How many of you are dreading your WDW trip?

erasure fan1

Now that I've said that is there any others that seem to be dreading an upcoming WDW trip?
Nope. 4 days at the Yacht and beach club DVC, Dinner at Ohanas, breakfast at Cape May and a visit to Sea world and a lot of time at an awesome pool. Not dreading it at all. Now if I was actually going to one of the Disney parks and had to deal with the nonsense that is MM+, it could have been different. I figured I would skip the frustration this year because there just isn't enough new to justify all the price increases.

love disney

Just for information, you do not have to use a smart phone. I don't even own one and had no problems. I is, I believe from what I have heard a convenience nothing more. You want to switch FP's, go back to the kiosk and see if the one you want is available. Can't remember what your times are, use your photo function on your phone and take a picture of the screen and you have all your FP's listed OR use the FP worksheet and simply write down the times next to the attraction name.

It's new and people are confused about how it works. That is a normal human reaction. However, it turns out to be simple. The massive BS about how much time it takes to scan your card over Mickeys face at FP queues, doesn't make sense unless there is a problem. I hardly even missed my stride. I walked up, placed the card against the reader and instantly it turned green and I walked to the next one, same thing again. Tell me how doing that takes longer then handing a paper ticket to a CM, having them read it and give it back, sending you on up the line only to show it again to a CM that has to read it while you wait. It just doesn't make any sense to think that this process holds you up.

I know I don't have to use my smart phone, but for all intents and purposes that is exactly what WDW wants and expects you to do. From preplanning your FP+'s in advance (again, I know you don't have to, but that is the hope WDW has with the new system and I abhor the idea of having a regimented schedule while on vacation) to limiting you to 3 FP+'s at a single park in per day, this system in my opinion is a huge step backwards to the old system. And yes, I know I don't have to use it at all, but why change something that worked fine in the first place? As for the "massive BS about how much time it takes..." I have used the new system, both when legacy passes were still available and when they weren't, and in my experience it did indeed take longer than the legacy passes. Hopefully this, and many other aspects of the FP+ system will change and evolve over time and get better, but I still prefer the old system and think it was a waste of money to design the new one. In my opinion I think if they wanted a new way to keep track of people and get them to spend more money at the parks they should have stopped at the bands being used for keys, park entry, to get paper fastpasses, and to enable visitors to link their credit cards to their bands and spend money that way.

Goofyernmost

I know I don't have to use my smart phone, but for all intents and purposes that is exactly what WDW wants and expects you to do. From preplanning your FP+'s in advance (again, I know you don't have to, but that is the hope WDW has with the new system and I abhor the idea of having a regimented schedule while on vacation) to limiting you to 3 FP+'s at a single park in per day, this system in my opinion is a huge step backwards to the old system. And yes, I know I don't have to use it at all, but why change something that worked fine in the first place? As for the "massive BS about how much time it takes..." I have used the new system, both when legacy passes were still available and when they weren't, and in my experience it did indeed take longer than the legacy passes. Hopefully this, and many other aspects of the FP+ system will change and evolve over time and get better, but I still prefer the old system and think it was a waste of money to design the new one. In my opinion I think if they wanted a new way to keep track of people and get them to spend more money at the parks they should have stopped at the bands being used for keys, park entry, to get paper fastpasses, and to enable visitors to link their credit cards to their bands and spend money that way.
The problem was that it worked well for you and others, but, not for everybody. This puts everyone on a level playing field. It gives the onsite guest a bit of an edge, but, they sure do pay for that edge, so that doesn't bother me as long as I am not excluded completely.

As far as the workings of the "hold up at FP", from my experience it didn't work that way at all, it was fast, smooth and didn't even require anymore then a slight pause to scan, so I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on that.

bethymouse

I would never "dread" a WDW vacation no matter what!
Remember: This is a TEST , and only a TEST. After this summer, perhaps the "bugs" will be worked out of the system. Be patient. Have fun!;)

Graham9

I never dread a visit to WDW, but I dread to think about the amount of money I'll go through.

Saying that, I dread to think what will happen to WDW when this stupid Fastpass+ system of theirs collapses.

JillC LI

Just for information, you do not have to use a smart phone. I don't even own one and had no problems. I is, I believe from what I have heard a convenience nothing more. You want to switch FP's, go back to the kiosk and see if the one you want is available. .

I'm not one of the naysayers, but I would like to point out that there have been reports of waits of up to 20 minutes at the kiosks to change FPs during busy times. I personally don't own nor want a smartphone, but I know I will be annoyed not to have one when we go to WDW next. Not worrying about it right now though because our next trip is to DisneyLAND!

Goofyernmost

I'm not one of the naysayers, but I would like to point out that there have been reports of waits of up to 20 minutes at the kiosks to change FPs during busy times. I personally don't own nor want a smartphone, but I know I will be annoyed not to have one when we go to WDW next. Not worrying about it right now though because our next trip is to DisneyLAND!
There will be a glitch now and then, that's inherent with any system. Did they check the other FP kiosks in other parts of the park or were they all a 20 minute wait? I don't have a smart phone either and found no hassle at all, but, I had no need to change any of them.

For the life of me, after one has chosen, why do they even need to change it. You couldn't do that with the old FP system unless you could find the individuals with a FP for the one you wanted and they wanted yours.

JillC LI

For the life of me, after one has chosen, why do they even need to change it. You couldn't do that with the old FP system unless you could find the individuals with a FP for the one you wanted and they wanted yours.

One reason that immediately jumps to mind is if there was a very short standby wait when you got to an attraction, you might not want to waste your limited # of FPs on it, so you change your FP to something else before getting on the standby line. The prior system did not limit you to only 3 FPs. Again, I'm not a naysayer for FP+ and I have not experienced it myself. I'm just pointing out what could be (depending on crowd levels) an extra inconvenience for people who do not own a smartphone, like me.

Disneyhead'71

One of the by products of the FP+ system is that now most on-site guests don't rush the gates for rope drop. So now before 11am there are a lot less people in the parks than there were before. So if you ARE there for rope drop, you can hit stand by for most of the headliners before the masses arrive. Combine that with DVCers and APs doing surgical strikes and then leaving resulting in a fair portion of Disney's guests actually spending LESS time in the parks.

I am not sure that this system is working out like the Disney Brain Trust thought. I don't believe that they intended on implementing a system that encourages people to spend less time in the parks.

Goofyernmost

One of the by products of the FP+ system is that now most on-site guests don't rush the gates for rope drop. So now before 11am there are a lot less people in the parks than there were before. So if you ARE there for rope drop, you can hit stand by for most of the headliners before the masses arrive. Combine that with DVCers and APs doing surgical strikes and then leaving resulting in a fair portion of Disney's guests actually spending LESS time in the parks.

I am not sure that this system is working out like the Disney Brain Trust thought. I don't believe that they intended on implementing a system that encourages people to spend less time in the parks.
I'm not sure that makes that much difference. It's more about the quality of time in the parks. Running back and forth for FP's is not conducive to a lot of spent cash. Now, I have 45 minutes to kill before my next FP so I might just as well see what's in the shop over there, or perhaps get a snack and sit for a minute. Not a nickel is made waiting for Rope Drop or Cris Crossing the park for FP's. With all of them in hand, you now know how to plan positioning so that you are in the area to retrieve your FP. No doubt, no not knowing what time your next FP will be set at. If people would think about it this way, there might be a lot more support and less gloom and doom. Even for the biggest planners and commando's this is a plus for them. Just give it a chance and I'm sure before long many will have figured out how to get the most out of their FP's and realize that you don't need one for every attraction even if the standby is moving slow. That's what I did, and had no problem at all.
Target the beginning of your FP window. That gives you over an hour leeway to get to the ride.

Goofyernmost

That is a good reason, yes. :)

Pocahontas

FP+ was super convenient for us, so I'm super excited. I have nearly 2 years to wait, but it'll be here in time.

The only thing I'm dreading is the trip back to the airport on DME.

Goofnut1980

We arrive in 65 days (but who's counting) and we really liked FP+ in December when we were there.

I just need to make sure I have my itinerary set before then.

I actually don't mind construction, means they are maintaining the parks. BUT, I sure hope they have water in the flipping moat by then. Those pictures are going to look stupid with a dry riverbed... lol

Csmith041177

Can't imagine dreading a WDW trip! She just has to stay positive. I overplan...but have no doubt I could show up at a park with no plan, reservations or fast passes and have a great time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom