How close are you to WDW?

Goofyernmost

1,206 miles from my house to the Fort. We've driven the past two trips; it's not always fun, but it's better than paying for five plane tickets!
Made many road trips from Vermont years ago. 1500 miles, but, I love road trips. I don't overdue it and only drive a certain number of miles before I stop for the night. It was much longer on the way home though, but, still always fun for me.

Cosmic Commando

Made many road trips from Vermont years ago. 1500 miles, but, I love road trips. I don't overdue it and only drive a certain number of miles before I stop for the night. It was much longer on the way home though, but, still always fun for me.
That's something we're struggling with. We're fine with driving straight through on the way down, but looking for some way to break up the drive back. Done the trip back in one shot both times, and you're very right that it is longer on the way home.

Goofyernmost

That's something we're struggling with. We're fine with driving straight through on the way down, but looking for some way to break up the drive back. Done the trip back in one shot both times, and you're very right that it is longer on the way home.
To me, rest is the answer. Pick a spot either half way or 2/3rds of the way home and target that for one day. Rest and have a shorter run on the last day. For me it made all the difference in the world. Either direction that helped. Going there I chose a first day 12 hour drive, the next day and 8 hour and many times on the third day a 4 hour drive. I'd get to my hotel early, have time to scope out the immediate area, never tried to go to WDW on the day I arrived (didn't want to waste a whole days ticket for just a few hours unless it was DTD). Then a good nights sleep, rested and ready to go the next morning. Not for everyone, but, I found that worked for me. The one time I did it differently, I spent my entire day in MK dragging my butt behind me, tired and sporting a headache, it lost a lot of charm. To me the journey was as much fun as the destination. Everyone is in so much of a hurry that a lot is missed in my opinion.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
About 120 miles. On a good day takes an hour 45 driveway to MK parking lot. Can make it to Uni in about an hour 30 because it's right off the turnpike and I-4 (exit 259). Looking forward to the completion of the Central Florida Parkway project and the west exit. Might cut down the time slightly to WDW.

I usually go about 6 times a year on a 3 to 4 night stay -- and another dozen times or so on a one night'er or day trip.

Jeff456

4249 miles... a little bit far. In an ideal world I would go every two years, not sure what will happen after this trip though, the £ is very weak at the moment the prices have gone up significantly!

Tater48

14 miles from driveway (Champions Gate / Reunion area) to the parking lot at Magic Kingdom. We can sit out back at the pool and hear the nightly fireworks.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
North Florida, so 4 hours from front door to the Gate on Western Way - and that's with 2 bathroom stops.

Used to go just about every month, but now it's down to 3 times per year. However, so far this year, I've visited 4 times. And my daughter just asked if we can go in August (horrors - the heat, the crowds!) since they want to visit Pandora and noticed I have points left in this use year (I'm DVC). So I said yes.....

MissingDisney

1,206 miles from my house to the Fort. We've driven the past two trips; it's not always fun, but it's better than paying for five plane tickets!
When flights were cheaper, that was the way to go. But now-it's gotten ridiculous! The last few years we've been down at least once, usually twice, a year. So the trade off is.....ROAD TRIP! The kids don't seem to mind it much and now that we'll have a third driver in the bunch for the November trip, I'm hoping it'll be even easier.

Last edited:

Raineman

To me, rest is the answer. Pick a spot either half way or 2/3rds of the way home and target that for one day. Rest and have a shorter run on the last day. For me it made all the difference in the world. Either direction that helped. Going there I chose a first day 12 hour drive, the next day and 8 hour and many times on the third day a 4 hour drive. I'd get to my hotel early, have time to scope out the immediate area, never tried to go to WDW on the day I arrived (didn't want to waste a whole days ticket for just a few hours unless it was DTD). Then a good nights sleep, rested and ready to go the next morning. Not for everyone, but, I found that worked for me. The one time I did it differently, I spent my entire day in MK dragging my butt behind me, tired and sporting a headache, it lost a lot of charm. To me the journey was as much fun as the destination. Everyone is in so much of a hurry that a lot is missed in my opinion.
Taking 3 days to get there is a great way to do it. The only time we have done the road trip, we did it in 2 days, but, with a rockslide on I75 in Tennessee causing a 4 1/2 hour detour, it took us 20 hours just to get to southern Georgia where we stopped for the night. We made it to WDW by early afternoon the next day, but I was so worn out from the day before that I didn't feel well at all, and we did the same thing you mentioned-we relaxed at our resort that first day, slept well, and headed to the parks the next day. The detour in Tennessee was interesting, driving down narrow mountain roads with a rock face on one side of the road, and a large drop off on the other side.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Taking 3 days to get there is a great way to do it. The only time we have done the road trip, we did it in 2 days, but, with a rockslide on I75 in Tennessee causing a 4 1/2 hour detour, it took us 20 hours just to get to southern Georgia where we stopped for the night. We made it to WDW by early afternoon the next day, but I was so worn out from the day before that I didn't feel well at all, and we did the same thing you mentioned-we relaxed at our resort that first day, slept well, and headed to the parks the next day. The detour in Tennessee was interesting, driving down narrow mountain roads with a rock face on one side of the road, and a large drop off on the other side.

:eek:

Done something similar driving up the Cali coast on Pacific Coast Highway. One side, walls of rocks...other side drop off into the ocean. Especially fun when it's foggy.....

Disney4family

Not only can I see MK fireworks from my home, but can hear the train whistles, boat horns and often even the music from the Electrical Water Parade while walking my dog late at night.
yoda-green-with-envy-i-am.jpg

Raineman

:eek:

Done something similar driving up the Cali coast on Pacific Coast Highway. One side, walls of rocks...other side drop off into the ocean. Especially fun when it's foggy.....
There were supposed to be 2 detour routes-one for northbound, one for southbound. Well, there was an accident on the southbound detour, so everyone had to take the northbound detour. Those mountain roads were not made for heavy traffic-there were many times where there was almost no room when a transport truck was passing on the other side of the road. I was white knuckling it all the way LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom