How do you keep a trip a secret?

Sal

When we visited Disney Land Paris 2 years ago, I promised the boys that we would take a holiday to WDW when they are 7 and 5 years old. I have now booked our 1st holiday to the world for Jan 24th 2009, a year before the predicted time. It is therefore easy to keep it a secret if they overhear us, by reminding them that we are preplanning for the year after. We will then surprise the boys with it on New Years Day by organising a treasure hunt around the house. At each clue, we will hide a disney related items, and the treasure at the end will be our ultimate disney tickets. This day is usually a quiet post Christmas time so i'm hoping that the children (aged 4 & 6) will love the game and the fantastic ending:). We then have a couple of weeks for the boys to become immersed in the excitement and planning.
Here's hoping that it all goes to plan.

lumpydj

We're planning a surprise trip to DL for DD. She's been begging us to go to Disney since our last trip in 2005 (WDW). We're going in August and I haven't spilled the beans yet! :sohappy: It is very difficult though. We told her that we have to go to CA for DH's work - she thinks it's San Diego though. We get in pretty late (9pm CA time - midnight our time). We're hoping she'll sleep until we get to the hotel and wake up there. It's so hard hearing her beg to go and we have to keep telling her that we haven't saved enough money yet. :lookaroun I know it will be worth it though!

woodsjen99

My DH and I did not tell our 4yr old DD about our trip last year until the morning we were leaving. It was not that hard to keep from her. She did ask why all the bags where on the guest bed and I said I did not know dad must be doing something. We had a really early flight so DH and I got up and got ready (bags already in the car) then went to wake DD up. We had a "letter" from Mickey inviting her to come visit him!! I was so excited to finally tell her, I cryed reading the letter! It took her most of the morning to realize what was going on.
If you have younger kids you can get by with talking about the trip as if someday you are going to go.

mickeyismyhero

My DH and I did not tell our 4yr old DD about our trip last year until the morning we were leaving. It was not that hard to keep from her. She did ask why all the bags where on the guest bed and I said I did not know dad must be doing something. We had a really early flight so DH and I got up and got ready (bags already in the car) then went to wake DD up. We had a "letter" from Mickey inviting her to come visit him!! I was so excited to finally tell her, I cryed reading the letter! It took her most of the morning to realize what was going on.
If you have younger kids you can get by with talking about the trip as if someday you are going to go.
I know how it is cause when i was reading it to my 2 boys i had a very hard time not to cry because cause my oldest son who was 5 at the time was so excited he got a letter from mickey asking him to come for a vist and his chirstmas party if i would have cried he wuold he came over and said its ok mommy and lost all his excitment.The best part was when he asked if we could go to the party lol becauseMickey asked him to go.

mickeyismyhero

that would be hard i love to go also but its not as hard as you think how ever this year we decided we was going agian and it will be my youngest 1st trip.We told everyone but she dont understand it yet.Cant wait im excited just for that lo.But after that we are not going to tell them the next time we go we are just going to pack not say anything and go lol..you jut have to watch what you say around them its not hard..

eeyoremum

We are hoping to surprise our kids at Christmas

The plan is to leave late on Dec 25th so we can drive all night and be there on the 26th. I think my DS(14) might figure it out but DS(9) likely won't. Our family talks about our trips on a daily basis so talking/planning a Disney trip is the norm in our house. I haven't figured out how I will pack bags yet though...also I live in fear that my DS(14) won't have summer clothes that fit in December since he seems to grow a few cm a day.

wdwmomof3

Last year we took DD's 18 (for Graduation) and 14 to the World, they know DW and I go every year so what we did was ALOT of misinformation:fork:.
We told them that Disney would be "just be too expensive" to take them too but we would go somewhere? We sent "clue's" to there MySpace accounts and led them to believe it was a Key West vacation. Then to top it off I made up a Dummy Itenerary for a Resort in Key West and "ACCIDENTALY" left it on the kitchen counter while DW and I went for a walk.When we returned we could tell they had been reading it, had Jet ski rentals, a day cruise excursion, and even resteraunt reservations times and locations in Key West.
They bought it HOOK LINE AND SINKER, right up to the point where they saw the signs for "Walt Disney World next exit" DW and I had a great time misleading them for 3 months even discussed the chance's of seeing Jimmy Buffet in Margaritaville:drevil:

Oh that was good! I spent an hour last night watching youtube videos about this very thing. Some of those kids were so cute! I have decided to do this myself for our next trip. I am not going to tell anyone about it. I am always talking Disney so no one will suspect. I really think that I can do this. :D

earningmyfins

This must be difficult. Either way you should keep it a secret. :zipit: Your kids will be thrilled when they realize that their on their way to Disney. It's like Christmas (or whatever holiday you celebrate :animwink:) morning..

wdwmomof3

I just talked to my DH about it and he laughed at me. :lol: He thinks that I wont be able to do it. I am going to prove him wrong!:king:

disneydiva72

We are surprising our kids this year with a trip to Disney for Christmas, (leaving the 23rd, returning 27th)we are just being very careful not to say anything, Im sure its going to get harder as the time gets closer but its going to be so worth it. :)

firedog31

I had bought my mom and myself disney passes for july of next year as a surprise to her as she has been wanting to go for awhile now. This was back in jan. I was planning on giving it to for christmas but after talking with my sister decided that it was to far to wait so we decided it was for her birthday which is in oct. Make a l;onger story short my mom would not stop talking about how much she wanted to go to disney and I was having a hard time keeping the fact that we were going a secret. Last week I caved in and made her close her eyes then placed the tickets and other papers already received in her hands. It was the most excited that I had seen her in a very long time, now she can't stop talking about the fact that we are going:lol:. Only thing is now I need a new idea for her christmas and bd gifts but it was well worth it to see her act like a little girl again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom