How do you see attendance for the parks in 2014?

gonnichi

Original Poster
Will the new attractions at the MK and Universal Orlando help attendance at the other parks or hurt them?

The MK will be getting a new daytime parade and the 7 dwarfs mine coaster. Universal is getting Potter 2. The other Disney parks don't seem to be getting any new attractions for 2014. I was just wondering what people here think about the two major additions that are coming in 2014 in terms of what they will do for the other parks attendance? Will Potter 2 bring a lot more people to the Orlando area and in turn bring a lot more attendance for all of the parks? Can the addition of the new Festival of Fantasy Parade and 7 dwarfs mine train bring the MK attendance above 20 million in 2014?

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on 2014?

ParentsOf4

2014 attendance at WDW will be driven primarily by the economies in the U.S., Western Europe, and Brazil.

SDMT and the new MK parade won't be major attendance drivers, although they should shift touring patterns, probably costing DHS/DAK and perhaps even Epcot.

Diagon Alley could be a major factor. When WWOHP opened, Disney claimed attendance at WDW was up modestly under the "a rising tide lifts all boats" idiom. IMHO, there might have been some truth to that. No matter how much you enjoy it, Uni in 2010 was no 7-day (or 6 or 5 or 4 or even 3) vacation. At least some of the increased crowd flooding Uni must have spilled over to WDW. But WWOHP also would have stolen a day or two from some WDW guests, making me suspect the net effect either way was negligible.

Diagon Alley, however, could be more painful for WDW, turning Uni into a solid 2 or 3-day vacation destination for most and even 4 days for some. Those days have to come from somewhere. most likely from WDW. Since WDW charges only $10/day for days 5, 6, and 7, the lost ticket revenue should be minor but the lost food and merchandise sales could be disastrous.

In 2014, more than ever, more could opt for "Uni only" vacations because of the numerous enhancements in both Uni theme parks. Uni's 4-day hopper is less than half the price of WDW's 4-day ticket. Even though days 5 and above are bargains at WDW, the buy-in price for the first 4 days has become so cost prohibitive that some guests might skip WDW entirely in 2014, instead waiting for bigger and better.

MyMagic+'s timing is inauspicious. It's possible it could be perceived as a failure if it's rollout is delayed much further and it is forced to compete directly with Diagon Alley.

experiment624

Some say Universal's City Walk was the death of Pleasure Island, if true, could that be a foreshadow? Universal teams up with Seaworld and Busch Gardens (and gives away free Wet N' Wild water park tickets) to grab the extra days away from WDW. Then they have their own on-property hotels (which ultimately are nicer than Disney Deluxe and they're pet friendly and their hotels offer perks - like all day unlimited fastpass on every attraction - that blows Disney out of the water) I would choose to stay at any of the Uni hotels before a Disney hotel, but the parks themselves just don't do it for me. Uni is a one-time visit and I'm good for another 10 years, even with the new additions. On the other hand, I'm an AP holder at Disney and I practically go every weekend, and barely get bored. I think when the shiney wears off of Uni, no one will notice its there, as before. Disney keeps it shiney all year, and on, even with the people on forums chatting about the perception of broken attractions and old-hat themeing the draw and delight is still there.

Cmdr_Crimson

Eventually it will be difficult to walk with the seas of people..
2009-06-05-WDW-Segway-lawsuit-Exhibit-showing-crowded-theme-park.jpg

But, that is until they give us a WOW Factor...

cheezbat

Some say Universal's City Walk was the death of Pleasure Island, if true, could that be a foreshadow? Universal teams up with Seaworld and Busch Gardens (and gives away free Wet N' Wild water park tickets) to grab the extra days away from WDW. Then they have their own on-property hotels (which ultimately are nicer than Disney Deluxe and they're pet friendly and their hotels offer perks - like all day unlimited fastpass on every attraction - that blows Disney out of the water) I would choose to stay at any of the Uni hotels before a Disney hotel, but the parks themselves just don't do it for me. Uni is a one-time visit and I'm good for another 10 years, even with the new additions. On the other hand, I'm an AP holder at Disney and I practically go every weekend, and barely get bored. I think when the shiney wears off of Uni, no one will notice its there, as before. Disney keeps it shiney all year, and on, even with the people on forums chatting about the perception of broken attractions and old-hat themeing the draw and delight is still there.

That's your opinion...I feel the exact opposite the last few years. Universal has some amazing attractions and they're keeping things fresh by adding to their parks yearly now...Disney - uh yeah...stale.

I do think their numbers will be pretty equal to this year...though DHS could see a decline....heck maybe even DAK.

wdwfan4ver

I don't see much of an increase for MK in 2014 despite having SDMT and a new parade. I think Epcot could be solid in 2014 based on the rumors earlier this year of adding another festival to the Park for next year.

I think DHS is the park that could be on the decline in 2014 for attendance. The Fact is I don't think tourists will be increasing the amount of Days at WDW, but will be spending less days or time in WDW Theme parks.

I think USF will have big jump in 2014. I think the park will have 7.7 to 8 million people by the end of that year. I am saying that because Transformers: the ride is now open and combine it with the opening of Potter Phase 2, you get a big jump in attendance. I don't see much of a change of Islands of Adventure in 2014 for attendance because nothing new has opened in that park and Jurassic Park Expansion would be in 2015.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom