How is the opening of Galaxy's Edge affecting your plans?

Worldlover71

Was thinking about going the first week in October. Now I'm thinking that's not the best time. There will be huge crowds AND it won't even be finished. Kind of the worst of both worlds! I have a vacation window in July but it will be just as crowded and even hotter so that's no better.

DisneyMama830

In the Parks
No
We booked our trip this past Sunday for August 27th-September 1st. We always go during this week because 1.) it’s relatively quiet 2.) it’s our anniversary week, and 3.) we kind of wanted to avoid the opening of SW:GE this year. We figured we were safe. Now I’m not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I’m excited to see it. On the other hand, I’m wondering if we shouldn’t bump our trip back a week.

Disstevefan1

Yes, I also heard that those would also be ending at the end of summer but I was hoping they would be replaced with something else. I was going to forego the Christmas Party to do the Frozen Dessert Party instead. Disney is just crapping on all of my plans haha.

From what I heard, there will be some sort of interim show to replace Reflections so they do not lose the income from the dessert party.

WDWFan2018

Original Poster
September 2-7 as well. Picked that week because of the low numbers. It'll be interesting to see the dramatic shift in crowd level estimates now. @lentesta

I wonder if Touring Plans can even begin to predict the levels. I should have known something was up when I noticed the crowd level increased last week on Touring Plans haha.

JohnD

I decided to do a spring trip in several weeks then hold off until 2020. Looks like I made the right decision. Perhaps after Phase II of SW:GE opens, I'll reevaluate but not until then.

WDWFan2018

Original Poster
Was thinking about going the first week in October. Now I'm thinking that's not the best time. There will be huge crowds AND it won't even be finished. Kind of the worst of both worlds! I have a vacation window in July but it will be just as crowded and even hotter so that's no better.

That's another concern I have. Everyone will want to book for August before the opening, so I'm assuming that will also be a busy time. I feel there in no winning :( I might just have to adjust my expectations and assume we're not going to be able to do everything we had hoped and just enjoy not being at work lol.

MichiganDisneyDad4

For the people that are booked and can not change their plans...on the bright side, wouldn't the 3 other parks be wide open for you to explore? I for one, if was going during that time, would just skip HS and enjoy the rest.....no?

Da Bird is Da Word

Maybe park hours will be longer than they would usually be the first week of September because of GE opening and the crowds it will bring. That’s at least somewhat of a positive, even if it only means counteracting (and probably not very effectively) the increased number of visitors. One thing’s for sure, is that there will be updates to the park schedule. Wonder how much after hours tickets for Hollywood Studios will run for and whether it will even be worth it.

iMax

The land is opening on the day of my 21st birthday, and I plan on applying to open the land so it kinda blew up all my plans for that weekend.

Da Bird is Da Word

For the people that are booked and can not change their plans...on the bright side, wouldn't the 3 other parks be wide open for you to explore? I for one, if was going during that time, would just skip HS and enjoy the rest.....no?

GE opening will probably be a rising tide that lifts all boats. There’s not going to be LESS people in Walt Disney World because of this. Other parks will likely be more crowded than they originally were going to be before this announcement. I’m going the first week of September and will definitely be going to Hollywood Studios. Gonna be there seven nights—May as well use one of those to enjoy the one and only obvious pro of going during Star Wars opening...which is to actually SEE Star Wars land. It’s gonna be wild 😅

eliza61nyc

My trip is so unrefundable it's crazy. 😅 But we'll be there with a little one in tow for the first time. If anything, it will be cool just to see the land...if at all possible. I don't know if I should cry or be excited.

So this is one of those incidents where at least you are pre warned. If you're staying onsite, this maybe the day when you want to chill at the hotel pool. get your fp for the other parks.
I would say get to t he park at rope drop but I assure you 10,000 others also have that plan. people will go just to say they were there.

belledream

So this is one of those incidents where at least you are pre warned. If you're staying onsite, this maybe the day when you want to chill at the hotel pool. get your fp for the other parks.
I would say get to t he park at rope drop but I assure you 10,000 others also have that plan. people will go just to say they were there.
We were planning on going to HS after a “big” MK day so like, rollin’ in casually by lunch to look around Toy Story Land and leave by dinner.

Oh dear me.

Minthorne

I have DVC trip booked 12/13 - 21 for what I thought might be the opening. I'm keeping that trip. However I have friends staying at BLT 9/24-30 and when they announce SW:GE opening they invited me to crash on their couch for the weekend. SO I will go down 9/27-30 and wade though the trash compactor of people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom