How Does Somebody Get an EV Parking Space at Disney World?

Club Cooloholic

For finding a charging station, there are multiple map/app options. The Chargepoint app lists charging stations, even ones they don't own.

The only catch is that some stations are located in like private parking areas that aren't accessible by the general public, or you find one that is broken.

Usually though it is a little like knowing the location of a restroom in WDW. Once you know it is there, repeat visits are easy.
Well aware, but considering I have to wake up at 6 AM to start prepping my phone for the day, the idea of adding in another "Chore" so to speak went out the window. If they could have guaranteed me a Tesla, I would have kept the reservation, but as it was the Nissan leaf was in play.
Good to know, I wonder how many businesses are holding off installing them because they know parking lot chargers will become irrelevant fairly soon, once the charge time gets to 15 minutes everyone will just park in a normal spot and go to the “gas” station to “fill up” like they do now.

It’s a substantial expense for what might only be a few years of benefit to your guests.
I think ChargePoint puts them in for free right now, they make money off the actual charging, so the business owners arent out anything.

MickeyLuv'r

Well aware, but considering I have to wake up at 6 AM to start prepping my phone for the day, the idea of adding in another "Chore" so to speak went out the window. If they could have guaranteed me a Tesla, I would have kept the reservation, but as it was the Nissan leaf was in play.
I don't know the specifics of your situation, but it is as easy as using the GPS in my car to find a gas station. I mean my GPS will direct me to either.

Club Cooloholic

I don't know the specifics of your situation, but it is as easy as using the GPS in my car to find a gas station. I mean my GPS will direct me to either.
Which is easier, finding a charging station when you have half hour to spare to wait for the charge in a city you don't know or a gas station?

Club Cooloholic

At least I got to read this one before it gets deleted :)
Why would it get deleted? Listen, I am all for electric and he is right, in daily living it would be no problem. My complaint is that WDW doesn't have more charging stations for those on vacation. I mean there should at least be a dozen at every park and the resorts as some don't have any, including some of the deluxes.

Vegas Disney Fan

At least I got to read this one before it gets deleted :)
Not sure why it would get deleted, charging stations are one of the biggest concerns preventing mass adoption right now.

It may seem simple to those who have already done it but most people have never searched for an EV station, aren’t familiar with the apps, etc. Maybe it’s as easy as a CarPlay search but if you’ve never done it you wouldn’t know that, do you have to search for a specific type of charger, do you have to search to see if it’s currently available, etc? If you’ve never done it you wouldn’t know. Which is why this thread was created in the first place, to find answers.

I’ve never driven a car in Florida but I’ve passed by enough gas stations on the busses that I could fill up without needing a map, it’s just not something we even think about, we’re not to that point yet with ev.

Disstevefan1

Not sure why it would get deleted, charging stations are one of the biggest concerns preventing mass adoption right now.

It may seem simple to those who have already done it but most people have never searched for an EV station, aren’t familiar with the apps, etc. Maybe it’s as easy as a CarPlay search but if you’ve never done it you wouldn’t know that, do you have to search for a specific type of charger, do you have to search to see if it’s currently available, etc? If you’ve never done it you wouldn’t know. Which is why this thread was created in the first place, to find answers.
I thought it was part of a honest debate over fueling of gasolene cars VS charging of electric cars which is a huge no no here.....

Disstevefan1

Why would it get deleted? Listen, I am all for electric and he is right, in daily living it would be no problem. My complaint is that WDW doesn't have more charging stations for those on vacation. I mean there should at least be a dozen at every park and the resorts as some don't have any, including some of the deluxes.
I thought it was part of a honest debate over fueling of gasolene cars VS charging of electric cars which is a huge no no here.....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I’ve never driven a car in Florida but I’ve passed by enough gas stations on the busses that I could fill up without needing a map, it’s just not something we even think about, we’re not to that point yet with ev.
Well in a EV it is even easier. In the USA with a Tesla, you can travel anywhere coast to coast, and the car will work out all of the charging stops for you. It even knows if they are down for maintenance, if they are in use at any moment in time, and it also takes into account headwinds, crosswinds, temperatures, humidity - all to make sure you reach the various stops on the way. Then when you get to the stop you are looking at adding something like 200 miles of range in 20 minutes, during which you watch a bit of Netflix or Disney+ on the large screen.

Disstevefan1

Well in a EV it is even easier. In the USA with a Tesla, you can travel anywhere coast to coast, and the car will work out all of the charging stops for you. It even knows if they are down for maintenance, if they are in use at any moment in time, and it also takes into account headwinds, crosswinds, temperatures, humidity - all to make sure you reach the various stops on the way. Then when you get to the stop you are looking at adding something like 200 miles of range in 20 minutes, during which you watch a bit of Netflix or Disney+ on the large screen.
Look, I know you love your EV and that’s GREAT, but charging an EV is not as easy, fast and convenient as filling a gas tank. I know this post will get deleted, but it had to be said..

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Look, I know you love your EV and that’s GREAT, but charging an EV is not as easy, fast and convenient as filling a gas tank. I know this post will get deleted, but it had to be said..
Well obviously disagree there. Assuming you can use the Tesla Supercharger network, I think it is far better to stop and charge than filling a gas tank.

In terms of speed, depends on the gas station. There are plenty in the UK where you can be queuing for 10 minutes to get a spot at the pump, you then take a few minutes pumping, and then go inside to pay. It can easily take 20 minutes, and you are risking road rage maneuvering around the gas station. Contrast that to the supercharger, you arrive, plug in, it automatically bills to he car so there is zero payment process involved, you fire up Netflix, YouTube, Disney+. It is clean, no mess, no smell, no toxic fumes and 10 - 20 mins later you are done and on your way. It can be about as quick, costs a lot less, and is sustainable.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
After you get the hang of it, everything you’ve said here is wrong lol except maybe the speed. And that really Depends on how depleted you are, how far you’re going, and how many other cars are on the charger. Otherwise it’s really easy, convenient, and generally enjoyable. We drove from Florida to Ohio and the trip was exponentially more enjoyable with the charging stops, although we do feel like it took us about an hour and a half longer overall. We ended up at a couple charging stations longer than necessary though because we were exploring areas we hadn’t been to.

I don’t know. We can all agree to disagree and we can All be civil.

But I do think that the charging learning curve would be an additional unnecessary stress on a Disney vacation for someone who isn’t planning on buying an EV and doesn’t have any other real reason to go through the learning process. Because there is a learning curve and I think we can All agree on that. It’s not exactly the same as filling up gas. Both are easy. Both are convenient. Both are different.

WishIWasRetired

Well obviously disagree there. Assuming you can use the Tesla Supercharger network, I think it is far better to stop and charge than filling a gas tank.

In terms of speed, depends on the gas station. There are plenty in the UK where you can be queuing for 10 minutes to get a spot at the pump, you then take a few minutes pumping, and then go inside to pay. It can easily take 20 minutes, and you are risking road rage maneuvering around the gas station. Contrast that to the supercharger, you arrive, plug in, it automatically bills to he car so there is zero payment process involved, you fire up Netflix, YouTube, Disney+. It is clean, no mess, no smell, no toxic fumes and 10 - 20 mins later you are done and on your way. It can be about as quick, costs a lot less, and is sustainable.

I am not anti EV's but in the US there is virtually no wait for a gas pump unless there is a hurricane on its way

Disstevefan1

I am happy for your experience. There must be far less gas stations in the UK? I never knew that. In the US you glance at the gas station if there is more than a few cars at the pumps you just go to the next one, waiting is very rare.

Right now, you are an early adopter of electric cars, you are truly seeing the best of times, just like the early adopters in the US.

Currently in the UK about 2 percent of the cars are electric (wow more than I thought). I do wonder what's going to happen when there is 10 percent or 20 percent?

I can't imagine the charging stations growing faster than electric car ownership.

What if you ever have to queue? For every car in the queue at the charging station, it's a 10 to 20 min wait.

But for now, it seems fabulous.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I am happy for your experience. There must be far less gas stations in the UK? I never knew that. In the US you glance at the gas station if there is more than a few cars at the pumps you just go to the next one, waiting is very rare.

Right now, you are an early adopter of electric cars, you are truly seeing the best of times, just like the early adopters in the US.

Currently in the UK about 2 percent of the cars are electric (wow more than I thought). I do wonder what's going to when there is 10 percent or 20 percent?

I can't imagine the charging stations growing faster than electric car ownership.

What if you ever have to queue? For every car in the queue at the charging station, it's a 10 to 20 min wait.

But for now, it seems fabulous.
I think the big misconception with new EVs is that you are constantly charging away from home. That rarely happens outside of road trips. Minimum range on a Tesla is 200, with some models doing 400+ miles of range. So during typical driving, for most people, they will never need to use a charger away from home.

Disstevefan1

I think the big misconception with new EVs is that you are constantly charging away from home. That rarely happens outside of road trips. Minimum range on a Tesla is 200, with some models doing 400+ miles of range. So during typical driving, for most people, they will never need to use a charger away from home.
Modified for Mom -

Totally understand. It will be an absolute necessity to change at home.
It will be an absolute necessity for the residential power grid to be updated over time to support this.

This thread was about charging stations away from home.

For now,
it's a fabulous time to own an electric car. In my opinion, there are not enough charging stations on WDW property.

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
People are again getting off topic. If there are other places on WDW property to charge your EV please post them. But this is not a thread for general EV discussion. Thank you.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
In my opinion, there are not enough charging stations on WDW property.
Yeah its a very token effort so far.

What is needed is something like this by the TTC.

1654266086601.png

Disstevefan1

Yeah its a very token effort so far.

What is needed is something like this by the TTC.

View attachment 643170
And the best part, look at all the open charging stations! There are only three cars!

This is really an opportunity! In the US we have gas/convenience stores called Bucee’s, it’s more of a theme park atmosphere than convenience store , they should build Bucee’s with charging stations, since folks will have 20 minutes to kill while charging, they have the time to enjoy Bucee’s!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
It seems one of the larger problems is people will get to the park, plug into the charger, then head to the park for the day. That takes up a charging spot that someone else could use. It doesn’t take all day to charge the EV.

No. But from a practical standpoint it depends where you are charging. If you're at TTC - it isn't very appealing to get a text at 1pm saying your car is charged - then be put in a position where you need to take an hour to move your car

walking out of the MK > Monorail or Ferry to TTC > walk to your car > move your car > walk back to the TTC > Go through security again > Monorail or Ferry to the MK > walk into the park to meet up with your family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom