How close are you to WDW?

raven

I guess.
Two years ago (two Augusts ago), the heavens opened every evening. It was horrific, especially to the Disney Guest who dreams of Florida sunshine and not "liquid" sunshine as they count down the days.
My own mother in NY was texting me to seek shelter one evening as a wicked cell just sat on top of WDW. After waiting 45 minutes under a small awning near Guest Relations outside MK, we took off our socks and sneakers, placed them in the clear, plastic backpack my husband carries, and ran barefoot for the monorail.
Normally we would walk back to BLT, but running knee-deep in puddles while ground lightning struck all around was stressful enough. I also didn't want to spend my evening blow drying our sneakers for the next day of magic.
It was horrible. It seemed to take forever. But - we were in WDW. We spent a glorious day in the MK. We went "home" to BLT/The Contemporary. We were sad it was nasty, but we were happy.
I would choose that evening a thousands times over the evening I am having right now on Long Island typing this in my kitchen.
But you had an awning to stand under. Since they moved security around there is no longer cover while waiting on a tram at the TTC. Also they actually kept hundreds of guests out in the rain for over 30 minutes at the MK ferry boat dock instead of letting them stand in the area under the awning. People were yelling at the CMs to let the crowd inside of the covered area but they wouldn't. Then we watched as only 1 ferry boat left the area to head to TTC while the other 2 ferrys sat docked at the TTC. It just was a bad ending to a day at the MK that could've been prevented had transportation been prepared.

Disney4family

But you had an awning to stand under. Since they moved security around there is no longer cover while waiting on a tram at the TTC. Also they actually kept hundreds of guests out in the rain for over 30 minutes at the MK ferry boat dock instead of letting them stand in the area under the awning. People were yelling at the CMs to let the crowd inside of the covered area but they wouldn't. Then we watched as only 1 ferry boat left the area to head to TTC while the other 2 ferrys sat docked at the TTC. It just was a bad ending to a day at the MK that could've been prevented had transportation been prepared.
I'm sorry for your experience.
We have had our own "scratch heads and wonder" experiences, too, at the magical world of WDW.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Sounds super magical, I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope you let Guest Services know about your experience.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Meh, I tweeted at them. Not looking to get anything out of it. Just wanted to bring it to their attention.

Wasn't implying that you should personally get anything out of it, but letting them know it's a problem helps them know it needs to be corrected. Not sure tweeting at them is helpful, but maybe it is.

wwmmd

You drove?! How long did that take? How did you live during the drive home after running around DW the whole time? Your family is brave and courageous. And totally committed to the Mouse. I applaud you!

:joyfull: Yes, many times. It takes about 16 hours one way. We've driven straight through and other times we've stopped at a hotel or stayed with family in Savannah. We have a lot of family in Orlando so it made more sense to drive (and it's much cheaper).

Mammymouse

57 miles from driveway (Sebring) to Disneyworld Welcome sign, which takes about 90 minutes unless I4 is backed up. We've been Florida residents 11 years and had been annual passholders for about 10 years, but did not renew last year when the new pricing and different plans came out. Just couldn't accept the price increase on the premiere and lower price plans don't fit with our visiting style so we've had to get creative by doing 3 or 4 day resident passes. We have a granddaughter aged 13 and our visiting times revolve around summer and school vacation times so the lower priced plans don't work for us. We are DVC so we go for long weekends sometimes but bookings are hard to get last minute in recent years compared to 5 or so years ago. Still love to go but we're getting priced out and sad :( things have changed so much.

Sonconato

Even though it wasn't nearly as bad as your experience, my family and I had a bad experience Saturday. It took us an hour to get from MK to GF via the resort monorail. Before we went anywhere there was a "medical emergency" that took about thirty minutes. At the TTC, the gates to the express monorail didn't work so everyone from there flooded into our monorail. Needless to say, the whole endeavor was a very long process.

GlassHalfFull

My parents live less than 2 miles from the castle.. when I visit we watch the fireworks from their front porch almost every night.. It's a GREAT place to stay without paying Disney Resort prices..

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
It's really amazing how awful leaving the MK is during inclement weather. I don't know why but it seems like every one running the show has a blight of stupid hit when a storm rolls in. That should be a time when every possible resource is pulled to get guests back to the parking lot asap.

I wonder if they have to pay hazard pay when it's storming.

DABIGCHEEZ

It's really amazing how awful leaving the MK is during inclement weather. I don't know why but it seems like every one running the show has a blight of stupid hit when a storm rolls in. That should be a time when every possible resource is pulled to get guests back to the parking lot asap.

Or they are thinking... We know they will all seek shelter in our stores and restaurants, so....LET THEM SPEND MORE MONEY!!!!

FrostyNaples

I've always envied those who live in Florida, have their annual passes, and can just go to WDW at the drop of a hat or as the mood strikes. How close do some of you live to WDW and how often would you say you visit?

3hrs from SWFL

The FL based AP pricing is attractive, and we visit as often as feasable.

I don't do day trips, 6hrs round trip with Disney in the middle doesn't work for me.

We enjoy the staycations

jloucks

Another textbook example of bad customer service. I had one with the Ferryboats myself. Long story super short, their habit of only filling boats half way up (to save room at other stops) leads to a bad customer service presentation.

jloucks

I've always envied those who live in Florida, have their annual passes, and can just go to WDW at the drop of a hat or as the mood strikes. How close do some of you live to WDW and how often would you say you visit?
3 hours by plane. Average has been once every 18 months. Sadly, visit averages are about to decrease as the kids are about to move out.

laben594

We are in southwest FL, it takes us 2.5 hours on a good day :D we have never done a day trip though, I worry we would be too tired to drive home

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom