How could Galaxy's Edge go wrong?

DeletedAccount55555

Original Poster
So with all the hype and anticipation surrounding Galaxy's Edge, it's become a given that the new lands will be a massive success, draw massive crowds for years and be the most immersive lands Disney has ever built.

All of that seems likely.....but what if assumptions are wrong?

Therefore, I'd like to discuss ways Galaxy's Edge could fall short of expectations or fail, just for the sake of speculation.

A few off the top of my head:
-What if all the hype scares away visitors?
-What if the massive crowds do come and Disney doesn't provide them a satisfactory experience? (Like not being able to get into the land at all)
-What if creating a new location -- rather than recreating a familiar Star Wars locale -- ends up being a negative for guests?
-What if the attractions aren't the huge leaps in tech or experience they're hyped as?

Please speculate wildly!

Kamikaze

I'm concerned about all of the interactive experiences and such. Harry Potter was a nightmare for the first year and a half (a beautiful nightmare) without the hotel-thingy and everything else. I think it'll be survival of the fittest. You won't find me there for a while.

The hotel won't be open for years.

ppete1975

IF the rides aren't reliable, and have some issues that cause massive downtimes. If effects don't work all the time or correctly (yeti, pirates mermaids) . If it takes longer to get people on and off than they expect, if the wait times are just not worth the experience.

Kamikaze

Probably saving it for the 50th, right around the time where Star Wars: Galaxy Edge should be running smoothly.

I don't think it will be even open then. We're only two years from the 50th and they haven't started construction yet. I'd say more like 2022 or 23.

Frontierland's Finest

I think the worst thing that could happen to GE is the crowds ruining the experience for everybody. I can't really see myself waiting 3 hours to get in the land and then waiting another 3 hours to ride one of the two attractions and then not having room to get something from either the quick service or full service restaurants.

The only other thing I can think of that would hurt GE would be a massive downtime with both attractions on the first days of operation, which actually isn't too farfetched from happening.

RonAnnArbor

I honestly can't see ANYTHING going wrong for SW:GE...the hype and huge crowds will keep it filled for years - they are even building larger areas to accommodate entrance and exit (although it is going to be a disaster for awhile as they use Toy Story Land as the primary entrance as the main gate won't be ready for awhile as they still work on the hotel and other stuff around it). As we saw with Flight of Passage this past two weeks, even 5 HOUR WAITS didn't deter the crowds from waiting for that ride. Expect this to be the biggest thing to happen at WDW - of Harry Potter at Universal proportions.

DeletedAccount55555

Original Poster
All I can say is, if you thought the Pandora crowds were bad... Ya ain't seen nuthin' yet. Star Wars is hugely more popular than Avatar and this land looks to be better too.

One thing Galaxy's Edge has going for it is the likely popularity of its two attractions. I could easily see crowds splitting in half choosing to go to Falcon or Rise of the Resistance first thing in the morning. For Pandora, seems like everyone in Animal Kingdom heads straight to FoP.

It's also possible some families may decide to hit Mickey and Minnie or Slinky Dog first, even if it's a bad idea to do so.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Based on the definition of "Go Wrong".....

I think there will be detractors. The armchair imagineers will come out and say "They should have done this....they should have done that....I can't believe they did this....." Some of it may be warranted, much of it not.

At the end of the day - financially - SWL will "Go Right". Not to say things won't be tweaked based on feedback. I think the only thing that could "Go Wrong" at this point is the MF collapsing on top of a crowd of guests on opening day. (Well, that and a Vice Admiral Holdo Meet and Greet)

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I honestly can't see ANYTHING going wrong for SW:GE...the hype and huge crowds will keep it filled for years - they are even building larger areas to accommodate entrance and exit (although it is going to be a disaster for awhile as they use Toy Story Land as the primary entrance as the main gate won't be ready for awhile as they still work on the hotel and other stuff around it). As we saw with Flight of Passage this past two weeks, even 5 HOUR WAITS didn't deter the crowds from waiting for that ride. Expect this to be the biggest thing to happen at WDW - of Harry Potter at Universal proportions.

Not sure what you mean by "primary entrance as the main gate won't be ready for awhile ". The main entrance and exist to the land are Toy Story Land and Grand Ave near Muppets both of which are complete so will be ready for the opening of the land. The hotel isn't near the public areas of the land and will have it's own dedicated entrance that won't impact the two guest entrances.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
What could go wrong.... ?

Three words, Jar Jar Binks. ;)

main-qimg-8e2685250b0dc2672601ef6dd06c6736

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Focusing only on The Studios SWGE, I could see a scenario where the internal numbers don’t meet the high expectations. Don’t get me wrong, it will be very popular, but I can see how it could be possible that factors such as crowding, cost, and the fact SWGE will exist on two coasts putting a dent in attendance expectations. Studios SWGE opens 4-6 months after DL, that also may suck up some of the enthusiasm as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom