How far down do the Utilidors go?

pipenut

Original Poster
The other day we had some friends over and were enjoying a spirited (sorry, not you marni!) discussion about WDW and a bunch of "did you know" rumours.

Our friend told us that "in fact, the Utilidor's at MK actually go down a total of SIX levels when most think it's just the one underground floor."

Now, we've been on the KTTK tour and have walked through the MK's Utilidors; we also know the story how the Seven Seas Lagoon / MK / Utilidors were constructed, so we tried our best not to laugh. We then realized we aren't 100% sure if this is a myth or fact!

Has anyone else heard / confirmed this "6-level Utilidor" rumour?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The other day we had some friends over and were enjoying a spirited (sorry, not you marni!) discussion about WDW and a bunch of "did you know" rumours.

Our friend told us that "in fact, the Utilidor's at MK actually go down a total of SIX levels when most think it's just the one underground floor."

Now, we've been on the KTTK tour and have walked through the MK's Utilidors; we also know the story how the Seven Seas Lagoon / MK / Utilidors were constructed, so we tried our best not to laugh. We then realized we aren't 100% sure if this is a myth or fact!

The Utilitdors are only one level deep. Most of MK is raised one story so the utilidoors extend down one story "ground" level. It's impractical to go deeper due to the high water table in Florida.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Considering that a typical building floor height is 10 feet it would require that the Magic Kingdom be 60 feet above the bottom level. The water table is too high to go down more than a few feet and we certainly do not climb the equivalent of six stories to gain access to the Magic Kingdom, so I have to surmise that they go their facts a little out of whack!

donaldtoo

Considering that a typical building floor height is 10 feet it would require that the Magic Kingdom be 60 feet above the bottom level. The water table is too high to go down more than a few feet and we certainly do not climb the equivalent of six stories to gain access to the Magic Kingdom, so I have to surmise that they go their facts a little out of whack!

Exactly. The whole reason the MK was raised in the first place was to still be able to have the utilidors, but, keep them above the water table.

pipenut

Original Poster
If by levels do you mean stories? If so than no

I think that may have been the confusing point for us. We clearly thought 6 stories was silly, but 6 "levels"... I guess it depends what makes up a "level." We thought perhaps a crawlspace that sits slightly lower than the main floor could be a level.

Rob562

Nope, not six levels, nor six stories. Most utility and infrastructure stuff runs along the ceilings of the tunnels anyway. The only place that's deeper than the rest is the part of the central corridor that dips down under the Hub to stay below the Hub waterway, but even then it's not a huge difference. It then slopes back up on the far side.

-Rob

mrerk

Premium Member
The Utilitdors are only one level deep. Most of MK is raised one story so the utilidoors extend down one story "ground" level. It's impractical to go deeper due to the high water table in Florida.

I thought the utilidors were at the original ground level. Then they buried them and built up from there. :confused:

Tom

Beta Return
I thought the utilidors were at the original ground level. Then they buried them and built up from there. :confused:

Yes, but for years they have incorrectly been referred to as the first story/floor of the park. By definition, the first floor or story is the level of a building which is at least 50% above grade.

The utilidors are primarily a basement. But it is true that they began building them on the existing soil, and then backfilled around them with soil excavated from Seven Seas Lagoon.

JungleTrekFan

Well the topography of the land they built the Utilidor was not the exact same elevation. So there are in essence different elevation sections but they are roughly on the same level. So Fantasyland section would be one level, the highest elevation, the lowest (probably 10ft lower) is the middle that passes under the castle and moat. Frontierland is probably second lowest, followed by Tomorrowland and Main Street (if I’m remembering correctly, it has been a year since i worked at MK) Even so that would only 5 levels not six, unless they count the utilities only area in Tomorrowland that could be another elevation.

Lucky

They go down pretty far

Hell.jpg

Tom

Beta Return
I always wondered what keeps the missiles from floating up to the top like a cork.

Exactly.....but that depth is classified information, so please don't repeat it.

I always thought the spires on the Castle were the missiles? o_O

They're just the launch tubes. They fill with water and the missiles launch from 32' below grade.

Small_ICBM_Hard_Mobile_Launcher_USAF.jpg

I thought those were mobile launchers... Like THIS one

They have those too, obviously. They're painted to look like swamps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom