How big will MK24 really be...Crowd Comparison?

kmac77

Original Poster
Hey All,

Had a vacation booked before this whole "MK 24hr" announcement came along, and we're arriving on the 29th of February for a week. My question for all the experienced crowd watchers is, do you think that the 29th will be comparable in crowds to.....Value Season? Regular Season? X-Mas/New Years? Just curious as to everyone's 2 cents. Thanks a bunch!

KPM
56 days and counting to Wilderness Lodge

disney fan 13

Hey All,

Had a vacation booked before this whole "MK 24hr" announcement came along, and we're arriving on the 29th of February for a week. My question for all the experienced crowd watchers is, do you think that the 29th will be comparable in crowds to.....Value Season? Regular Season? X-Mas/New Years? Just curious as to everyone's 2 cents. Thanks a bunch!

KPM
56 days and counting to Wilderness Lodge

Expect regular crowds for the time.... And then add in the hardcore Disney fans

kmac77

Original Poster
Hey DF13,

Thanks. We've been in January, June, August & September, and let me tell you, nothing is hotter than the Animal Kingdom in August, or waiting for your daughter to meet Rapunzel in June in the MK! LOL. We can handle regular crowds. Now, here's the big question. I'm assuming that we can go to MK on the Wednesday, go back to the hotel nice an early (3 years old and 3 month old), and then go back on Thursday, and it will only be counted as one admission (one day), and not two?

KPM

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Hey DF13,

Thanks. We've been in January, June, August & September, and let me tell you, nothing is hotter than the Animal Kingdom in August, or waiting for your daughter to meet Rapunzel in June in the MK! LOL. We can handle regular crowds. Now, here's the big question. I'm assuming that we can go to MK on the Wednesday, go back to the hotel nice an early (3 years old and 3 month old), and then go back on Thursday, and it will only be counted as one admission (one day), and not two?

KPM

The 24-hour opening is 29th 6AM - 1st 6AM. So the park will close and re-open on the 1st. It'll cost you two admissions each.

As for crowds, since it's never happened, it's anybody's guess as to how crowded MK will be. With kids the ages you have I would avoid MK entirely that day.

Mouse Detective

I wish they had run this from midnight (or 12:01AM) on the 29th until midnight (or 11:59pm) at the end of the 29th. Then it really would have been a Leap Year Day event. The way they are doing it though, the overnight segment which is what really makes the event unique is all early morning on the 1st.

As for crowds, I think it wall draw pretty well. But since it is February/March before spring break and it is mid-week, it won't be crowded. I'm referring to Disney World here. Disneyland will probably be crazy crowded.

kmac77

Original Poster
Hey Monty,

Thanks. Would have been nice to be in the park for MK24, but I'm not wasting a day for an hour or two. We'll just go to MK on the Thursday when everyone has ridden all the rides to death, and we'll just walk on everything! :ROFLOL:

KPM

PirateFrank

Personally, I think this is a dumb gimmick. At the wee-hours of the morning, you're going to see some psychos out in the park, but I can't imagine the MK being packed with die-hards at 5am.

Also, a great deal of these specific day events require people to plan ahead.....a great deal. I booked my 40th anniversary (the MK, not me) trip for this past october, last november (in 2010). They announced this all-day event 2 months ahead of the actual day. Not many people are going to look at this and go "woah, we gotta book a vacation for that day..."

So really, it appears that Disney is pandering to the locals and the real psychos....nothing else.

It saddens me that this years 'promotion' is centered around this stupid stunt, and nothing else more. How far we've fallen from the year of a million dreams....

Pioneer Hall

Personally, I think this is a dumb gimmick. At the wee-hours of the morning, you're going to see some psychos out in the park, but I can't imagine the MK being packed with die-hards at 5am.

Also, a great deal of these specific day events require people to plan ahead.....a great deal. I booked my 40th anniversary (the MK, not me) trip for this past october, last november (in 2010). They announced this all-day event 2 months ahead of the actual day. Not many people are going to look at this and go "woah, we gotta book a vacation for that day..."

So really, it appears that Disney is pandering to the locals and the real psychos....nothing else.

It saddens me that this years 'promotion' is centered around this stupid stunt, and nothing else more. How far we've fallen from the year of a million dreams....

That's what I was thinking as well. While rumored for the last month, people didn't know anything for sure until the other night. It doesn't give much time to plan, and it also doesn't have the appeal of the 40th anniversary. However, if I learned anything after the 40th, it was to not underestimate just how intense this fan base can be. I'm planning on being there as of now, but I also only live about 90 minutes away so I can do this on a whim.

bgraham34

That is all it is. A gimmick but it could be fun none the less if you are there at the time.

plaz10

I think the crowds will be mostly locals and people who already had trips planned. I doubt that people (except die hard Disney fans) will plan a trip JUST for the bragging rights of "I rode Splash Mountain at 4:00 am!"

I'd personally go to the other parks during the day as most people will want to be a part of the event...especially with little kids.

Mickey_777

As cool as it might be to ride Pirates or whatever at 3 or 4 am, I can't see myself enjoying it since my body will be asking for sleep. I'm thinking many people realize this and the park is gonna be quite empty after 2 am. And if you have young children "fuggetaboutit" (New York accent)

Mickey92

The 24-hour opening is 29th 6AM - 1st 6AM. So the park will close and re-open on the 1st. It'll cost you two admissions each.

As for crowds, since it's never happened, it's anybody's guess as to how crowded MK will be. With kids the ages you have I would avoid MK entirely that day.

Monty, do you mean it will close at 6:00 on the 1st AFTER the 24 hour event and then re-open again later in the day of the 1st? If so, what time would it open again on the 1st? In the afternoon? Evening?

Thanks!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Monty, do you mean it will close at 6:00 on the 1st AFTER the 24 hour event and then re-open again later in the day of the 1st? If so, what time would it open again on the 1st? In the afternoon? Evening?

Thanks!

According to the Park calendar, MK opens for morning EMH at 8AM and regular hours start at 9AM on 1 March. It is worth noting that the park hours posted on the calendar do not currently reflect the 24-hour opening.

Looks like they'll have just enough time to ensure the park is clear before they open again.

JimboJones123

I really wish those upset would just realize this is a MARKETING PROMOTION!

The purpose is to create buzz, get the Disney brand out there when it normally wouldn't, and DO IT ALL FOR FREE!

Advertising without paying.

Sure, it is a tad of a copycat of the US HP 7.2 premier surprise promotion, but it is much bigger and will actually include attractions, not just an opportunity to buy stuff.

From a marketing standpoint it is AWESOME!

Sorry if it doesn't appeal to you personally, but it wasn't meant to. Deal with it.

These boards have been screaming for years that Disney shouldn't keep throwing out these generic promotions each year. Guess what? This time they didn't. So of course more complaints.

mickeysaver

I like the novelty factor of this particular promotion. If all it does is get us through the first couple of months of the year, then that is just fine with me. I have considered going to the MK on Leap Day, just to say that I was there. I am not so sure that being there in the wee smalls is going to be worth the loss of sleep that it would require to fully participate in the entire 24 hours. Maybe if I was younger and still had that desire to "beat the night" this might be a little more appealing. The fact that this is happening in the middle of the week is a bummer, because I know that there is going to be no way to work for at least 2, if not 3 days if I am going to do this and be there for the full 24 hours.

I am not sure that I am psycho enough for this one. I mean, I know that I have my fair share of psycho going on, but this situation quite possibly exceeds my limits.

Mickey2minnie1

I cannot be there, but I wish I could. Disney anytime is a great time to me. The Year of a Million Dreams was a vacation we will never forget. Thanks Disney for being our constant in life ;)

emcclay

If I could go to this, I would probably spend the earlier hours of the morning walking around and taking pictures.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I wonder if anyone will try and hide out in a crapper or in a dark corner of the POTC queue....to make it stretch another day! :hammer:

If they did, their passes wouldn't work for FPs. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure the CMs have clearing the park down to a science. Chances of someone succeeding are probably next to nil.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom