Trip Report How did you ever get the kid to like cruising? Sea turtles, mate… sea turtles. Surf n’ Turf 2017

To quote the Jewish Elvis, “Hello Again”. For those interested in a back story leading up to this short and sweet journey towards a series of firsts you can have at it here:
Going for gold, a Disney trip full of firsts!
What turned into the most stressful and ridiculous two day work week, we slept hard and fast to a 04:00 wake up on Wednesday morning. I opted to make breakfast and coffee for the ladies this morning to reduce our number of stops on the way down. I even filled up the night before to make our drive smoother. We cruised through the ATL and soon were filling up in Tifton before 9, half way there! Another 3.5 hours and we were turning on to 192. Lunch was the first order of business and the ladies outvoted me and chose Cracker Barrel. I was hopeful we would hear about our room during lunch but we had not. After lunch we hoped for the best and made for The Grand Floridian and soon we were passing through the gate.
GOPR1678.jpg

GOPR1679.jpg

GOPR1681.jpg

GOPR1684.jpg

As we pulled into the parking lot we still had not heard if our room was ready so I ran in and checked with the DVC desk. Our room was ready! We parked and made our way to our room.
GOPR1685.jpg

GOPR1686.jpg

GOPR1687.jpg

Up next: What a lobby!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
We slept well over the night. I gotta hand it to the VGF, every aspect of our stay was fantastic. We woke to a beautiful view which would be our theme for this trip of sunshine and no rain!
20170202_073258.jpg

20170202_073303.jpg

GOPR1763.jpg

This would be our first cruise where our port arrival time was not when the port first opened which meant we could sleep in, take it slow, and have a later breakfast! We scheduled Kona, our pre-cruise tradition, a little later this go around at 8:15. The plan was to get our breakfast on, monorail back to the resort, then head out. Im happy to say things went as planned and it all started with a fantastic breakfast! We checked in and a minute later we were seated. We had a wonderful server who’s name I am sorry to say I forgot but he was excellent.
GOPR1764.jpg

GOPR1765.jpg

The kid went with some Stitch juice and Laura and I each got a cup of coffee. We broke tradition a little here by not doing a Kona press; at $9/press the price is getting a little too ridiculous for me. The kid went with the ham and cheese omelet with fried potatoes (blurry pic) the portion was HUGE and very good. Laura and I shared the Big Kahuna with wheat toast, plenty for two people. My one gripe with the BK is the size of the pancakes has shrunken significantly since our last visit, see below. It may be nitpicky but it’s a trend we’ve noticed at restaurants across the bubble.
GOPR1766.jpg

GOPR1767.jpg

GOPR1770.jpg

GOPR1768.jpg

Big Kahuna NOW
GOPR1769.jpg

Big Kahuna THEN
20160401_074520.jpg

Again, we had a fantastic meal and hopped on the monorail to head back to our room. After a quick pack and walk through we hit the road!

Up next: The Wonder!

Ariel1986

Sooo not that I need much of an excuse to plan a trip but... MONORAIL HIGHLIGHTERS??
How did I miss these a few months ago! I must go back- I'm sure that they wouldn't be available on the parks app & along with the food & drink that I need to revisit at Trader Sam's, it means I really should plan another trip... ;)

Great report, now GF villas are added to my list also! Look forward to reading more!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Again, we had a late arrival time so there was no need to rush but still, it seemed like we made it to the ship in no time! My main concern with a late arrival time was we would not have covered parking and we would have a high boarding group number. I’m happy to say that both of these concerns are unnecessary! As we pulled in I stopped at the curb to drop off our luggage before parking on level three of the parking deck which is where we normally park and the same level as the walkway to the alternate security checkpoint!
20170202_103252.jpg

GOPR1775.jpg

GOPR1777.jpg

GOPR1778.jpg

We got through security, wine and all ;), and were quickly greeted and directed to the check-in desk. We weer boarding group 4, hooray, and only had to wait a short time to be let in! Then it hit me….I left my Tervis in the car!!! How was I supposed to make all those wonderful Castaway Cocktails without it!?!? I looked a Laura and said “Ill be back” and sprint/walked back through security and to the car to grab my Tervis. I made it back just in time and a minute later they were calling boarding party one.
GOPR1780.jpg

GOPR1781.jpg

20170202_105719.jpg

20170202_105722.jpg

20170202_105756.jpg

GOPR1785.jpg

Now, what you may or may not know is that as you enter the ship you are asked your family name so they can announce it and applaud you as you enter. It’s a pretty cool thing but it also allows for some shenanigans. A few cruises ago we thought it would be hilarious to say we are the McGillicutties, I know, we’re juvenile, but the kid thinks it is funny still so we do it. Here we are being introduced:

Up next: Exploring, eating, and relaxing.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So up to this point all of our boat trips have been on The Dream. The Wonder is a bit smaller than The Dream and things we are accustom to are in different places. But first things first, the main lobby chandelier. This is just a taste as I’m pretty sure I took 100 pictures of this from different angles throughout the trip.
GOPR1787.jpg

Our first mission once on board is to check in at guest services to verify our on board credit and add our Disney gift card to cover the expenses of the trip. Based on the lack of crowd at the port I was really surprised to see the boat was fully booked.
GOPR1788.jpg

GOPR1789.jpg

GOPR1791.jpg

Donald is to The Dream as Ariel is to The Wonder…
GOPR1790.jpg

Getting our bearings
GOPR1792.jpg

So we got our credit squared away and made for top deck to look around and grab some food.
GOPR1793.jpg

GOPR1794.jpg

GOPR1796.jpg

GOPR1795.jpg

GOPR1887.jpg

Now, I made mention of the new shawarma bar on The Wonder in the PTR so I figured what better time than now!! You get to choose between the meats you want then about 12 different toppings to go on top of your choice. The kid, naturally went next door for chicken fingers. What we were really doing hear was just getting an appetizer until the Cabanas line went down.
GOPR1797.jpg

GOPR1798.jpg

GOPR1799.jpg

GOPR1800.jpg

GOPR1802.jpg

GOPR1801.jpg

We decided to try one more app before Cabanas so I went over to Pinocchio’s to grab a few slices.
GOPR1813.jpg

GOPR1814.jpg

GOPR1815.jpg

Up next: Cabanas, securing Castaway Cocktail ingredients, and looking around.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
The line for Cabanas and we finally figured out why. It seems they installed hand washing stations as you enter and despite there being a station at each entrance it took folks a while to get through here. Historically we just get handed a hand wipe as we entered so this was new to us. Once inside it wasn’t that busy and the layout was pretty much spot on to The Dream’s layout with the exception of a few stations just overall a bit smaller.
GOPR1816.jpg

GOPR1822.jpg

GOPR1823.jpg

GOPR1817.jpg

GOPR1818.jpg

GOPR1820.jpg

I wasn’t terribly hungry after our tastings outside but I HAD to get my POG juice for the Castaway Cocktails; mission accomplished! Now all Im waiting on is our room to open so I can get to mixing…
GOPR1821.jpg

Up next: more exploration!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
First up, The Buena Vista Theatre. The kid would visit here a few times during our trip and Laura and I would catch a Rouge One showing too.
GOPR1826.jpg

GOPR1824.jpg

GOPR1825.jpg

We continued on and found the nursery where I felt like a creeper taking the one picture I took inside.
GOPR1827.jpg

GOPR1828.jpg

As promised…
GOPR1830.jpg

GOPR1839.jpg

Then we came upon the Oceaneer club. I’ve got to say, if I was a kid on a cruise I might not leave this place. I was a bit jealous. I’ll admit it wasn’t as cool as the Falcon setup on The Dream but still plenty cool.
GOPR1829.jpg

GOPR1831.jpg

GOPR1832.jpg

GOPR1833.jpg

GOPR1834.jpg

GOPR1835.jpg

GOPR1836.jpg

GOPR1838.jpg

Up next: After Hours

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Moving on, we made our way forward to the night life area of the ship. This was another change from The Dream where most all of the adult venues are aft. We continued wondering if we would just see the same adult venues as The Dream but were pleasantly surprised with what they did with this area.
GOPR1840.jpg

As you move in you are greeted with one of two entrances to Azure, more to come on this venue in a bit.
GOPR1841.jpg

A little further ahead is Cadillac Lounge. The theming in the place was phenomenal. The front grill bar was pretty awesome as were the wheel themed tables.
GOPR1843.jpg

GOPR1844.jpg

GOPR1845.jpg

GOPR1846.jpg

GOPR1847.jpg

GOPR1848.jpg

The current view from the lounge.
GOPR1842.jpg

Up next: Crown & Fin and Azure

lostpro9het

Original Poster
We continued on and passed the forward elevators and turned left to fine Crown & Fin. My preconceived vision of C&F was simply a 687 with a different overlay. Once again, blown away! C&F is HUGE with so much more than what 687 has to offer. There is a ton of theming, a ton of seating, and a ton of games to play while just hanging out. Like 687, C&F has a custom brew that I’ll talk more about later. C&F also has a food bar that they open up during the evening, that too will come later.
GOPR1849.jpg

GOPR1850.jpg

GOPR1851.jpg

GOPR1852.jpg

GOPR1853.jpg

GOPR1854.jpg

GOPR1856.jpg

GOPR1857.jpg

GOPR1858.jpg

GOPR1859.jpg

GOPR1860.jpg

GOPR1861.jpg

GOPR1862.jpg

Up next: Azure, more Wonder, and our room.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So directly across the hall from Crown and Fin is the second entrance to Azure. This location would play host to most all the adult entertainment we took part in during the trip. The layout is more open and larger feeling than Evolution on the dream. The lighting and design was pretty cool.
GOPR1868.jpg

GOPR1867.jpg

GOPR1863.jpg

GOPR1864.jpg

GOPR1865.jpg

GOPR1866.jpg

Our room wasn’t ready yet so we made our way to the top deck to explore more but not before exploring the mid decks along the way.
GOPR1869.jpg

GOPR1875.jpg

GOPR1876.jpg

Here is the corridor leading to the Walt Disney Theatre
GOPR1870.jpg

GOPR1871.jpg

GOPR1872.jpg

As promised…
GOPR1873.jpg

Up next: Exploring the adult pool and the room is ready!

coachwnh

Just messaged my growler guys so we'll see. That looks right up my ally too. Is it sold in 4 or 6 packs?
I got it as part of a mix your own six at my local distributor (liquor laws are odd in PA :banghead:) I thought it tasted like a stonger Golden Monkey Its listed at 10%, and it tasted like it. Some 10s are easy. This was more a sipper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom