How Busy is Disney Easter?

luv

I went to the MK on Easter Sunday last year and it wasn't nearly as bad as Christmas. Not even close. It was pretty busy, but I didn't feel like I was smooshed like a sardine the way I did on Christmas. More like a busy summer day. It's the only day of the Easter week that I went, though (I think.)

It's supposed to be really busy that whole week, though.

I doubt that was much help, but there you go. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Before our last trip, every visit to WDW throughout my entire life was made over Easter break. (Too many teachers in the family! :rolleyes:)

The crowds were heavy, but not insane. Relying on rope drop arrivals and making use of morning extra magic hours, we were able to do just about everything we wanted in each park by mid-morning. (We had to visit the MK this way twice -- the other parks once -- to get all the headliners in.) Between 11:00am and 7:00pm we either went back to the resort for a rest, or accepted that we'd be waiting in 30-90 minute lines.

Upvote 0

JerseyDad

...we were at WDW ...on OUR FIRST TRIP EVER back in 2004 ...the week leading up to Easter. (we departed Easter Sunday)

....and had I not gone back to WDW that fall ("Jersey Week") ....and had I not got a point of comparison of the two ....and ...mostly based on the crowds we saw in the spring ...I'd have NEVER gone back to WDW.

....we saw 120 minute waits on most of the 'major' rides ...and the crowds were ...as you can imagine ...crazy. Only way we got to do anything ...was EMH's.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

The one week I went during Easter/Spring Break, not only were all the parks packed but anywhere you went was packed. Pleasure Island (still open at the time) was packed. We were staying at Port Orleans Riverside and couldn't find chairs by the main pool because THAT was packed. Half an hour to get food in the food court. We wound up avoiding parks most of the time and tried to do all the things you talk about doing but rarely do because you're in the parks - renting watercraft, surrey bikes, resort hopping. Everywhere we went, with the occasional exception of the quiet pool near our room, there was no elbow room.

This was 2005. Prevailing attitudes of the time might have contributed to Easter being busier than "normal." As always YMMV.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

The one week I went during Easter/Spring Break, not only were all the parks packed but anywhere you went was packed. Pleasure Island (still open at the time) was packed. We were staying at Port Orleans Riverside and couldn't find chairs by the main pool because THAT was packed. Half an hour to get food in the food court. We wound up avoiding parks most of the time and tried to do all the things you talk about doing but rarely do because you're in the parks - renting watercraft, surrey bikes, resort hopping. Everywhere we went, with the occasional exception of the quiet pool near our room, there was no elbow room.

This was 2005. Prevailing attitudes of the time might have contributed to Easter being busier than "normal." As always YMMV.

Coincidentally, that was the last year _I_ was there for Easter break, and the one I had in mind for my comment above... we only survived by typically avoiding the parks from 11am-7pm!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

We may have to change our plans based on your posts.
Thank you all for your advice.

I think you'll be happy you did. After all those Easter visits, in 2012 DH and I bit the bullet, took the kids out of school for a week and went in mid-October during a "slow to moderate" crowd season. It was absolutely amazing. (The walkways in the parks still "felt" crowded, but only because people were spending so little time in line for attractions that they'd be in, out and back in the flow of traffic much more frequently!) It was the first visit to WDW where I felt I could truly relax and breathe in the atmosphere. Not only that, but our vacation (thanks to a room discount and lower airfare) cost about 1/3 less than if we'd traveled during Easter, when prices are at their peak and discounts/free dining are unavailable.

Although it was a little extra work prodding the kids to finish their homework due to the week they missed, we'd never do WDW any other way again!

Upvote 0

bethymouse

We went at Easter in 2009. We got to the parks before opening and stayed until around 11am. We came back for the night time hours. If you do that, you can ride all you want before the crowds come! We rode our favorites at least twice, and got fast passes for the later hours ( 11-noon). It was fun. You just have to know how to plan it out. Early birds do get that worm! Night owls catch that mouse ( no pun intended). It was EPCOT Flower & Garden Festival, so that was quite busy. But, beautiful! We saw Mr. & Mrs. Bunny too. What a great trip! I still would go, despite the crowds.:) Not sure how MMBands + will work with the new FP+ system and such though!:eek:

Upvote 0

sapper696

Original Poster
Thank you all, we are rethinking our plans, we dont want to spend $16000 plus for flights, accommadation and car hire for a holiday that could be a nightmare or we wont enjoy.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

Thank you all, we are rethinking our plans, we dont want to spend $16000 plus for flights, accommadation and car hire for a holiday that could be a nightmare or we wont enjoy.
If you can go another time, it's highly recommended. We've been the last 2 years as there was no other option aside from Christmas and that was definitely not going to happen. 2+ hour waits are pretty normal. We still has a great time and just avoided afternoons in the parks.

Upvote 0

pluto77

Yes, Easter is busy. I have never been on vacation over Easter, but when I was working there on the college program we were all working 60-70 hour weeks around Easter because of the business. I wouldn't ever advise not to go if that is the only time you have available, the trip can still be enjoyable by planning ahead of time now that you know how busy it is, but if you have another time you can go, it may be a more relaxing trip.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom