How do you do it?!???

dopeylover

Original Poster
Hi All!

In my time posting and reading on this site, I have noticed a lot of people who take several trips a year to WDW.

I was just very interested and curious...How do you do it?!? lol :shrug:

We have all the things everyone has...mortgages, utilities, cars, student loans, children, etc., and it takes us 2 or 3 years to save up for a proper 7-10 day trip!! Does it take the 'magic' out of going?

I am just curious/jealous (hehe) how you make it work! Any tips/advice is appreciated, as this is something I would aspire to do lol.

Obi

i'm in the same boat as you are. it takes me a few years to save up to go.

however, i'm glad i get to go. there are some people who never get to go or takes them even longer to save up enough money to go.

Walt Disney1955

i'm in the same boat as you are. it takes me a few years to save up to go.

however, i'm glad i get to go. there are some people who never get to go or takes them even longer to save up enough money to go.

This.

While it is nice to travel to WDW annually or wherever for that matter, my wife and I are in the same boat. We need to put money aside (or take money out of a tax free savings account) just to go somewhere nice. When we're in our 50s I don't think we'll need to do this because we should be better off but this is life right now, what can you do?

To the OP, remember one thing, even if you don't take a trip every year, abscence makes the heart grow fonder. It is that much sweeter when you go again. Look at my signature below, the 2009 trip was the best ever.

becanya

We just started going to Disney in 2009, but by Jan we will be taking our 6th trip to WDW or HHI Disney. We aren't wealthy people, but we do like to vacation. As far as trips to WDW go, we own DVC and thus by AP (because you get the discount). So when I think of adding on another trip (our upcoming Jan trip was a last minute addition), it helps that all I have to pay for is our food and airline tickets. We already have the room paid for (through DVC) and the park tickets paid for (through our AP). That being said, we live very tight in normal non-vacation times to save up the money for our trips. We rarely buy clothes, we drive very understated cars (one without AC), and I do some intense couponing to save on groceries. We try to spread out vacation expenses over several months (buy 1 AP per month leading up to our trip for example) so the expense isn't all at one time. People spend money on what they value, and most the people in our neighborhood drive BMW's and have 2 car payments. But we would rather drive decent reliable cars and be able to vacation more. But most people make fun of our extreme vacationing. I just figure I can't judge others for spending their money on clothes and cars, so they shouldn't judge me for spending mine on vacations!:wave:

foreverbelle

We became DVC members, and annual pass holders. Honestly, if it wasn't for the two, I don't think we would go every year. Besides that I am a saver, keep a can of change, through some dollars here and there into savings. etc. I know I am fortunate and lucky to be able to do this, and I know there may be a year were going once to twice a year may not be an option but for now I am enjoying it.

BigRedDad

It comes to financial burdens we all possess. Everyone is different. Some people inherit $M's and do nothing, others have 6-figure incomes, others struggle to pay bills. It all comes down to individual preferences and circumstances. To go multiple times a year, you need APs. Those are ~$500 each. Then you need to consider lodging. Many people camp, others will do nothing less than GF Club Level, and others stay off-site.

For me personally, I use my bonus. We call it a bonus, but it really isn't. Work takes 10% of our pay away and is "kind" enough to give it back as a lump sum. Unfortunately, we never get 10% back and it is closer to 3%. Then, we use some of our tax return.

I would never go to WDW unless the following were done first:
1. All credit cards paid off
2. Student loans paid off
3. Any other debt paid off
4. Retirement savings paid
5. Rainy day fund in place (4-6 months take home pay)

It is not easy to do this. The problem we have in the US is we are the "I want it now" and "debt" generation. You need to prioritize your personal finances.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Income and priorities.

I have a comfortable wage that allows me to indulge myself. I choose to use Disney as my primary indulgence. :shrug:

Chef Mickey

Save and invest. Also, having a good income helps.

Never take trips on a credit card or by taking money out of a 401k or IRA. Never take trips if you have credit card debt or are living check to check.

Personally, I'd have 12 months of cash for living expenses before I'd do anything "extra."

LilSuzy

The only times I went multiple times a year was when I was a Cast member. You got in free, 50%off Disney hotels, plus the free tix you get a year. (I don't know if it's still the same) However this year was kinda a fluke really, I just decided to sell alot of my scrapbooking supplies (I have a TON....kinda like a store :lookaroun ) I sold an ton of stuff on Ebay and made enough money for Tix, room, and spending money!

I decided to surprise my husband for his Birthday because it's so close to Halloween and last year I felt so bad we were moving states and bought a home that we did nothing for his 30th. So you can always see what you have to sell and make what you can out of that :wave:

Vacation

We manage once a year--the killer for us is the flights from the UK !!
We are careful with our spending throughout the year as we love our WDW vacation. We are in the Vacation Club which means we can self cater more. We have breakfast and lunch in , so we are only eating out in the evening. In the parks we don`t buy drinks--we carry water bottles--which is a saving.

DisneyJoe

a proper 7-10 day trip

According to this standard, I haven't taken a "proper 7-10 day trip" since 2009, and before that was 2001. I've taken quite a few 3 night trips, seldom more than 1 per year, some were business related.

As MonyMon said, it comes down to income and priorities.

I see people purchase season tickets for football games, and spend large amounts of money on tailgate parties or just spending all day Sunday watching sports with family/friends and with good amounts of food and beverages. It surprises me sometimes how much time and money they spend with football.

Others have expensive vehicles and they seem to get new ones every other year or so.

Different income and different priorities.

Yodadudeman

Its tough. Disney certainly doesn't make it cheap to visit.

To answer your one question, it never gets boring. I know I, personally, am obsessed and not everyone feels that way. However, everytime I go I find myself completely excited. I enjoy the World everytime that I go.

Rinx

In 2009 and 2010 I probably went to WDW nearly a dozen times. It was possible to do this because I was a Seasonal Cast Member at the time. Free admission to all the parks and 50-60% off room rates made it possible to do so. Whenever I found cheap airfare, I was there. Usually a 4-5 night trip. Now?? Forget it, can't afford it :lol:

Chef Mickey

Its tough. Disney certainly doesn't make it cheap to visit.

To answer your one question, it never gets boring. I know I, personally, am obsessed and not everyone feels that way. However, everytime I go I find myself completely excited. I enjoy the World everytime that I go.

It's just as cheap as any trip full of activities.

Yodadudeman

"cheap" is a highly relative term.

True. But poll a hundred people and ask them if Disney's ticket prices are cheap and I gurantee you a large majority will tell you that they aren't. For the average working American, it can be tough to afford a trip to Disney World.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I bought DVC and an annual pass. I don't buy random items from the shop. I drive for cheaper than one person flying.

Priorities

I guess we all choose how we want to spend our money. Some people we know spend alot on eating out/drinking/expensive cars and designer clothes. I love my vacation--so that is what I save for. If I need trainers for the gym I will buy a pair from the Walmart for $10 rather than an expensive pair with Nike on them!!

wendysue

Save and invest. Also, having a good income helps.

Never take trips on a credit card or by taking money out of a 401k or IRA. Never take trips if you have credit card debt or are living check to check.

Personally, I'd have 12 months of cash for living expenses before I'd do anything "extra."

That's good advice...but if I followed it I would die having only 8 months of cash for living expenses and would have NEVER gone to Disney. :ROFLOL:

Ya can't take it with you....gonna take as many trips as possible and worry about the rest when I'm old and don't get around so good.:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom