How do you pay for your trip?

Not For Sale

On my last trip I was with onlyt with my mom and we were staying 2 nights at Pop Century and 1 night at a Universal on-sight hotel just for the Universal Express pass. We were planning on buying an 3-day ultimate park hopper pass but we found 3 old park hoppers. They had 2 days on them each! :sohappy: The price for admission: around $24 for E-ride night tickets. My grandma lives in Florida so we got a major discount on a Pop Century room. Now I know that my mom doesn't look like my grandma so she had to say to Disney that she doesn't drive and has no picture I.D. but we needed a parking pass for our grandma who was going to visit us :animwink: . The check in guy gave us 2 parking passes :brick: :lol: . We did the same thing at Universal and the check in guy did aswell :lol: . So we saved a TON on Orlando. So I calculated an approximate $400 for
2 nights in Pop Century
1 night in Universal
2 E-ride night tickets
2 Universal 1 day 2 park passes
(6 days worth of park hoppers, payed 3 years in advanced)

Tenny317

Well this trip in september my mom and i are paying for the trip from my moms jam...lol
My mom makes jam every summer and sells it at two craft fairs. She has such a cult following so she makes a good extra bucks....SO that is helping our trip this time....
We also have a change jar...but I don't usually get in on that...my parents use it for vegas trips..booooo
But each trip varies on how we pay for it....usually my dad just caves and just pays for it...hehe

Since1976

I purchased a floating timeshare (I can stay in various hotels around the world) so that I pay a fixed amount every month for 10 years. It's a chunk of change, but it's easier to invest a little each month than to have to think about saving.

Only thing I have to worry about is saving for park admission, meals, and souvenirs.

DisneyPhD

I am with patelaine1953

3 letters DVC!!!!!!!! We only need to come up with the dues (around 600 a year) air fare (that adds up fast, we like Spirt for good prices, non stop service and no problems so far.) The other thing we have started is the Diseny Visa. We seem to have TONS of expences lately (new baby, adding on to the house, new mini van ) and we put all of them on the Disney Visa. (not the baby, just the baby expensenses) :lol: Unfortantily our double number is 2300, but we have managed to hit it and get over 100$ in just one month (thanks to home depot.)

Having an annual pass cost more, but then you can get a few trips in 12 months and that helps.

When we bought the van I was thinking "just think of how many DVC points we could of bought for that!" We mesure money in Disney trips. I don't want to pay that much for that, I would rather spend the money at WDW.

I am really glad we bought into DVC when we did, because I was laid off last year and am now a stay at home mom. My income went for the fun stuff while Mr. PhD's went for the need to live stuff. Since we already paid for DVC our vacations for the next 40 years are locked in.

Laura

Premium Member
I have a yearly budget written on the computer in excel. We don't make much money and usually only have about $300-$500 left each month after bills. I figure a Disney vacation costs about $2,000, so it generally takes us about 5-6 months of saving every cent of our "extra" money to afford to go.

What ends up happening is we'll need an oil change or a pair of shoes or some sort of plumbing issue will arise and suddenly we have no money to pay for it because all our extra money is going to Disney LOL. So at the end of it all, we seem to be about $500 further into credit card debt from all those expenses that came up that we couldn't pay for. Oh well.

Money is temporary, memories are eternal.

tigsmom

Laura22 said:
What ends up happening is we'll need an oil change or a pair of shoes or some sort of plumbing issue will arise and suddenly we have no money to pay for it because all our extra money is going to Disney LOL. So at the end of it all, we seem to be about $500 further into credit card debt from all those expenses that came up that we couldn't pay for. Oh well.

Money is temporary, memories are eternal.

We saved for 2 years to go to WDW a few years ago...spent the extra money with very little left over. Came home from vacation & we had no water; the curb box had to be replaced...on us. We needed a loan to do it.

NEVER spend all your extra cash on a vacation. A vacation account is the way to go...a little in the vacation fund an little in the bank...just in case.
(thank god we are in a better place financially now)

kennyj29

Saving

We save all our change from the week and put it in our bank. We usually save for two years and by the time two years is up, we have over !,000 dollars and I mean over!!!! We never worry about spending money the second years because we have it through the coin savings but the other year is tough. This is the other year and we are dying on how we are paying for it this year but we always somehow get through. We have our airline paid, some food coupons paid so far, now we just need AP money and resort money. Hopefully I'll finally find a job and my husband will work lots of overtime!!!!
:brick:

Mom's the word

We have a strict budget for every pay cheque, I'm talking a daily breakdown here. Everything else goes into savings. We collect travel miles for airline tickets and car rentals, I'm fanatic about shopping for groceries, etc, where we can collect miles. Plus we stay off property - so far. It saves money like crazy and why spend big bucks on a bed when you can have so much more fun spending it in the parks? Someday we'd like to blow a few extra dollars for a place in the parks but, for the moment, this works best. It's extra work putting the money together for these trips but so completely worth it!

WDWScottieBoy

Mom's the word said:
We have a strict budget for every pay cheque, I'm talking a daily breakdown here. Everything else goes into savings. We collect travel miles for airline tickets and car rentals, I'm fanatic about shopping for groceries, etc, where we can collect miles. Plus we stay off property - so far. It saves money like crazy and why spend big bucks on a bed when you can have so much more fun spending it in the parks? Someday we'd like to blow a few extra dollars for a place in the parks but, for the moment, this works best. It's extra work putting the money together for these trips but so completely worth it!

First off, let me be the first to WELCOME you to the boards! Seems like we've been getting a lot of new members lately, that's such a good site to see. Just in case you don't know, Disney is having a promotion right now for the "dog days of summer" at WDW and offering rooms at the Value Resorts for $55 per night. A lot of budget watchers are taking advantage of this offer. I hope you can find yourself on property next time as it is truly a whole new world and experience there. Again, WELCOME! :wave:

Alright, yensidtlaw1969 beat me to being the first, but still. :lol:

hands

We have a standing order of £100 into our Disney holiday account, then book the holiday after two years of saving for the following year. There are three of us and we have to travel from the UK so we book into a Disney on site hotel for three weeks. I would go every year if not twice a year if I had the money.

fjm777

We save money all during the year and we try to stay as cheap as possible when we go. (Pop Century $49 a night).

I think most people can find money for the things that are important to them. I know we do. :)

I've noticed a few newbies on this thread so I would like to welcome them all to the boards! Luckily I've got parents to pay for the trips but the best advice that I can give is save a little every day and it will add up!

djmatthews

Mom's the word said:

Welcome Mom's The Word. I have just got myself a Virgin Credit card, I can use this to get miles either towards a flight, for the whole flight or cabin upgrade. Its a great idea. Our next trip is hopefully 2008, I think I'll start saving now!

tbell

fortunately for us, we live in Indiana and we get the best fares on ATA...we can fly round trip for around $120 or so (we are members of their ambassadair club and get extra discounts) and then we have annual passes, and we always pay for your room before we get there......then once we are there American Express ...........and pay for our charges the next month.........

hands

Since my first reply to this thread of saving for three years I have been introduced to a lagal and above board Internet advertising business that once I have joined and leave it for a year I can then afford to take the family to Disney twice a year.
I will still continue with my last year of saving for next years holiday, torn between All Stars and Pop Centuary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom