How do you do it?!???

InLikeFlynn

I would never go to WDW unless the following were done first:
1. All credit cards paid off
2. Student loans paid off
3. Any other debt paid off
4. Retirement savings paid
5. Rainy day fund in place (4-6 months take home pay)

We would never in our life ever go anywhere if we followed these rules. And then eventually we all just die anyway, so what fun is that...

I think there are 2 simple answers to the question posed by the OP:
some people have more money than you
some people have more debt than you (so thy can make those trips) :lol:

HopLow

We would never in our life ever go anywhere if we followed these rules. And then eventually we all just die anyway, so what fun is that...

I think there are 2 simple answers to the question posed by the OP:
some people have more money than you
some people have more debt than you (so thy can make those trips) :lol:

Ditto.

This is what I do: I book far enough in advance so that I can make monthly payments that are affordable. As long as my regular bills are being paid on time, then I don't see what the problem is. If I waited until all my student loans were paid off, I wouldn't be going on vacation again for another 10 years. What's the point of living if you can't take a break and have fun? There's a happy medium between stashing away every cent for the future and spending everything you earn.

Patrick_Ears

This is a tough one to give advice for. You can try this, buy a 10 day non expiration ticket. You can go like 3 or 4 times a year. You don't have to stay on grounds all the time. Look for deals, discounts with other travel companies also.

But just like someone posted on here, hey at least you get to go.

InLikeFlynn

This is the problem with this country. We are the NOW generation and could care less about retirement. These thought processes are why our country will have a $50T debt in 25 years.

The answer is you can do this, but you won't. That is the problem. Too many Americans are drastically over extending themselves.

Well, maybe have a spouse who has battled cancer for 7 years and you'll have a different perspective.
I pay my bills on time. So who cares if I have some debt to afford a vacation...or if I have to finance an appliance if it breaks because we don't have savings to cover for it?
My grandparents are in their 70s and they don't meet the above list. They still have a little debt, they don't have any big savings account. Most of my family has lived and died that way...they didn't leave any big inheritance behind but they also were not financial burdens to their family either.

and to add...all of my debts are business related. I don't put trips on credit cards, but I guess my debts would be paid off faster if I never took those trips. My car is financed, our house is (like most people, I imagine). But the majority of my debts are related to my business. And in the end, the business will be what helps me retire. It takes a few years to get right side up.

majorrfb

How to do WDW

Saving for vacations to WDW has always been a priority. I'm retired and my wife still works. Both of us have accounts for vacations. Tag sales go into the vacation account. My mother-in-law uses the money she saves on coupons and puts that into her vacation account. It builds up quickly. We rarely stay on property, and eat our main meals off property. This helps to keep costs within limits. We always enjoy our visits and look forward to more of them!:sohappy:

rsoxguy

I sell any organ that comes in pairs, along with things that I feel I can do without. Next up, my eardrums. Walt Disney World, here I come!

dopeylover

Original Poster
WOW! Great responses! I see a lot of them involve APs and/or living MUCH closer to WDW than I do, and you are very lucky to be able to go that much! I feel very lucky that I have just come back in May, and we are on our way to saving for a trip in 3 yrs., when my daughter will be able to enjoy even more.

We are not a family heavily in debt, and we don't live out of our means. I feel we are a 'normal' family w/ everyday bills, but I guess I am not willing to live completely bare bones for 1 week a year where I am completely happy. I have an infant daughter, so NOT buying clothes is not really an option since she grows every 30 seconds! lol We are Disney fanatics, but there is everyday life to face as well lol

The AP is DEFINITELY an option I knew about and never explored, but maybe a few years down the line it is something we can approach.

Thanks a LOT for all of the advice, and I am just going to save away for next time!

DougK

Income and priorities.

I have a comfortable wage that allows me to indulge myself. I choose to use Disney as my primary indulgence. :shrug:

My wife and I don't drink and we don't smoke. We Disney.

I honestly think what we save just by not smoking pays for one of our trips every year. Now to each his own, I am not judging anyone in fact I am a former drinker and smoker myself but this is how we feel we can afford the multiple trips we take each year. And if it wasn't for that we would figure something else out!

yankspy

A little fiscal responsibility goes a long way. You would be surprised what putting a little away consistently can allow you to do.

I am not sure I agree that all debt should be paid before you take a vacation. Someone mentioned all student loans being paid off before you take a vacation. Some of us have loans in excess of 100k. My son will be grown up before those are completely paid off.

These days Disney can be done on the cheap as well. A value with free dining can be done for about $1700 with airfare for a family of three. When you think about it, you can do that by saving about $150 a month for a year.

We live beneath our means on a daily basis...drive older vehicles, live in a modest home and have tried to be debt free as much as possible. We have simple indulgences most of the time and really are frugal in our daily lives so we can splurge on vacations. Why else do we work so hard? I go to WDW about twice a year or three times in 18mos is my average. Of course, my kids are grown now so I often go with friends, splitting the room charges helps with the budget. I've taken my grandson several times, sometimes with my husband, sometimes just the two of us. I've also gone on two solo trips...My husband likes that I go alone or with friends because he knows I'm happy :king: and he is only paying for one person not the both of us :lol: although he enjoys it too and will gladly go along.

So, that's my answer...live frugally, don't have debt and do splurge on happy.

spock

Income and priorities.

I have a comfortable wage that allows me to indulge myself. I choose to use Disney as my primary indulgence. :shrug:

Yep! Couldn't have said it better myself. Same here, and I feel extremely blessed and fortunate to be able to go each year. And like you said, it's about priorities. I don't drive a fancy car or spend a lot of money on expensive "toys" (except my photography hobby, which is my other passion and ties in perfectly with trips to WDW). :)

BUZZCRUSH

My husband is military and we take advantage if any and every military discount Disney offers. If you know anyone military make them your friend and they can sponsor you a room at the Shades of Green. We often talk about what we'll do if when Disney stops offering military discounts. It hasn't happend yet, but we figure we'll shorten our trip or buy AP's, camp whatever we need to do to make it work. We'll never go in debt for a vacation, so if it doesn't work out then we'll skip a year or so

Xethos

:)( just to be clear, this is only duing my busy season, I can go from working 70hr weeks, to not haveing a job for 4 months straight)

Im lucky I guess and landed a decent job, I dont mind discussing how much I make because its public knowledge if you google it... I make around $45 an hr, plus my benefit which brings it to around $80+an hr. Anything more then 7 hours in a day becomes time and a half, and during the spring and fall its not too uncommon to work 3 hours late, 3 days a week , and a saturday as well (sat. are usually 10hr days), which are also time and a half. So in one week I could have an extra 19 hours at $67 an hr...thats $1282.5 on top of my normal weeks pay $1575 ((all before taxes of course, that part is not public knowledge or anyones busines :) ))

So for me first weeks pay of the month is the mortgage, second week takes care of utilities / food. Third week savings. Fourth recreation.

Im also single ( so no kids) , and I dont drink so vacationing for me is no problem luckily. Im able to drop $5,000 without too much of an after thought but my biggest problem is finding someone else who wants to vacation down at disney as often as id like to. In 2008 I went twice in 6 months for 8 days each time, but havent been able to go back since....

( please no one take this as bragging I worked heavy construction to get to the point where I am and I will, and already do pay the price through the abuse Ive put on my body, at the moment im disabled because of an accident so im not making anything, so no trips for me for a while..no pity please, ill be fine in time:) , and I also support my mother financially, so I dont have That much extra money

Obi

just have to do a quote from poison. mix in a little disney to it....

not a dime, i can't pay my rent.
i can barely make it through the week.
saturday night i'd like to ride haunted mansion
but right now i can't make ends meet.

i'm always working, slaving every day
gotta get a break from same old, same old.
i need a chance just to get away
if you could hear me think
this is what i'd say

don't need nothing but disney world
how can i resist?
don't need nothing but disney world
and it don't get better than this!

Obi

verse 2

say i should spend all my money on bills and dues.
well, doing that all the time just gives me the blues.
i'm real sorry about the financial state i'm in.
i just like to visit disney world every now and then.

i'm always working, slaving every day
gotta get a break from same old, same old
i need a break from the stress and strife
hear me say, I NEED SOME BALANCE OF FUN IN MY LIFE!

don't need nothing, but disney world!
how can i resist?
don't need nothing, but disney world!
and it don't get better than this!

:):ROFLOL::):ROFLOL:

Obi

here comes the bridge...

you see i raise a toast to all of us.
who are breaking our backs every day
if only good life is such a crime
then mickey come take me away!
here's to ya!

(goofy's guitar solo here)

mrerk

Premium Member
My parents are cast members so really the only way we can afford to go every year is by taking full advantage of their discounts and free tickets. We also all stay at FW in their motor home and split the cost of the site. I watch for flight deals to try to get the best price on flights possible because driving is not an option for me!

I'm not sure if I am following this correctly. Are you saying your parents are cast members and live in their motorhome at Fort Wilderness? How cool is that? Are there other cast member that live in FW? Is there a time limit as to how long you can stay at FW?

elfshadowreaper

My wife and I just took our last trip for as long as it takes us to get rid of student loans. We're guessing about two years. If it takes longer, we're fine with that. I agree with one of the previous comments about this being the "now" generation. I've felt like part of that generation from time to time but I've never had a credit card and I'm proud of it. Most people say credit cards are necessary but I've gotten by without one and I've even financed a house. If anyone asked me my credit score I couldn't tell them because I've never even cared.
"Children do what feels good. Adults make a plan and follow it." -Dave Ramsey

mrerk

Premium Member
DVC and annual passes are what works for us. The hard part was laying out the initial investment into DVC. The $100 month dues we treat like any other bill. It's amazing how much more palatable a trip can be when you only have to worry about airfare.

Tinkerbell 8

We try to go to Disney every 9-12 months. We have been very fortunate that we always stay on property, and I always look for deals. We do not have a set time that we can take vacation time, so we have been going during non-peak seasons. We book through AAA, sometimes their packages are a little better than booking directly through Disney. We usually go for free dining over the room discount because we enjoy eating a lot and its one less thing we have to pay for when we get there. We also drive to Disney to save some money, and we pack a bunch of snacks so we don't have to waste money on food that isn't included with our dining plan. During the year we save by keeping a jug of our change (we just got married a few months ago and we actually paid for a large part of or wedding with change we saved). I am also very big into coupons, and I will not pay full price for anything. I will go to up to 4 supermarkets a week depending on who has the best sales, who will double or even triple coupons, I stock pile things that either do not go bad, or things we use often when sales are really good. I also buy most of my clothes at Platos Closet (a designer consignment shop) instead of buying new clothes at the mall. The most important part of being able to take a good trip to Disney is planning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom