How do they find your table at BoG?

seafoodbuffet

Original Poster
Ate at BoG for lunch (we didn't have MagicBands so we got a Rose). When I asked the CM who brought our food, she would only say "Magic!". Obviously the rose has some sort of rfid but those things have pretty limited range. Do their carts have some version of "warmer, warmer, colder" indicators on them? That seems a little haphazard for Disney.

Tom

Beta Return
Ate at BoG for lunch (we didn't have MagicBands so we got a Rose). When I asked the CM who brought our food, she would only say "Magic!". Obviously the rose has some sort of rfid but those things have pretty limited range. Do their carts have some version of "warmer, warmer, colder" indicators on them? That seems a little haphazard for Disney.

The roses have active transmitters in them, if I'm not mistaken. Thus, they can be read from long ranges (just like the Magic Bands).

seafoodbuffet

Original Poster
Ah, that must be it. I always figured that the rose by itself couldn't send out a strong enough signal to be caught by the roving carts. I never noticed anything built into the tables themselves. That's really cool and I love how it's just "part of the magic".

Rob562

Ah, that must be it. I always figured that the rose by itself couldn't send out a strong enough signal to be caught by the roving carts. I never noticed anything built into the tables themselves. That's really cool and I love how it's just "part of the magic".

The tables have a very thick underside.

-Rob

disneygeek87

Not sure if anyone has a Panera Bread near them, but they use the same technology (minus the cool rose part!). There is a sensor under the table and a transmitter in the rose. I believe this uses RFID technology just like the Magic Bands. The Cast Members have access to a digital map that shows where the transmitter is located in relation to the set up of the tables throughout the restaurant.

MagicHappens1971

The carts have an iPod/iPhone thing attached to the cart, I'm assuming it has the table # or maybe an arrow.

TheHodge

Sorry to bump this thread but one of the discussions we had was, how do they power the tables?, we were able to move the tables during our 'investigation' and could see no power source attached to the table legs. We assumed it was something along the lines of they charge the tables overnight and they have a battery but would love some other ideas / clarification

MagicHappens1971

Sorry to bump this thread but one of the discussions we had was, how do they power the tables?, we were able to move the tables during our 'investigation' and could see no power source attached to the table legs. We assumed it was something along the lines of they charge the tables overnight and they have a battery but would love some other ideas / clarification
The same way magicbands are powered I'd assume, they don't have/need a battery. The tables just have the locater that interacts with the bands, then the cart's iPod needs a battery. I don't know for sure, that's just my assumption.

TheHodge

The table we had was def. giving off heat which indicated some sort of power or computer ( the idea being that the magic bands / rose were the RFID chips and the table was the responder to say this person is sat here and sends a signal over wifi to the server)

Rob562

The heat from the table is definitely indication that there's active processing happening inside the table. Presumably the computer "innards" of the tables are removed and recharged on a regular basis. Whether that's a nightly requirement, I'm not sure. (If it were truly smart, the table could send out an indicator to the central system that its battery is getting low and needs to be charged)

If I were designing such a system, all table computer packs would be the exact same unit and be fully interchangeable rather than one unit being specifically set to be for a particular table number. When a unit is inserted into the table is when it reads a static chip inside the table and learns what table number it is now.
(All purely informed supposition on my part)

-Rob

TheHodge

That was my theory as well but I was thinking about things like the 24 hour opening, I don't know if BoG is open for the full 24 hours but that wouldn't leave much time for charging (although swapping a battery would be simple during an hours or so downtime (in the change over between breakfast and dinner? ) I didn't see anywhere easily accessable for a battery although that was the point (we did spend a good 20 minutes looking at the table, that's what happens when a bunch of tech geeks go to Disneyworld ;) )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom