How is mid February?

draybook

Ok folks, time to give good ol' Dray some helpful advice. We're thinking about taking an impromptu trip next month. We have the free airfare vouchers from the mishap on our last trip, so that's covered. We have APs to WDW and Universal, so park entries are covered. All we have to cover is the rental car and food and hotel.

My question is this, how is mid February crowd and weather wise? I'm assuming that I'll be good in a pair of jeans or shorts and a polo shirt? And I'm also assuming that crowds should be low due to school being in and it not being Spring Break yet. So, how does our plan sound?

Disneydreamer23

I was there feb of 2013, it was on Valentine's Day, crowds were not bad at all very comparable to September , I was there for 8 days, wore a coat and gloves day 1 and shorts the rest.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
We were there last year February 13-18 (Presidents Day weekend) and the parks were PACKED. The 3rd week of February (Presidents Day being on Monday) is a popular winter break week for many school systems. Also, Disney ups the resort prices (to peak from value) right before Valentine's Day.

The earlier you can go the better, based on crowds and cost. The weather was beautiful (sunny and mild in the 60s) but can differ wildly from year to year.

Upvote 0

journ116

The weeks of the 9th and 16th are open, which would you guys suggest?
As you get closer to President's Day (2/16), and the days following, crowd levels pick up dramatically.

We ventured a trip down Feb. 7-15, 2014 and found pleasant weather (light jackets every morning & night) & low crowds near the beginning of our trip…it was a different story as that Thursday, Friday, and Saturday rolled around. We saw a progressive influx of visitors, so we made sure to arrive at each park before opening, get our touring done early, then head back to our resort and actually enjoy its amenities!

According to numerous Crowd Calendars, I'd go with the week of Feb. 9th, because the following week sees consistently higher crowd levels.

BTW, aren't impromptu WDW trips the best?!

Upvote 0

draybook

Original Poster
So far it's looking like we'll fly in on the 9th and depart on the 14th. The difference in price between flying out on Sunday as opposed to Monday was insane. A Sunday flight would have made the total price almost 600 bucks more.

Now to price check the discounted on site resorts with off site places and check for rental car deals. Thanks for the heads up, folks!

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

We were there last year February 13-18 (Presidents Day weekend) and the parks were PACKED. The 3rd week of February (Presidents Day being on Monday) is a popular winter break week for many school systems. Also, Disney ups the resort prices (to peak from value) right before Valentine's Day.

The earlier you can go the better, based on crowds and cost. The weather was beautiful (sunny and mild in the 60s) but can differ wildly from year to year.
Not only was that President's Day weekend, but that was the weekend of the big ice storm in the southeast. We knew the kids were going to be out of school due to ice/snow one year, and we took an impromptu trip to WDW. Most southeastern schools don't have more than Monday or Tuesday of President's Day weekend, so those extra few days before make it easy to evacuate the ice/snow that is not common to us.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Mardi Gras is mid February this year the week of the 16th, Presidents' Day week also, so that week will be really busy due to most schools in Louisiana and other parts of the south being out. My brother and his family go this week when Mardi Gras falls every year and other friends of ours go and it can be extremely busy in on some days of that week. :)

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

The earlier you go the better. If you run into President's week, you have many Northern schools on winter break. It is Christmas crowded then. Also, depending on Mardi Gras, you have those crowds as well.

Upvote 0

draybook

Original Poster
The earlier you go the better. If you run into President's week, you have many Northern schools on winter break. It is Christmas crowded then. Also, depending on Mardi Gras, you have those crowds as well.

Yeah, after seeing the photos from Christmas that would be the death of me.

Upvote 0

PHS79

We were at WDW Feb 9-16 2013, crowds were pretty low but picked up towards the end of our trip. This year we are going Feb 19-28, we have to go based on my DWs work schedule, I would rather have gone earlier in the month but we couldn't so we just have to make due.

I am hoping for our trip that since Presidents day is Feb 16th and with Mardi Gras ending on Fat Tuesday Feb 17th, that those crowds will be close to gone by the time we get there. But then the 1/2 marathon weekend is Feb 19-22, our first few days at WDW, so I am really hoping that by mid-late trip we will see lower crowd levels.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

Confirming that whole "mid-winter break" bit. Many Northern schools get the entire week including Presidents Day, some just a long weekend but take kids out a day before/after to work in a week vacation. We're still lucky enough to get the entire week. Yep, we've been to Disney in February. :D You definitely picked the better week. We've always had wonderful weather-sweatshirt for the evening hours but still shorts and swimming during the day.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom