How Disney can get Marvel for WDW

Surferboy567

Now I can see Disney using those IP’s,
Probably not for a major attraction as

I am honest here,
I bet they would try to push Comcast into doing it once they earn back some money.
But right now I believe they have their eyes on Sony, they probably can’t buy them because they are to big (even though AT&T is bigger).
Ever since the Sony-Disney Spidey divorce disney is going to do what ever they can to bring Spider Man back

I personally think that are going to want to make them hurt. For example releasing a gigantic movie when their next Spider-Man movie comes out like a Star Wars.

HansGruber

I read online that Disney Orlando can use any IP that is not represented at Universal, thus the GoTG ride.

I'm curious as to what other Marvel characters Universal doesn't actually represent. (And why the heck didn't Universal jump on a GoTG ride after the success of the first film!?)

Tank Man

Original Poster
I read online that Disney Orlando can use any IP that is not represented at Universal, thus the GoTG ride.

I'm curious as to what other Marvel characters Universal doesn't actually represent. (And why the heck didn't Universal jump on a GoTG ride after the success of the first film!?)
They would have to have the rights,
So far they don’t have Doctor Strange, Eternals and GotG and they actually can’t because they were not in the contract from Uni.
They would have to make another contract and no way now that Marvel is supervised by Disney is that is going to happen.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
If you could make a bunch of money without having to put any money into it (labor costs, upkeep, advertising, etc.), wouldn't you just keep things as they were? Not sure having Spidey in WDW would net them anything more than what they make now from the UO contract.

HansGruber

So far they don’t have Doctor Strange, Eternals and GotG and they actually can’t because they were not in the contract from Uni.
Where are you getting this from? I can't find a list online indicating exactly what IP Universal can and can't use.

An article I just read (can't find it again), indicated that any Marvel property not utilized by Universal at their park is fair game. So, I read that to mean GoTG could have been used by Universal, but wasn't and would have prevented Disney from opening such a ride.

lazyboy97o

Where are you getting this from? I can't find a list online indicating exactly what IP Universal can and can't use.

An article I just read (can't find it again), indicated that any Marvel property not utilized by Universal at their park is fair game. So, I read that to mean GoTG could have been used by Universal, but wasn't and would have prevented Disney from opening such a ride.
Per the shrinkage clause, it was characters in use at a certain time years ago.

You can read the contract here:

Tank Man

Original Poster

From the contract papers themselves.
I can’t find them but Disney can’t use any characters within the Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four or Spider Man which if I am correct GotG, Doctor Strange and Eternals are not part of that as I am pretty sure the Eternals actually only appeared in GotG comics if I am correct.
But please correct me if I am wrong

Tank Man

Original Poster
Also making it clear,
Comcast probably would not sell the contract for a while until the world starts doing something about it by complaining that the comics are “outdated” which probably won’t happen. Unless they wanted to make Disney pay for something major that would benefit them more like a DC area or something but once again, unlikely.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

This is not quite accurate. Universal has exclusive rights to the characters they are using in a non-incidental manner, AND any character in the same family. So Universal has all the characters that are part of Spiderman, Fantastic Four, X-Men and the Avengers. Due to the way characters cross over in comics virtually every character can be traced to one of these families. So determining what is and isn't covered is a little tricky.

Dr Strange appears to be ok since DHS did a M&G with him for a while. Guardians is ok because the incarnation of the characters the Disney is using came after the Universal contract was made, the Guardians that existed before that were different. The Eternals seem to be seperate enough from those families to also be usable by Disney.

Tank Man

Original Poster
This is not quite accurate. Universal has exclusive rights to the characters they are using in a non-incidental manner, AND any character in the same family. So Universal has all the characters that are part of Spiderman, Fantastic Four, X-Men and the Avengers. Due to the way characters cross over in comics virtually every character can be traced to one of these families. So determining what is and isn't covered is a little tricky.

Dr Strange appears to be ok since DHS did a M&G with him for a while. Guardians is ok because the incarnation of the characters the Disney is using came after the Universal contract was made, the Guardians that existed before that were different. The Eternals seem to be seperate enough from those families to also be usable by Disney.
That clears it all up now

Tank Man

Original Poster
hate to bump this thread but saw that Walt Disney Presents is currently running an exhibit around Jack Kirby "The Man Behind The Eternals"
Yep which aren’t covered in the universal contract.
Yeah,
If Marvel makes the movies for ones like Eternals, the ones Uni did not want.
Disney could use them and since the following might be:
-Guardians (we know this)
-Doctor Strange (possible)
-Eternals (useable by Disney)
-Shang-Chi (maybe)
Does anyone know which ones are not in Marvel Superhero Island?

The Grand Inquisitor

Yeah,
If Marvel makes the movies for ones like Eternals, the ones Uni did not want.
Disney could use them and since the following might be:
-Guardians (we know this)
-Doctor Strange (possible)
-Eternals (useable by Disney)
-Shang-Chi (maybe)
Does anyone know which ones are not in Marvel Superhero Island?
Doctor Strange is at Universal. But Disney can use Guardians, Shang Chi, and The Eternals.

Donaldfan1934

Yeah Strange isn’t in IOA.
Actually, that doesn’t seem to be the case anymore as can be seen in this tweet from @bioreconstruct.

For those here in the know, I have a few questions about this...
1. How was Universal able to use imagery of a Marvel character who’s imagery wasn’t already being used in IOA?
2. How was Disney able use Doctor Strange in both a meet and greet and projection show at DHS if his theme park rights somehow fell under the Universal Master Liscensing Agreement.
3. If both Disney and Universal are able to use Doctor Strange, are there other Marvel characters who also fall into this legal grey area?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom