How many miles/hours do you drive before stopping for the night?

DaddyDisneyMan

Good Morning All,
Hope everyone's day is going well. We are getting closer to our family vaca (39 DAYS!! WOO HOO). We are driving from Detroit and heading down to WDW (1200miles). How far have you all driven before stopping for the night? I will be the only driver. We are leaving at 6am, with hopes of hitting Macon, GA; maybe even further if I feel up to it.

loveformickey

We drive from NE which is about 22-23 hrs. We would usually stop close to the FL border but then one year we only had a about 4 hrs or so left and decided to push on. So now we just drive straight through. We can't wait to get to disney so we just suck it up and drive. There are 2 drivers by the way (myself and my husband).

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

ALL of your suggestions are AWESOME. Thank you all for taking the time to respond. As much as I'm sure my excitement and adrenaline will keep me going to whole way down to Disney, I know my DW and DS's will want to stop somewhere in GA; which is fine, I'm OK with a nice little drive the next morning.
We live 100 miles south of Atlanta, and it takes us around 6 1/2 hours to get to our resort. If you come through Atlanta on 75, it should be a little shorter for you. We drive about 3 hours on back roads before we hit 75.
It's actually a very nice drive through some really pretty farm land. We keep saying we're going to stop at some of the little 'lost in time" towns along the way, but we're always too excited to get to the world.
I can't imagine how tired I'd be if I had to drive as far as you guys do. Have a safe trip.

Upvote 0

meyeet

16hrs for us. Last year was the first time we drove and we drove straight through, switching drivers at GA/FL line. Drive there was great and we had lots of energy. The drive home is what got us. We both kept trading off and both were exhausted. This year we're definitely stopping along the way home.

Upvote 0

SuprDav

We are 10 hours away. I like for us to drive all the way to Orlando and stay off site the night before our reservations and be rested for the first day. I love the road trip part. I think someone would miss alot of sights and memories flying there. One of our traditions is to always stop at the Florida Welcome Center on Hwy. 231 at the Ala/Fla line and get a cup of free orange juice.

Upvote 0

DaddyDisneyMan

Original Poster
We always stop just south of Macon after 13 hours of driving then get up and drive another 4 in the morning but after reading this thread I may have to talk the DH into trying to drive through.
I'm almost on the same page as you. We are stopping in GA as well, but considering driving through (but I'm the only driver, I don't want to push it too far).

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell 8

Its 1011 miles for us (right outside of Philly). We've done the drive about 4 times, and it takes anywhere from 14-17 hours. We only stop twice for gas/potty breaks, I always pack tons of food and snacks to keep us awake. We bring our dog with us too, and she's great in the car, we've never had an issue with her getting sick or anything, she usually just falls asleep on my lap. We usually leave around 2 in the afternoon and get to disney around 5 am, since its before check in, we roll down the windows and take a nap in the car out in the parking lot, we have gotten a few weird stares from people as they are leaving to catch the bus in the morning. Then we hit the park and usually go till close, that first night is by far the best nights sleep.

Upvote 0

PUSH

We have a 21 hour drive. Sometimes we stop at night, sometimes we don't. We've left early in the morning, late in the morning, in the evening, etc. I can't really say how long, but sometimes it's 21 hours.

Upvote 0

papa

We live on Martha's vineyard and we drove several times. We took three days and really enjoyed our time. Usually about 6-7 hours a day with coffee and bathroom breaks..
Time was never a problem so we just enjoyed our time with each other.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

14 hour non-stop drive here.;) Well, just for gas/bathroom. LOL.:D All the way down I-95!:)
Considering flying this year though. It's getting to be an exhausting trip.:(

Upvote 0

Zipadeelady

I'm almost on the same page as you. We are stopping in GA as well, but considering driving through (but I'm the only driver, I don't want to push it too far).

My DH both drive and now we have a 17 year old that may also be able to drive (not to sure about that yet). We are just a little south of Detroit so our distance is about the same. It would be nice to drive through but after 12 hours everyone is going crazy so we always stop around Tipton or Cordelle. There's no way we could do it with only 1 driver. We'll see about driving through though.....I do like the thought of waking up with the whole day rather than getting to the World around 1:00.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom