Trip Report How did you ever get the kid to like cruising? Sea turtles, mate… sea turtles. Surf n’ Turf 2017

To quote the Jewish Elvis, “Hello Again”. For those interested in a back story leading up to this short and sweet journey towards a series of firsts you can have at it here:
Going for gold, a Disney trip full of firsts!
What turned into the most stressful and ridiculous two day work week, we slept hard and fast to a 04:00 wake up on Wednesday morning. I opted to make breakfast and coffee for the ladies this morning to reduce our number of stops on the way down. I even filled up the night before to make our drive smoother. We cruised through the ATL and soon were filling up in Tifton before 9, half way there! Another 3.5 hours and we were turning on to 192. Lunch was the first order of business and the ladies outvoted me and chose Cracker Barrel. I was hopeful we would hear about our room during lunch but we had not. After lunch we hoped for the best and made for The Grand Floridian and soon we were passing through the gate.
GOPR1678.jpg

GOPR1679.jpg

GOPR1681.jpg

GOPR1684.jpg

As we pulled into the parking lot we still had not heard if our room was ready so I ran in and checked with the DVC desk. Our room was ready! We parked and made our way to our room.
GOPR1685.jpg

GOPR1686.jpg

GOPR1687.jpg

Up next: What a lobby!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So after a quick change we made for Trader Sams. It was before 4 and I was worried we might be overestimating the popularity of the venue on a Wednesday by arriving so early; boy was I wrong again! There was already a sizable group waiting and more coming in after us. We gave our names, body count, and were given a pager.
20170201_155530.jpg

GOPR1737.jpg

It was just a few minutes later and our pager went off. I was a little leery as it looked like our name was far down the list and I was concerned we would be standing I was pleasantly surprised to see several tables were open when we went in and we ended up sitting under the tiki goddess that would come alive whenever an Uh-Oh was ordered, and at least two did get ordered! The CMs in this venue were fantastic and very enthusiastic; regardless of how many times the same drink got ordered. You may also know that this venue is very dark making it difficult to get good pictures without a flash. So I tried my best not to be “That Guest” and my pictures might reflect that.
GOPR1739.jpg

GOPR1740.jpg

GOPR1741.jpg

GOPR1743.jpg

GOPR1744.jpg

There is an Uh-Oh being served.
GOPR1745.jpg

Up next: “What did I just eat!?!?”

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
The CMs in this venue were fantastic and very enthusiastic; regardless of how many times the same drink got ordered. You may also know that this venue is very dark making it difficult to get good pictures without a flash. So I tried my best not to be “That Guest” and my pictures might reflect that.

Agreed on the enthusiasm of the TS staff, and your photos are a very good representation of what to expect--it is DARK in there!

Awaiting the rest, to tide me over until I get on the Magic in JUST 10 DAYS. :D

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So we knew ahead of time that we were going to do some drinks and tapas. We started out with a HippopotoMai-Tai and a Shrunken Zombie Head. They were both fruity and flavorful but I didn’t taste any alcohol. I soon learned that these were just ninja drinks that silently crept up on you then kicked your . Thankfully I didn’t order a few more to compensate ahead of time. We let Sam keep his fancy mugs because, let’s be honest, I’ve got plenty of cups at home and the price point on the hardware was not appealing.
GOPR1742.jpg

20170201_163030.jpg

20170201_163137.jpg

As for food, we all shared the following:
Pan fried dumplings
20170201_163752.jpg

Roasted Chicken and Pork Pâte Báhn Mì Sliders (more on this in a minute)
20170201_163815.jpg

Kalua Pork Tacos
20170201_163822.jpg

Corn-battered Portuguese Sausages
20170201_163828.jpg

The food was excellent but I was surprised the ladies were not digging the sliders. We still had one and a half left and I asked what was up when Laura laid it on me. She said the idea of pork pate was just not appealing to her. “Wait…what!?!?” I thought to myself. She said , “yeah, its chicken and pork pate…” In my overwhelmed state of Trader Sams euphoria I hastily read “Roasted Chicken and Pork Pâte Báhn Mì Sliders” as “Roasted Chicken and Pork Sliders”… I had visions of organ meat paste when I think the ninjaness of the drinks kicked in and I had an Aunt Edna moment before finishing off the sliders.
AFETIO.gif

I won’t lie, up to that point I was quite enjoying them and even after learning what I was actually eating still enjoyed it. I’m not sure I’d order them again just because im a food hypocrite and the idea of pate still doesn’t sit right with me but I am thankful the Trader Sams libations got me through it!

Still to come: Parent time at MK.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
So we knew ahead of time that we were going to do some drinks and tapas. We started out with a HippopotoMai-Tai and a Shrunken Zombie Head. They were both fruity and flavorful but I didn’t taste any alcohol. I soon learned that these were just ninja drinks that silently crept up on you then kicked your ***. Thankfully I didn’t order a few more to compensate ahead of time. We let Sam keep his fancy mugs because, let’s be honest, I’ve got plenty of cups at home and the price point on the hardware was not appealing.
GOPR1742.jpg

20170201_163030.jpg

20170201_163137.jpg

As for food, we all shared the following:
Pan fried dumplings
20170201_163752.jpg

Roasted Chicken and Pork Pâte Báhn Mì Sliders (more on this in a minute)
20170201_163815.jpg

Kalua Pork Tacos
20170201_163822.jpg

Corn-battered Portuguese Sausages
20170201_163828.jpg

The food was excellent but I was surprised the ladies were not digging the sliders. We still had one and a half left and I asked what was up when Laura laid it on me. She said the idea of pork pate was just not appealing to her. “Wait…what!?!?” I thought to myself. She said , “yeah, its chicken and pork pate…” In my overwhelmed state of Trader Sams euphoria I hastily read “Roasted Chicken and Pork Pâte Báhn Mì Sliders” as “Roasted Chicken and Pork Sliders”… I had visions of organ meat paste when I think the ninjaness of the drinks kicked in and I had an Aunt Edna moment before finishing off the sliders.
AFETIO.gif

I won’t lie, up to that point I was quite enjoying them and even after learning what I was actually eating still enjoyed it. I’m not sure I’d order them again just because im a food hypocrite and the idea of pate still doesn’t sit right with me but I am thankful the Trader Sams libations got me through it!

You nearly caused Em and I to have an "accident" on the interstate we were laughing so hard!!
Aunt Edna sent us over the edge.

Zipadeelady

She said the idea of pork pate was just not appealing to her. “Wait…what!?!?” I thought to myself. She said , “yeah, its chicken and pork pate…” In my overwhelmed state of Trader Sams euphoria I hastily read “Roasted Chicken and Pork Pâte Báhn Mì Sliders” as “Roasted Chicken and Pork Sliders”… I had visions of organ meat paste when I think the ninjaness of the drinks kicked in and I had an Aunt Edna moment before finishing off the sliders.
AFETIO.gif

How do come up with this stuff :hilarious: . The pork tacos look delicious.

Zipadeelady

I'd definitely do Trader Sam's again for drinks. The food was good, but I can get better food elsewhere. It was such a fun place to hang out. I wanted one of the pearls really bad, but the drink was creamy and yeah...no.
I love RumChata so I'll get the drink and you can have the Pearl!! When I was looking at their menu I actually thought it was a real pearl. :oops: I mean you can Pick a Pearl for $15.... I know I had a moment. :rolleyes: It didn't take long to realize I was mistaken. Now I don't want their pearl drink since it's not a real pearl.:happy: Did anyone try the Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum?

How are the pot stickers? Are they the same ones from Ohana?

imahistorygeek

I love RumChata so I'll get the drink and you can have the Pearl!! Did anyone try the Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum? How are the pot stickers? Are they the same ones from Ohana?

You have a deal on the pearl! I don't think we had that drink, just the two mentioned. I don't believe potstickers tasted the same. They seemed a step above, but honestly, I can't be 100% sure. They were good.

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
I love RumChata so I'll get the drink and you can have the Pearl!! When I was looking at their menu I actually thought it was a real pearl. :oops: I mean you can Pick a Pearl for $15.... I know I had a moment. :rolleyes: It didn't take long to realize I was mistaken. Now I don't want their pearl drink since it's not a real pearl.:happy: Did anyone try the Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum?

How are the pot stickers? Are they the same ones from Ohana?

I think @bee tried the Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum during her live TR.

bee

We saw the same server (blonde with bangs) yesterday at the outdoor part of Trader Sam's.

Did anyone try the Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum?

I think @bee tried the Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum during her live TR.
Yes, I did! I liked it even though I'm not usually a sweet drinks person. I can also attest that the drinks sneak up on you! I didn't taste the alcohol AT ALL in the Tiki...Rum but it wasn't long before I was feeling it.

@lostpro9het Love the photos of the VGF room and lobby! We walked by the outside of the building yesterday and it really looks delightful.

Zipadeelady

We saw the same server (blonde with bangs) yesterday at the outdoor part of Trader Sam's.

Yes, I did! I liked it even though I'm not usually a sweet drinks person. I can also attest that the drinks sneak up on you! I didn't taste the alcohol AT ALL in the Tiki...Rum but it wasn't long before I was feeling it.

@lostpro9het Love the photos of the VGF room and lobby! We walked by the outside of the building yesterday and it really looks delightful.
Then the Tiki Tiki Rum is what I'm going to order!!!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So after a fun time at Trader Sam’s the DW and I made for MK via the monorail. We dropped the kid off at GF where she decided to try out one of her bath bombs which, as it turns out, had a small pokemon hidden in the middle. As we entered the park we were pleasantly surprised at how mild the crowds were. First up on our plate was Space Mountain. As you can see, my attempt to produce an authentic @Tuvalu ride pic was again thwarted by Tuvalu’s mad hacking skills. This time, rather than simply deleting my picture, she opted to replace my ride pictures with those of other guests. Well done @Tuvalu…well done.
GOPR1746.jpg

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_7938525697.jpeg

Tonight was about leisure and going wherever so we took the smoker’s path over to fantasyland(no we’re not smokers). We were on a mission to buy a new notebook created to look like an old school VHS tape. Laura saw it online before we came down and was excited about the BATB version. We saw it at Big Top souvenirs but didn’t want to carry it around all night so we decided to pick it up later (more to come on that fiasco).
GOPR1747.jpg

GOPR1748.jpg

After some browsing we made for Dumbo which was a walk on.
GOPR1750.jpg

20170201_180028.jpg

Next, we made for LM, also walk on but no surprise there.
GOPR1751.jpg

We continued on towards Adventureland to ride JC, Pirates, and then cash in our BTM FP. We made a stop along the way to take in IASM.
GOPR1753.jpg

GOPR1754.jpg

We took our cruise, battled with pirates, and hit BTM before our SDMT FP was ready. Wishes was going off while we were on the ride so we got to see some overhead fireworks during our short journey.
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_7938666661.jpeg

20170201_200501.jpg

20170201_200419.jpg

When we got off SDMT Wishes was still going on but we still had not picked up Laura’s notebook so we made for Bonjour Village Gift…WHICH WAS CLOSED ALREADY!!!! It was only a minute or two after 8pm and they were closed!! So we went over to Big Top and guess what? CLOSED!!! I was really feeling bad about not getting Laura her book before. She accepted that we probably wouldn’t be getting her notebook tonight and we made towards Haunted Mansion. We noticed that Peter Pan was walk on!! Folks were still watching Wishes so we considered this a win and took a flight before heading to HM
20170201_202627.jpg

20170201_204708.jpg

It was probably around 9-9:30 and we had done a bunch of riding and decided it was a good time to go. We could get plenty of rest before the Wonder. On our way towards main street we hit up a CM for a photo op just in time for the castle lights to go out…:cautious:
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_7938699338.jpeg

On our way out we held a hope and went to the Emporium with a plan to get Laura’s notebook. Thankfully they were still open and, SCORE, they had the notebook!
GOPR1755.jpg

GOPR1756.jpg

GOPR1757.jpg

GOPR1758.jpg

With that we took a boat ride back to the GF and enjoyed the lobby for a minute before heading to the room.

Up next: Beautiful morning and a wonderful breakfast!

jaklgreen

*can testify that the drinks from Trader Sam's sneak up on you*

This past weekend I had my first experience at Trader Sams, and it was a blast!

@imahistorygeek , we felt the same on the pearl...just didn't want to try to stomach a creamy drink. I got an Uh Oa, Zombie, and Hippopotomaitai.

That is the nature of rum. You are sitting down and drinking and feel just fine. As soon as you get up, it's like being hit by a truck. LOL I love rum, it's my alcohol of choice. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom