How can I surprie my son?

rkillin

I have been to Disney around 15 times. The first time was in December 1971 at the age of 9. I now have two almost grown daughters, (17 and 20,) and a 7 year old son.

My son LOVES to go camping and we go 4 or 5 times a year. He gets out of school on Tuesday the 6th of June. On June 7th he thinks we are going "camping" for 6 days.

Actually, we are going to Disney staying at Port Orleans Riverside. We are flying From Richmond VA.

My question is, any suggestions of how and when to best surprise him? Two years ago we took all our kids to our favorite Chinese restaurant and had the owner substitute new fortune cookies that we secretly replaced the messages in. Most of them were vague clues, but my son's said, "You are going to Disney World!" It was a pretty special meal.

That is a little tough to top, but I was hoping for some suggestions from the "Church of Disney" (That's you guys)

Thanks

Rick

All I can say is..know your kid. I go to the library with my four year old every two weeks and last time I decided to get her own library card. I was so excited, 'cause I read like it's my job and I assumed she felt the same way. I was stunned by the resulting hysterics...apparently this little one didn't feel "ready" (her words!!) for this.

That said, in retrospect I wish we had gone for the surprise approach. We've been talking about it for weeks and I think we've accidentally built up a level of expectation. Not for the kids...for the grown ups : (

Upvote 0

fers31

Woody13 said:
To tell you the truth, at the age of 7, WDW would not be as much fun as camping IMO. :wave:

Riiiiight....seeing all of your favorite character up close, going on rides, fireworks, and eating different things......or sleeping on dirt. That's a tough one. :veryconfu

Upvote 0

Woody13

fers31 said:
Riiiiight....seeing all of your favorite character up close, going on rides, fireworks, and eating different things......or sleeping on dirt. That's a tough one. :veryconfu
A lot of young men at the age of seven enjoy learning about the great outdoors. Camping trips are not only fun, but very educational as well. Learning about basic survival skills, first aid, etiquette of the woods, getting lost (and what to do), orienteering, map reading, how to use a compass, how to use the stars to find your position, how to build a safe campfire, outdoor cooking and knots are just some of the basic skills.

Many children enjoy learning such skills. It all depends upon the child. At the age of seven I would have much rather gone on a camping trip than to any theme park. :wave:

What could be more fun than being caught in a blizzard in the Colorado Rockies in April? :lol:

Upvote 0

rkillin

Original Poster
I was actually a little concerned about that. My son LOVES camping. I thought he might be a little disappointed, but then gradually get over it.

My concerns were unfounded. We played the game and when he picked his "life" card he first was indignant that it was not a proper card. he said "wait a second, this is not a real life card." I said "read it." After he read it he was in shock for about 10 seconds and the he said "ARE YOU SERIOUS!"

He was toast for the rest of the evening. He insisted we pack right then and there. Which I love! My wife's, whom I love dearly, idea of early planning is if the clothes in the dryer are almost dry before we leave for the airport.

I love my wife, my daughters, and each and every trip we have taken to Disney. However, getting up at the crack of dawn, eating an early breakfast, and then wondering why the buses aren't running 2 hours before park opening with my son is going to be a BLAST! :sohappy:

Rick

Upvote 0

Woody13

rkillin said:
I was actually a little concerned about that. My son LOVES camping. I thought he might be a little disappointed, but then gradually get over it.

My concerns were unfounded. We played the game and when he picked his "life" card he first was indignant that it was not a proper card. he said "wait a second, this is not a real life card." I said "read it." After he read it he was in shock for about 10 seconds and the he said "ARE YOU SERIOUS!"

He was toast for the rest of the evening. He insisted we pack right then and there. Which I love! My wife's, whom I love dearly, idea of early planning is if the clothes in the dryer are almost dry before we leave for the airport.
That is great to hear. I'm glad that he is so excited!

rkillin said:
I love my wife, my daughters, and each and every trip we have taken to Disney. However, getting up at the crack of dawn, eating an early breakfast, and then wondering why the buses aren't running 2 hours before park opening with my son is going to be a BLAST! :sohappy:

Rick
Sounds a lot like camping. I think you're killing two birds with one stone! :D :wave:

Upvote 0

Chape19714

If you have some extra time, take your son to explore the Fort Wilderness, and show him what Disney Camping is! Disney Camping-The only Camping I know!

Upvote 0

DPirate

:sohappy: We once surprised our kids with a treasure hunt that ended with a clue on a cardboard Mickey that read"Come see me, love Mickey" We drove and were several states away and the kids were still saying "No, really where are we going? It was so much fun.

Upvote 0

clarkstallings

My parents have surprised my sister and I with trips to WDW several times. The best however, was when I was in eighth grade, they picked us up from school. It was the last day of school until the New Year so it was mid December. Well, we got in the car and they told us not to put our back packs in the back, and that they had been Christmas shopping and that there were presents back there (luggage.) Well they told us that they had more errands to run and we'd just have to bear it. We get on the interstate which was also the way to go to the mall and my mom hands my sister and I mickey and minnie ornaments. We think nothing of it. Then my dad passes back this old wooden cap gun they bought me at the pirates shop when i was like three (pre orange tip on barrell days) and says "you'll be needing this to defend yourself from the pirates." Then we knew and it was great. So out of the blue. The other trips I'd always managed to notice something that gave it away. I once saw 407 W Disney on the phonebill so that gave a trip away.

Upvote 0

rkillin

Original Poster
Were off!

We are waiting at the gate about 30 minutes from boarding and the emotions are starting to hit me hard. What is it about a trip to Disney that came make me cry. I am a grown man. I have been to Hawaii, Cruises, Hollywood etc. Nothing gets me weepy like WDW.

I had a moment of sheer glee on the way to the airport relating to my previous post. Our flight is at 11:AM. We live 30 minutes from the airport and we were leaving at 9:20. My wife was driving us the the airport and wanted to know why we need to leave SO early for the airport. AAARRRGGGHHH!

OK, I am almost always early for everything, but getting to the airport 1 hour and 10 minutes before your flight takes off? Thats not early on my planet. Which is admittedly planet early but still...

Getting up early WITHOUT a big fight for the bathroom, or blow dryer, or whatever... This is going to be a great trip!

Rick

Upvote 0

rkillin

Original Poster
Three days in and we are having a blast.

This is a very different trip then I have ever experienced.

First, it's just my son and I. Second, it is the first trip we have taken in close to peak season and in the summer heat of Florida. IT is REALLY hot, (96 today,) and much more crowded that we are used too. So this is the way most people do Disney. hmm?

We have been hitting the parks super early and coming back to Riverside to swim every afternoon. Honestly, it is pretty fun and relaxing. Different, but actually a nice change.

I think I have discovered one of the biggest advantages of coming to Disney fairly often. Assuming one can afford it. You can relax a lot more and not stress the number of rides you get to in a day. I think the annual pass helps as well. If you pay $50 plus bucks for a park hopper you would probably feel bad about a half day in the park.

I'll post some more details of the trip when we return. Just in cause you were wondering, this place still rocks!

Thanks,

Rick

Upvote 0

Woody13

rkillin said:
I think I have discovered one of the biggest advantages of coming to Disney fairly often. Assuming one can afford it. You can relax a lot more and not stress the number of rides you get to in a day. I think the annual pass helps as well. If you pay $50 plus bucks for a park hopper you would probably feel bad about a half day in the park.
Excellent discovery! :wave:

Upvote 0

jedimaster1227

rkillin said:
Three days in and we are having a blast.

This is a very different trip then I have ever experienced.

First, it's just my son and I. Second, it is the first trip we have taken in close to peak season and in the summer heat of Florida. IT is REALLY hot, (96 today,) and much more crowded that we are used too. So this is the way most people do Disney. hmm?

We have been hitting the parks super early and coming back to Riverside to swim every afternoon. Honestly, it is pretty fun and relaxing. Different, but actually a nice change.

I'll post some more details of the trip when we return. Just in cause you were wondering, this place still rocks!

Thanks,

Rick

Great to hear! :D Hope you two have a great time, because the time between a father and a son are the best! This I know, just remember to watch the heat at Animal Kingdom when you are there. When I was younger, my dad and I left Animal Kingdom in the middle of the day because we were too hot. Ride Kali River Rapids alot when you go!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

jedimaster1227 said:
Great to hear! :D Hope you two have a great time, because the time between a father and a son are the best! This I know, just remember to watch the heat at Animal Kingdom when you are there. When I was younger, my dad and I left Animal Kingdom in the middle of the day because we were too hot. Ride Kali River Rapids alot when you go!
...and drink lots of water!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Rick, I don't know what you do for a living, but why not pretend you have to cancel the camping trip because you have to go out of town on business? A business trip where you'll have to golf, and everyone is bringing their kids to be caddies? Let him know that he absolutely has to go with you, but he'll have SOME time to do fun things, like, there's an above-ground pool at the hotel, and the rec room has over 10 arcade games, and the hotel's restaurant has chicken fingers shaped like actual chickens! In other words, make it sound like the worst vacation for a kid ever, but tell him if he does it you'll make it up to him really soon. In fact, the golfing trip is happening close to Orlando, so MAYBE you can get to the Magic Kingdom for a few hours on the way back to the airport. And just keep that up until you land in Orlando. And just before you get to WDW, say "Oh, didn't I tell you? I'm a great big liar head, we're going to Disney World."

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom