How is the opening of Galaxy's Edge affecting your plans?

Rista1313

I'm peeved... I booked Sept 16-24 in the hopes we would miss the opening of SW... We got free dining, and we've already bought airline tickets... so I guess we are going to suck it up and go anyway. My husband is actually looking forward to looking at the land... me, could care less, just hate crowds! I've scheduled our HS day for a week day, and the kids should be back in School, so hopefully that will make the chaos a little less.

MacVenture

We decided for 2019 we would do an early trip which we did in Jan. We are not planning to head back to WDW until maybe late 2020 or early 2021. Just judging by the Flight of Passage wait times, SWGE will NOT be for the faint of heart.

KrazyKat

I was, like most people, expecting it to open sometime in November/December. I'll be down in Kissimmee for my Dad's 80th birthday in November so I was hoping to possibly be one of the first to see it if it opened then. I am going alone without the family (we're all actually going down next month), so I'm thinking it will be a lot easier to deal with massive crowds alone and not worry about our 10 year olds getting pushed or shoved which I will have none of that. I'm at least hoping ROTR will be open by then.

Cannot wait!!!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I'm peeved... I booked Sept 16-24 in the hopes we would miss the opening of SW... We got free dining, and we've already bought airline tickets... so I guess we are going to suck it up and go anyway. My husband is actually looking forward to looking at the land... me, could care less, just hate crowds! I've scheduled our HS day for a week day, and the kids should be back in School, so hopefully that will make the chaos a little less.
Here's your T-shirt...

Raineman

For everyone that is thinking about changing their plans because of the SW:GE opening: why do you think that the crowds at DHS will cause the other parks to be so much busier than normal? Will there be some spillover? Sure, but I don't think it's going to be as dramatic as some think it is. When the other three parks have a total capacity of probably somewhere around 200,000, I don't think we're going to get Christmas/New Years type crowds at all three parks from people that can't/won't go to DHS.

Yaya

For everyone that is thinking about changing their plans because of the SW:GE opening: why do you think that the crowds at DHS will cause the other parks to be so much busier than normal? Will there be some spillover? Sure, but I don't think it's going to be as dramatic as some think it is. When the other three parks have a total capacity of probably somewhere around 200,000, I don't think we're going to get Christmas/New Years type crowds at all three parks from people that can't/won't go to DHS.

We're stuck in our dates Sept 8-16 so we'll be there. If Disney refrains from cutting staff and attraction capacity like it usually does in September, it will be fine. But even a small influx of people will cause excessive wait times if they don't extend staffing and ride capacity through September.

So, funny story. I booked a Disneyland trip with my Mom and Aunt and a WDW trip with my Mom, kids and nieces. Disneyland trip 3-6 June, WDW trip 3-10 September. September to avoid crowds....Bwahahahaha. I am hoping that the majority of folks will wait for the entire land to open and that school will deter others in September. We will at least view Batuu, but if the ride lines are too obnoxious we can wait for smugglers run. (or so I say...will probably get close to the Millennium Falcon and lose my, um, mind).

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
I was born in 1977, and I have seen every movie in the theater (most more than once, and some as many as 5 times) (obviously, not ANH on first release, but I have subsequently). I own every movie in the series, other than Solo, and I have 5 different versions of the OT. When I was a kid, my parents would buy me a toy if I was good when we had to go to the mall shopping. Every time I "earned that," I got a new toy. (don't @ me - my parents are and were great, and I was lucky AF to have them, and I know that now).

I have Star Wars gear throughout my daughter's towels and clothing (and she has lightsabers). When TFA came out, I dressed her in Star Wars outfits the ENTIRE week leading up to the opening and sat with her watching the OT leading up to going to see it in theaters the day of release (she was just under a year old at the time).

I was on a flight when the date was announced. So...

I emailed my friend/travel agent and booked a room at CBR for August 28-30 so I could experience opening day in all of its hellish glory as well as the new death trap transportation option (kidding!).

I have kicked myself for missing out on experiences like my beloved Longhorns' last national championship. And I have the greatest wife in the galaxy. So I'm taking a "Solo" trip (I mean, my wife and daughter aren't going, but I'm going with my travel agent, her husband, and a few of her agents) to the opening.

And I am unequivocally, unabashedly, and unapologetically PUMPED about it! I only wish my little one was a few years older, so she'd understand standing in line for 6 hour wearing a diaper for the chance to fly the Millennium Falcon. But it's ok. There will be plenty of time to take her when she's older. For now, Daddy is gonna get his Star Wars ON!

Attachments

• 20150814_180915.jpg
    20150814_180915.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 20151215_064429.jpg
    20151215_064429.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 20151216_072808.jpg
    20151216_072808.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 20151217_065300.jpg
    20151217_065300.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 132

Brittany--

We were booked for the first week on September and we bumped it up to the first week in August. We have no interest in Star Wars so we figured we’d give up our room so that someone who really wanted to be there could lol

OG Runner

The announcement only made my plans a bit more exciting. I go to run the Disney Marathon in January,
so it is great to know Galaxy's Edge will be open. It would be really cool if the course somehow takes it
into account. We run through Disney Studios around mile 22-23.

sortiz88

We booked our DVC at exactly 7 months for what we thought would be a quiet, relaxing trip. We normally go in mid to late September, but I've read that late August can be pretty empty and we we're crossing our fingers Illuminations is still going on. We fly in ... August 29th. :eek: At least we're at Boardwalk so we can walk to HS to brave the crowds and not fight the bus lines, and it'll be kinda cool to look back and say we were there for the opening!

Fast Eddie

I have a reservation for Oct. 6 thru Oct. 11, 2019. I was hoping that Star Wars Land would open in Nov. or Dec. So much for my planning. Now, I have to decide if I want to be anywhere near there during that time. Family wants to stick with current plans, I don't. I have DVC points that will expire Nov. 30 so I'm really stuck. Airfare jumped up after those dates also.

JohnD

That's why I decided patience is a virtue. Sure, I could have patience standing in line but I wouldn't be doing anything else while at WDW in the fall. So, I'll patiently wait until next year when, hopefully, crowds will be down somewhat. I have no illusions that it won't be busy but hoping less than initial crowds.

LaughingGravy

We have a trip to DL coming up a week before the official opening, so we are wondering about a soft opening.
On one hand, it would be cool, on the other, we planned this trip for DL, not Star Wars Land.
We are hoping beyond hope that some people put off their visit until SW:GE opening or after.
Star Wars and Disney to me is just a money grab. The connection will never be there in my mind.

WDWFan2018

Original Poster
We have a trip to DL coming up a week before the official opening, so we are wondering about a soft opening.
On one hand, it would be cool, on the other, we planned this trip for DL, not Star Wars Land.
We are hoping beyond hope that some people put off their visit until SW:GE opening or after.

I haven't heard anything about a soft opening but I feel like there are no longer good times to go to avoid SWGE crowds. You would think that is would be a quiet week since it's the week before but I've heard a lot of people are changing their trips to avoid the crowds and many are choosing the week before the opening thinking there will be less crowds. This could backfire.

TongaToast21

I haven't heard anything about a soft opening but I feel like there are no longer good times to go to avoid SWGE crowds. You would think that is would be a quiet week since it's the week before but I've heard a lot of people are changing their trips to avoid the crowds and many are choosing the week before the opening thinking there will be less crowds. This could backfire.
I agree 100% that the people panicking and moving their trips may just be creating their own crowd nightmare of similar minded planners-- but truthfully, even if crowds are very heavy- when you are actually in WDW enjoying the "magic" and happiness associated with the parks, are you going to let that ruin your time there? Maybe I'm alone here, but normally things that would irritate me (rude guests, slow walkers/people stopping in the middle of the walkways, heat, long waits in said heat) I don't think twice about because A) it comes with the territory of being in a very popular vacation destination, B) you're in disney world. it really is the happiest place in the world (if you let it be).... So what if there are big crowds? You're still in the same place where most of us here count down the months til we get to go again. Bottom line-- it is going to be what you make of it.

LaughingGravy

We planned this long before SW:GE had a date and the dates are not movable for various reasons.
Oh, we know weekends in May in California are crowded, but that's when we could go.

LUVofDIS

I agree 100% that the people panicking and moving their trips may just be creating their own crowd nightmare of similar minded planners-- but truthfully, even if crowds are very heavy- when you are actually in WDW enjoying the "magic" and happiness associated with the parks, are you going to let that ruin your time there? Maybe I'm alone here, but normally things that would irritate me (rude guests, slow walkers/people stopping in the middle of the walkways, heat, long waits in said heat) I don't think twice about because A) it comes with the territory of being in a very popular vacation destination, B) you're in disney world. it really is the happiest place in the world (if you let it be).... So what if there are big crowds? You're still in the same place where most of us here count down the months til we get to go again. Bottom line-- it is going to be what you make of it.

I get what you are saying, my wife and I go enough that we just enjoy being there. We still will not wait much longer than 30 minutes or so for a ride, and so far, we always ride what we have to ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom