age, it might be a fun thing to do, but not when you are just starting out life, especially when starting married life.

Amen.

StarWarsGirl

I would never just move to Orlando for Disney or the weather either. By that logic, there are plenty of places in the south with good weather (and better job markets).

The weather is part of the reason why I want to make it down there. I have really bad asthma that is made worse by cold temperatures, and out of all the climates I've looked at, Florida seems to have the best one for me that's not too far away from my family (I have family in MD, PA, and SC). I can't handle the bad winters, my allergies are better in Florida, and the summers are longer but about the same as back home. The reason I chose Florida was because 1.) There's enough to do, being from Baltimore I like to have events going on around me (partially the reason why I decided against Charleston, SC) 2.) I'm applying for the CP. If I get in there, from what I've heard talking to managers and other CMs, it's a guaranteed job pretty much after college 3) My family has friends down there in Tampa and Coco Beach. However, just because I might be able to get it to work for me does not mean that it can work for everyone. Those who plan on going down there need to have a plan and a job set up beforehand.

emcclay

No I mean like the restaurants on International Drive (?) (and yes I include IHOP in that!). We've got Fast Food that's not what I'm on about. I mean places like Red Lobster, Chillis, Hoolahans, etc. Much better than any place I've been to in England, we have some similar places but they're not as impressive. A bit like the theme parks.

The service is great, everything is really flavourful, there's a lot of choice and different kind of things; over here you seem to just get the same stuff everywhere, in a way.

I watch Man v Food now and again, I can't imagine places like some of those in England. America just does the dining experience better IMO. They just seem to go the extra mile. We do do chips (fries) better though. And we realise Budweiser is rubbish ;)

As for the portions, fair point haha :D

Trust me on this. Venture outside the touristy areas and you will find restaurants that put chains to shame.

Kitchandro

Trust me on this. Venture outside the touristy areas and you will find restaurants that put chains to shame.

I'm not saying every single one is great, I'm saying the better ones are better than over here. we have shockingly bad places over here too.

DisneyJunkie

Personally, I can see some good and some bad in the idea (mainly good, though). I still daydream about the opportunity to move to Florida to be within a 30 minute drive of Disney. The thought of living so close that I could just up and hit any park at any time I wanted to and then head home (and maybe do it again the next day or week or whatever) is VERY appealing to me. In fact one of my little online hobbies is checking out realty sites to see what's available in case the day should ever come when my daydream could conceivably become a reality for me.

On the other hand, part of what I truly love about each and every Disney trip is the buildup of anticipation for it......which I wouldn't be able to experience again if I lived close enough to go whenever I wanted. I like to get my vacation packages booked, like to countdown the days, and really enjoy waiting by the mailbox for my Disney package to arrive. I don't get to do much air travel, so if I book a trip that includes plane tickets and so forth....that just adds to my anticipation because I've always enjoyed flying. I also think the great rush that I feel when I first set foot in my resort or that first park at the beginning of a trip would be missed by living in such close proximity to WDW. Then you also get the heavy traffic in that area that comes with such huge influxes of tourists and visitors to the area.

So really it would be quite a decision to make: does the good that comes with being able to go whenever you want overcome those negatives? Or vice versa? I'd probably still make the decision to move closer, to be honest with myself, but I'd also probably do my best to space out my visits there so I don't get burnt out or it just becomes routine to me

topgun6566

but I'd also probably do my best to space out my visits there so I don't get burnt out or it just becomes routine to me

Yeah, I said that too. Had a plan to visit one park once a month, so each park 3 times a year. That never worked. It is so nice to know if something you read on here has changed at the park, I can get in my car and be there in an hour to see it for myself. However, you do get to the point of burnout. You can't just go to the Magic Kingdom every time. That gets old. I'm getting into more of ADR's and visiting the resorts I've never been to. Housing down here is so cheap it is unbelievable. I'm an hour from the park. Not bad at all.

cyanaye

Our winters are awful, snow in april and October. If we get 2 nice months a year during summer, it's a good year.

And lately it's been raining like crazy!

About 3 weeks ago, no joke, it rained for about 10 days straight. It was miserable!

And hurricanes have been kicking up here too. In 2011 we had Irene, 2012 obviously we had Sandy.

luckily the snow wasn't too bad here the past winter! but dang that two weeks of rain was terrible! the one week of july 4th, i was in WDW and it was even raining! what about that nasty heat last week?!

rob45

We love WDW but don't feel inclined to move closer to it. We have the heat and humidity here in coastal MS, and WDW in the summer is not for us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom