How difficult is it to reserve 7 months out?

Phonedave

My wife is an anti-bac machine. Before we are even allowed to enter the room she cleans EVERYTHING including tubs faucets jets handles, checks for bed bugs...its like she picks up the room and gives it a Karen Silkwood Shower Special.

You can throw a dishwasher pod in the tub, run it for a while, and then rinse it. My wife is beyond anti-bac, for medical reasons. She essentially has no immune system. Google Common Variable Immunodeficiency Syndrome. It's a genetic thing, your body does not make the necessary stuff. She gets infused with human immunoglobulin every month just to give her the ability to fight off the common cold. On top of that, she is allergic to most antibiotics - they put her into anaphalyxis. Two totally unrelated medical issues that go great together. So, yeah, she kind of cleans everything. She also loves jetted tubs. Me, I never liked them. We have one at home, I never use it. Hot tubs on the other hand, I can spend hours in.

-dave

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
For the OP, we’ve been DVC at SSR since 04 and have never stayed there. We’ve always been able to get a 2 Bedroom at BLT and VGF without problem. Granted most of our stays are in August.

correcaminos

You can throw a dishwasher pod in the tub, run it for a while, and then rinse it. My wife is beyond anti-bac, for medical reasons. She essentially has no immune system. Google Common Variable Immunodeficiency Syndrome. It's a genetic thing, your body does not make the necessary stuff. She gets infused with human immunoglobulin every month just to give her the ability to fight off the common cold. On top of that, she is allergic to most antibiotics - they put her into anaphalyxis. Two totally unrelated medical issues that go great together. So, yeah, she kind of cleans everything. She also loves jetted tubs. Me, I never liked them. We have one at home, I never use it. Hot tubs on the other hand, I can spend hours in.

-dave

Interesting about the dishwasher pod. Sorry about your wife's condition. While I am anti anti-bac, I do realize it is important and necessary for some. Kind of why I don't do it, to help make sure things are more effective for people who do need it. I hope that her treatments and cleaning do help keep her safe for many years to come.

I'm like you, not into jetted tubs. I do hot tubs though. Wish I could spend days in them at times (I have spinal issues that cause muscular problems).

Phonedave

Interesting about the dishwasher pod. Sorry about your wife's condition. While I am anti anti-bac, I do realize it is important and necessary for some. Kind of why I don't do it, to help make sure things are more effective for people who do need it. I hope that her treatments and cleaning do help keep her safe for many years to come.

I'm like you, not into jetted tubs. I do hot tubs though. Wish I could spend days in them at times (I have spinal issues that cause muscular problems).

Thanks for the well wishes. We don't use a lot of anti-bacterial stuff either. Just things like Lysol, bleach, soap, alcohol, things like that. Bacteria do not build up a resistance to those items.

Pool and Spa water is a "thing" for me. My pool water at home is awesome. I never have algae outbreaks, the water is crystal clear, and nobody every complains about chlorine smell (which is actually the smell of combined cholomines, and mine never get above 0.5 ppm). Public pools and even more so, hot tubs are giant petri dishes, but I still go in them. Disney does do a pretty good job with their pools and spas. Granted, I don't have access to their filters and dosing pumps, but frown what I have seen, they are pretty good about maintaining sanitary conditions.

correcaminos

Thanks for the well wishes. We don't use a lot of anti-bacterial stuff either. Just things like Lysol, bleach, soap, alcohol, things like that. Bacteria do not build up a resistance to those items.

Pool and Spa water is a "thing" for me. My pool water at home is awesome. I never have algae outbreaks, the water is crystal clear, and nobody every complains about chlorine smell (which is actually the smell of combined cholomines, and mine never get above 0.5 ppm). Public pools and even more so, hot tubs are giant petri dishes, but I still go in them. Disney does do a pretty good job with their pools and spas. Granted, I don't have access to their filters and dosing pumps, but frown what I have seen, they are pretty good about maintaining sanitary conditions.

I have friends who do studying and research into the whole resitant bacteria issue and boy did they open my eyes. We even intentionally avoid certain soaps and such. Bleach is fine. Lysol is fine. Most of my cleaning is regular vinegar/water mix. It does a good job and we pull out the others for bigger stuff for when it's more necessary.

I would absolutely love a pool or a hot tub at home. Like you, I still go in them. I do shower or at minimum wash my hands when I am done. I do trust our local pools but I know some of the people who run them ;) I do avoid the indoor water parks though. I get skeeved out by the idea of those.

I try not to worry too much about it while on vacation. We're normal people with normal immune systems and what we do seems to work okay at least.

WWWD

Is there any place that gives historical data on when each DVC resort is busiest - like impossible for 7 months booking? I know EPCOT DVC’s during Food and Wine are almost impossible at 7 months. But, I’ve heard Grand California is easier during September since many locals own there and school is just starting back for the year.

nickys

Premium Member
Is there any place that gives historical data on when each DVC resort is busiest - like impossible for 7 months booking? I know EPCOT DVC’s during Food and Wine are almost impossible at 7 months. But, I’ve heard Grand California is easier during September since many locals own there and school is just starting back for the year.

A couple of people over on the DIS do something like this. Not looked at it but I see people refer to it.

Phonedave

Just remember that DVC is always trying to balance this. This is why they redistribute the points required to stay and they move around the dates of the seasons. If there is a slow period, and a busy period, then they will attempt to make the slow period more desirable by decreasing the points to stay, and they will increase the points to stay in the popular times. Of course, there is not much they can do about something such as Boardwalk area resorts during F&W, but they do try. So, what might have been historically busy 4 years ago, may not be so busy now.

-dave

correcaminos

Just remember that DVC is always trying to balance this. This is why they redistribute the points required to stay and they move around the dates of the seasons. If there is a slow period, and a busy period, then they will attempt to make the slow period more desirable by decreasing the points to stay, and they will increase the points to stay in the popular times. Of course, there is not much they can do about something such as Boardwalk area resorts during F&W, but they do try. So, what might have been historically busy 4 years ago, may not be so busy now.

-dave

They don't make changes that often to address this. In fact very little has been done lately to all resorts to balance anything. Last big change was for weekend points, not seasons. This is the full list of changes made. Very little has been done. They made a change when it was just OKW, and then again in 2010/2011. Those were the only two times massive changes to the whole list of resorts were made. Of course with the exception of Easter/Passover weeks shifting and the like.
  • 1996 – Reallocation of seasons at OKW
  • 2010-2011 – Shift in points from weekday to weekend (done in two parts over 2 years)
  • 2012 – AKV
  • 2013 – BLT and SSR
  • 2016 – Aulani
  • 2017 – SSR (Standard and Preferred categories) and BWV (a few rooms moved from preferred view to standard view)
  • 2018 - AKV changes to value and concierge

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom