How do they make the 3D objects in MP go back into the screen?

ILOVEDISNEY

Original Poster
Wow, is Mickey's Philharmagic cool or what? How do they get the 3D objects to go into the screen from what appears to be the back of the theater? That is the way coolest thing I have even seen at WDW with the exception of some of the new Wishes fireworks.

Disney2002

I've not seen PM, so I don't fully know what you're talking about. I hope you don't mean how do the images go 'back into' the screen.

TimeTrip

I've seen philharmagic several times, and I'd like to try and explain.. but I'm not sure I understand what you're asking :(

EDIT: I think I figured out the question. Its probably regarding the parts of philharmagic where something gets sucked into the screen, and in order for more and more stuff to get sucked in, more stuff appears to be coming from behind you. I'm not sure how to explain it, because it's the same as any 3d effect. Take the 3d effect where something explodes at you, and just reverse it.

Disney2002

If that is what happens, the answer is simple.

If you look at the film without your glasses you will notice that objects that do not appear in 3D are clear, while those which are in 3D are blurry. In fact, the closer the 3D image appears to be, the more blurry the image without glasses.

This is because the 3D effect is generated by further skewing the pictures seen by your right and left eye. This is the way depth perception works in real life actually.

Try holding you finger out in front of your face as far as your are can stretch. Look at it with one eye -- then the other. Notice that the finger seems to change place based on which eye you look with.

Now hold your finger about 6 inches from your face and repeat the process. Notice this time that the finger move A LOT compared to the background.

By simulating this in film (and then correct the image for each eye using the polarized lenses), the 3D effect is created.

In order to have images appear as if they are being sucked into the screen, the film simply starts looking incredibly blurry, and slowly moves to look in focus (if you weren't wearing your glasses).

Nothing difficult at all!

Hope the explanation of 3D helped!

TimeTrip

Originally posted by wdwmagic
What 2D screens?

Yeah.. i guess thats a funny way to say it... I guess it should have been written as "the screens on the edges that aren't projected in 3D". On second thought, I think "2d screens" is fine :)

Woody13

As I understand the way Mickey's Philharmagic works is that there are three screens. Only the center screen is projected in 3d, while the left and right screens are "normal".

ILOVEDISNEY

Original Poster
Originally posted by Disney2002
If that is what happens, the answer is simple.

If you look at the film without your glasses you will notice that objects that do not appear in 3D are clear, while those which are in 3D are blurry. In fact, the closer the 3D image appears to be, the more blurry the image without glasses.

This is because the 3D effect is generated by further skewing the pictures seen by your right and left eye. This is the way depth perception works in real life actually.

Try holding you finger out in front of your face as far as your are can stretch. Look at it with one eye -- then the other. Notice that the finger seems to change place based on which eye you look with.

Now hold your finger about 6 inches from your face and repeat the process. Notice this time that the finger move A LOT compared to the background.

By simulating this in film (and then correct the image for each eye using the polarized lenses), the 3D effect is created.

In order to have images appear as if they are being sucked into the screen, the film simply starts looking incredibly blurry, and slowly moves to look in focus (if you weren't wearing your glasses).

Nothing difficult at all!

Hope the explanation of 3D helped!

I understand how 3D works. What I am talking about is objects that appear out of thin air in front of you and are pulled back into the screen; not the usual 3D objects that appear to jump out from the screen and then are pulled back. This is something new--really!!!

TimeTrip

Originally posted by ILOVEDISNEY
I understand how 3D works. What I am talking about is objects that appear out of thin air in front of you and are pulled back into the screen; not the usual 3D objects that appear to jump out from the screen and then are pulled back. This is something new--really!!!
I wouldn't say its anything particularly new. Its just applying the "jump out at you" process in reverse. When a 3d image appears to go towards you then behind you.. eventually it has to disappear right in front of you. For PM, they just do the reverse. They make it start right in front of you and move it towards the screen.

ILOVEDISNEY

Original Poster
Originally posted by TimeTrip
I've seen philharmagic several times, and I'd like to try and explain.. but I'm not sure I understand what you're asking :(

EDIT: I think I figured out the question. Its probably regarding the parts of philharmagic where something gets sucked into the screen, and in order for more and more stuff to get sucked in, more stuff appears to be coming from behind you. I'm not sure how to explain it, because it's the same as any 3d effect. Take the 3d effect where something explodes at you, and just reverse it.

Right, but how do they do it?

P.S. For the other posters MP screen is the largest 3D screen in the world at 150 feet. All three sections have 3D projected on them during the film. You can see the film division marks and they are cleverly covered during most of the time the full 150 width is used.

se8472

Right, but how do they do it?

do you mean how is it made? Computer...

But I am sure you knew that, but I really don't understand the questions lol

Woody13

P.S. For the other posters MP screen is the largest 3D screen in the world at 150 feet. All three sections have 3D projected on them during the film. You can see the film division marks and they are cleverly covered during most of the time the full 150 width is used.

According to George Scribner, Animation Director of Mickey's Philharmagic, only the center screen is 3d (stereo) and the left and right screens are mono:

"The 165-degree wide screen (nearly three times the width of a normal screen) helps immerse us completely in the action. Disney boasts that this is the widest (150 foot) seamless movie screen in the world (not a Stitch to be found?). According to George Scribner, "Four projectors, two in the center in stereo, and two on each side" are required - the middle two to create the central 3D effects, and one each for the extreme left and right of the screen. These outer images aren't in pop-off-the-screen 3D, as our eyes can't perceive depth at the outer edges of our vision, but the computer-generated scenes are still "modeled" in 3D, just as they are in Pixar's computer-animated features. George revealed that they tested stereo-3D images on the outer screens "early on, but we were not successful. In terms of the story, it starts to get pretty distracting. (It's) better to focus. We're dealing with a range of audiences. It has to be clear and simple and to the point."

http://www.passporter.com/articles/philharmagic.htm

ILOVEDISNEY

Original Poster
Originally posted by Woody13
According to George Scribner, Animation Director of Mickey's Philharmagic, only the center screen is 3d (stereo) and the left and right screens are mono:

"The 165-degree wide screen (nearly three times the width of a normal screen) helps immerse us completely in the action. Disney boasts that this is the widest (150 foot) seamless movie screen in the world (not a Stitch to be found?). According to George Scribner, "Four projectors, two in the center in stereo, and two on each side" are required - the middle two to create the central 3D effects, and one each for the extreme left and right of the screen. These outer images aren't in pop-off-the-screen 3D, as our eyes can't perceive depth at the outer edges of our vision, but the computer-generated scenes are still "modeled" in 3D, just as they are in Pixar's computer-animated features. George revealed that they tested stereo-3D images on the outer screens "early on, but we were not successful. In terms of the story, it starts to get pretty distracting. (It's) better to focus. We're dealing with a range of audiences. It has to be clear and simple and to the point."

http://www.passporter.com/articles/philharmagic.htm

Thanks for the link. It was a great article. Don't know about all the 3D mumbo jumbo about what is real 3D and what is 3D, but not real 3D. All I know the film is great and can't wait to see it again soon-again soon.

P.S. You can purchase your own 3D glasses on the Internet. The ones at Disney use polarized lenses. Some people think all 3D has to be with red and blue lenses and can't figure out how Disney does it.

P.P.S. This is OT, but Schrek 4D at Universal is awesome too.

Disney2002

The answer has been asserted by many people now. The objects that seem to appear out of nowhere are simply projected extremely skewed when they first appear.

What would happen if you only showed the frames of an object that has already 'burst from the screen'? It would appear to have magically manifested itself in midair in the theatre!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You think thats clever? Look at DLPs Studios Cinemagique - SPOILER ALERT - where a live person on the stage walks into the screen (several times), a sword cuts through the screen, and a door physically opens on the screen for someone to walk through, then closes and gets ripped off and tossed away in the movie!! Its not 3d, as in a polorised lens, but has three dimensions as in the stage to the screen. I am SO surprised this film hasn`t been ported to Florida or California yet!

PS I stuck my slightly off topic opinion in because I havn`t seen MP in real life yet.... :(

aimster

I've read about Cinemagique and it sounds really neat. I'd love to see that brought over to MGM as it would be a perfect fit.

But what about the Genie from Aladdin 3D movie at Disney Sea in Tolyo? In that there's a couple live actors onstage interactibe with the Genie, which is in 3D. That's pretty nifty too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom